Issues Unpacking and Recreating ISO

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
mmkiosktest23
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk Cloud 4.6.0

Post#1 by mmkiosktest23 » 14 Feb 2018, 15:30

I am attempting to add a module for simple-scan to the Porteus Kiosk Cloud version, but running into issues when trying to burn that ISO to a USB. It seems that the issue arises when I am unpacking and recreating the ISO because even if I take modules out of the equation and take the official kiosk cloud ISO (which I can burn to the same usb without issue), unpack it, then recreate it without making any changes to the file, the new ISO cannot be successfully burnt to the USB stick. Steps I am following:

1. Manually creating a folder on the desktop called "Unpacked"

2. Mounting the official iso: mount -o loop Cloud-kiosk.iso /mnt/cdrom (had to first create the cdrom folder as it didn't exist)

3. Copying files from iso to folder: cp -a /mnt/cdrom/* /root/desktop/Unpacked

4. Unmounting iso: umount /mnt/cdrom

5. Creating new iso: cd /root/desktop/Unpacked
bash make_iso.sh

I then copy the iso file to a windows 10 computer and use Win32DiskImager to burn the new iso to a flash drive. It doesnt throw any errors when burning to the drive, but when I try to open the drive after it has been burnt with the new iso, it will not open and says it needs to be formatted. I also am unable to boot from the drive.

If I take the official kiosk cloud iso and use Win32DiskImager to burn the official iso to the exact same usb stick as before, I can open the drive afterwards and it boots without issue.

I must be missing a step somewhere. Anyone spot it?

Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 14 Feb 2018, 16:16

A have answered to your email - not sure if you got it?

Anyway - reason seems to be obvious: you never ran isohybrid against you ISO. Please follow this doc carefully:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/kiosk-customization.html

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

mmkiosktest23
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk Cloud 4.6.0

Post#3 by mmkiosktest23 » 14 Feb 2018, 16:54

Yeah, I failed to mention that I also tried running the isohybrid command on the new iso. But after posting I realized, I hadnt tried using the -u flag with the isohybrid command and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks.