new directory from module? [solved]

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
pfisher
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 4.6.0

new directory from module? [solved]

Post#1 by pfisher » 21 Mar 2018, 20:25

I have a module containing a directory with dozens of files for a local site. When the kiosk iso runs, those files end up extracting to the root level, loose. Is there a way to make my module simply implement a folder (anywhere, so long as it is predictable and can be set to homepage)? Otherwise, would I need to have a script run at start to create a directory and then copy all the files into it (ugh)? That seems like it would take too long each startup. In other words, I am hoping:

some_module.xzm
|-->directory
|---->files

can extract somewhere predictable and retain that structure so "homepage" looks for /directory/files as below

root
|-->same directory name
|---->same directory files

I've seen posts about it but the closest I've come is all the files loose at the root level, as mentioned.
Last edited by pfisher on 23 Mar 2018, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

new directory from module?

Post#2 by Ed_P » 21 Mar 2018, 23:22

How did you make module.xzm? What commands did you use?
Ed

pfisher
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by pfisher » 22 Mar 2018, 16:33

Hi. I used the prescribed method of

mksquashfs /(from location)/* /(to location)/xzm/05-website.xzm -comp xz -b 256K -Xbcj x86 -noappend

Thank you

pfisher
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by pfisher » 22 Mar 2018, 16:56

You asking the question made me dig further and I did find the option for mksquashfs of "keep-as-directory". I suspect you may have been getting at that, so I will try it and update this thread.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 22 Mar 2018, 17:21

You need to run the mksquashfs command against the top folder and not the files inside the folder.
Top folder wont be included in the module.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 22 Mar 2018, 17:28

pfisher wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 16:56
I suspect you may have been getting at that,
:D Actually I was thinking of a fanthom command called dir2xzm. But the same command and options are used in it. :happy62:
Ed

pfisher
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by pfisher » 23 Mar 2018, 12:25

fanthom wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 17:21
You need to run the mksquashfs command against the top folder and not the files inside the folder.
Top folder wont be included in the module.

Thanks
I used the same mksquashfs command as mentioned earlier, but without the /* in order to do it against the top folder. It produced the same result. I will try the keep-as-directory option next and report back. Thanks for your time!

pfisher
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by pfisher » 23 Mar 2018, 14:28

Using keep-as-directory worked as I hoped. I now have a directory at the root level containing all my local web files.