Kiosk set MIMEType handling

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
pandason
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk

Kiosk set MIMEType handling

Post#1 by pandason » 10 Mar 2016, 12:09

I'm hoping this doesn't requier a "modification to the Kiosk ISO", but as it isn't really a bug I didn't think it was fair to post it there.

For a little background; users of our kiosks need to be able to view files hosted on an external webpage. These are PDF files, but unfortunately something seems to be wrong with how the MIMEtype of the file is defined as firefox doesn't realise it's a PDF and so doesn't know what to do with it. This is what it shows when I open within the desktop edition;

If (on the desktop edition) I set "Open with" and select /usr/bin/firefox and click "Do this automagically" then it happily opens in Firefox;

This results in a row being added to the applications list in the preferences;

As far as I'm aware, this is saved in the Firefox profile within 'mimeTypes.rdf'.

What I'd like to know is if there is any way of setting this on the kiosk through the about:config parameter, or will it require editting one of the modules we use to build the kiosk?

Thanks for your help.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Kiosk set MIMEType handling

Post#2 by fanthom » 10 Mar 2016, 12:30

You could try inline disposition addon (check it under Desktop first):
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sposition/

If it wont work then modification to mimeTypes.rdf will be required as file associations are not handled by about:config preferences as far as i'm aware.

Thanks.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

pandason
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk

Post#3 by pandason » 10 Mar 2016, 16:00

Thanks for your response. Sadly that addon doesn't seem to work so I will have to resort to updating the module. I was hoping to avoid having to visit each of the kiosks to reinstall :(

Thanks anyway!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 12 Mar 2016, 07:31

I have removed last two posts as its better to not reveal such information publicly (kiosk security wise).

Please contact me on support@porteus-kiosk.org if you need my help.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.