Total Newbie Guide to Standalone

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Woodland
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 4.2.0

Total Newbie Guide to Standalone

Post#1 by Woodland » 29 Dec 2016, 02:12

So I have this old Acer Aspire 5630 laptop given to me and I thought it would be a good idea to have it at work as a kiosk since my boss likes to order absolutely everything that comes in the flyer (weather or no it’s a good idea but that’s neither here nor there)

I played around with Porteus a but and it seems to be what I need. What I’m looking to do is build a webpage with publisher (since I’m familiar with it) and have a complete stand-alone system

The first problem I am running into is figuring out exactly to get the webpage on the computer itself. Do I need to install another operating system or use something like knoppix to install a file system?

Some of what I read points to “cheat codes” that need to be used but I do not know how to either get a command prompt, or, if a file should be modified outside of the usb stick/iso that I’ve been playing around with.

There was mention of a boot.cfg file that I am unable to locate on the stick itself, and with my unfamiliarity with linux I an left to wonder if it’s not installed on the hard drive itself.

I have also seen screen-shots of a GUI I have no idea how to access

It’s almost too bad I don’t have a server that can host the webpage because then I could use that URL as the only thing in the “white list” and this kiosk would be set up in about 3 seconds

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Total Newbie Guide to Standalone

Post#2 by fanthom » 29 Dec 2016, 09:56

Hello Woodland,

Yes - you need 3rd party system (like CentOS) which would work as a webserver.

Its also possible to modify kiosk ISO and include LAMP stack in it. This way you could host the webpage on a localhost. If you are interested in this solution then i would recommend kiosk customized builds service:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/builds.html

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Woodland
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 4.2.0

Post#3 by Woodland » 30 Dec 2016, 02:23

is this no longer relevant then?
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4422

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 30 Dec 2016, 11:16

Its still relevant if your webpage is static.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.