Modify User Agent String in settings.xzm

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
saravanavigneshr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Windows

Post#1 by saravanavigneshr » 03 Mar 2018, 14:03

I have a requirement to change my Firefox User Agent frequently. I tried changing the prefs.js in the settings.xzm But the User Agent defined while building the Kiosk build overrides. Any idea what should I be doing? Should I create a seperate module say name userprefs.xzm and add my prefs.js in it?

Without this creating the entire build is cumbersome.

Any help on this is appreciated :) :)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 03 Mar 2018, 14:12

Easiest would be enable remote management (with nested configurations if needed) and update remote config with a cron job running on your server.
Remote management works with PXE boot.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

saravanavigneshr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Windows

Post#3 by saravanavigneshr » 03 Mar 2018, 14:27

Remote Management is not possible in my case. I have a wierd scenario wherein the user machine must not have a default gateway in the NIC. I was hoping there would be a way to override it using the modules.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 03 Mar 2018, 16:49

You can use 'run_command=' and sed command to edit $profile/prefs.js and change any text string you want it in.
Google for 'sed' usage examples.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.