Same ISO for BIOS and UEFI

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
chkchaitu
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus-Kiosk

Same ISO for BIOS and UEFI

Post#1 by chkchaitu » 05 Jul 2015, 15:28

Hi, Can I have same ISO created for both Normal BIOS based system and UEFI based system and use it to boot from PXE server for network boot.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Same ISO for BIOS and UEFI

Post#2 by Ed_P » 05 Jul 2015, 18:17

chkchaitu wrote:Hi, Can I have same ISO created for both Normal BIOS based system and UEFI based system and use it to boot from PXE server for network boot.
I don't know about PXE but the same ISO on a USB drive will boot on both types of systems.

-edit-
I mis-spoke. The UEFI ISO when installed on a USB drive can boot on both UEFI & normal BIOS sytsems.

Hopefully that is clearer. This posting may help explain it better: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33604
Ed

chkchaitu
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by chkchaitu » 07 Jul 2015, 11:45

Hi Ed, Thank you for the reply. but looks like PXE would not boot. This is from my very little time I could spend. Will check thoroughly and update

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 07 Jul 2015, 14:01

UEFI ISO should work for BIOS and EFI systems.
the reason its not used by default is that some mobos does not like UEFI hybrid images.

for UEFI PXE boot you may follow this tutorial (never tried myself):
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=4076
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

chkchaitu
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by chkchaitu » 15 Jul 2015, 07:06

Thank you for the link, will try this some time soon.