Dual Monitor Configuration Options

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
joel578
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: slax

Dual Monitor Configuration Options

Post#1 by joel578 » 04 May 2016, 17:14

Hi,

I am trying to use Kiosk Edition with a dual monitor setup and was hoping for some ideas as to the best solution as I have not worked with this distro before and have not found anything in the forums for this version.

The main (first) monitor will display a remote web page in kiosk mode, the second will display a video, in a loop, which is hosted online.

I'm thinking the video could be displayed in a second full screen Firefox window using HTML5 but and open to any/all suggestions.

Thanks for any assistance,
J

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Dual Monitor Configuration Options

Post#2 by fanthom » 05 May 2016, 16:30

Hello joel578,

You will need openbox recompiled with xinerama support if you want to run two applications on separate screens and in fullscreen:
Xinerama

Custom build is your only option i would say:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/builds.html
Please contact me through builds@porteus-kiosk.org if you are interested. I have created similar build in the past so should be no problem with this one.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

joel578
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by joel578 » 06 May 2016, 14:09

Thanks Fanthom,

Would the same be true if we launched a second Firefox window on the other display rather than another app?

Thanks again,
J

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 06 May 2016, 15:55

The problem is that you are trying to launch an application in fullscreen. Without xinerama support the window manager will treat two monitors as single one with size 3840x1080 (instead of 1920x1080 + 1920x1080) so it will open Firefox window on both monitors.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

joel578
Ronin
Ronin

Post#5 by joel578 » 09 May 2016, 20:02

I see.

I'll send you an email about a custom build.

Thanks,
J