Custom iso that wont need to download modules from internet

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
davefor
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.6.0

Custom iso that wont need to download modules from internet

Post#1 by davefor » 18 Dec 2015, 16:34

Hi
I am looking to make a custom iso that has all the modules I need like say 002-chrome.xzm and 08-ssh.xzm. I don't want to connect
to the porteus kiosk web site to download the modules. Can I just put the modules in the xzm folder and make a new iso?
Also I think the wizard also is a download but it's a zip file is their a way to install this in the iso.?

If the above will not work can I put the modules and wizard on my web server and somehow point the installer to it?

Thanks
Dave

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Custom iso that wont need to download modules from inter

Post#2 by fanthom » 18 Dec 2015, 16:45

"I am looking to make a custom iso that has all the modules I need like say 002-chrome.xzm and 08-ssh.xzm. I don't want to connect
to the porteus kiosk web site to download the modules. Can I just put the modules in the xzm folder and make a new iso?
"
Yes - this is possible.

"Also I think the wizard also is a download but it's a zip file is their a way to install this in the iso.?"
This is not possible - wizard must be downloaded from our server to verify that connection works ok.

"If the above will not work can I put the modules and wizard on my web server and somehow point the installer to it?"
This is not possible. Perhaps i could introduce such feature in the "Porteus Kiosk Server" version "Enterprise" (does not exist yet) which would pull modules/updates from the main server (porteus-kiosk.org) and then redistribute them to the clients. That would probably make sense for the large deployments only ...

If you embed the modules in the ISO then kiosk will have to download only the wizard (30 KB) and installation should be fast enough.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.