Adding the Wizard to the ISO

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.3.0

Adding the Wizard to the ISO

Post#1 by Debadr » 13 May 2015, 09:21

Hi :)

Using PKE 3.3 i want to have all files on the ISO image : Modules and Wizard. Why ? because where i have to implement the solution there is no WAN (Internet access), its a LAN with access to LAN servers and done, they can't for example download modules or even wizard.
For the Modules its ok i added them to the ISO and it works successfully.
But for the wizard i don't know where exactly i can put it and of course how to tell the shell script

Code: Select all

/../kiosk/boot/initrd.xz/initrd/init 
file where to find it.
I know that the changes would probably be in this section of the program : (according to my newbie capacities to read this huge shell script)

echo $i"downloading kiosk data from the server"
./busybox wget -q -O /mnt/default.jpg http://$IP/docs/default.jpg; ./busybox wget -q -O /mnt/kiosk.sgn http://$IP/docs/kiosk.sgn
for x in `./busybox wget -q -O- http://$IP/xzm | tr " " "\n" | grep -i "href.*.xzm</" | cut -d">" -f2 | cut -d"<" -f1`; do echo "$x" >>/tmp/modules-pxe; done
grep -q xzm /tmp/modules-pxe 2>/dev/null && rm -rf /lib || { echo "[31m""HTTP server not accessible? - exiting ...""[0m"; escape; }; NUM=`grep -c '.' /tmp/modules-pxe 2>/dev/null`
for y in `cat /tmp/modules-pxe 2>/dev/null`; do echo -en "[1;33m""  ($NUM modules left)  \r""[0m"; let NUM=NUM-1; ./busybox wget -q -O $PTH/$y http://$IP/xzm/$y 2>/dev/null; done
killall busybox; for nic in `ls /sys/class/net | grep eth`; do ifconfig $nic down; done
But where and what ? :%)
May be the person who programed it could help @Fanthom :).
Thank you
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Adding the Wizard to the ISO

Post#2 by fanthom » 14 May 2015, 08:33

Hello Debadr,

embedding the wizard with the ISO is not possible as kiosk must test internet connection (by downloading wizard/components from the server) prior to installation and this is hardcoded in the ISO. you may do as follows:

1) boot kiosk on some PC with internet access
2) set up all the parameters as you like
3) edit kiosk config and change/inject parameters specific for the network where kiosk will be working:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/screens/wizard/config.png
4) on the installation page in the wizard press 'Skip' button
5) upload created ISO to some online storage
6) boot live linux (Porteus desktop?) on the destination PC and burn kiosk ISO on the hard drive manually:

dd if=Porteus-Kiosk-3.1-i486.iso of=/dev/sdb
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by Debadr » 15 May 2015, 06:38

fanthom wrote:Hello Debadr,

embedding the wizard with the ISO is not possible as kiosk must test internet connection (by downloading wizard/components from the server) prior to installation and this is hardcoded in the ISO. you may do as follows:

1) boot kiosk on some PC with internet access
2) set up all the parameters as you like
3) edit kiosk config and change/inject parameters specific for the network where kiosk will be working:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/screens/wizard/config.png
4) on the installation page in the wizard press 'Skip' button
5) upload created ISO to some online storage
6) boot live linux (Porteus desktop?) on the destination PC and burn kiosk ISO on the hard drive manually:

Hi Fanthom,

i'll give it a try Monday :) and give a feedback.

Thank you.
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by Debadr » 18 May 2015, 07:46

Hi Fanthom,

I've tried your solution, and it works very fine, but what i noticed is that the OS is burning on the ISO which i put on a CD.
Is there any solution for letting the OS burning on the hard drive so i don't need the CD after the first installation ? without having to do it manually of course.

Thank you.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#5 by fanthom » 19 May 2015, 07:31

im sorry but i dont understand what you are trying to do.
wizard produces kiosk.iso which you need to upload to online storage. now you need to boot any linux (other than kiosk) on the target PC, download kiosk.iso and burn it on the hard drive using 'dd' command.

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by Debadr » 19 May 2015, 08:14

Hi Fanthom,

Sorry for the miss understanding.
What i am trying to say is: with the configuration file on the web server, this solution wont work because the OS is on the CD and we can't re-burn the OS since he is on the CD if we have done some modifications on the configuration file.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 19 May 2015, 09:00

CD is read only so kiosk cant reconfigure itself. please burn the ISO on the hard drive/usb stick/flash card with 'dd' command i provided:

(you need to modify above command to match your ISO and device)

and all will be good.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#8 by Rava » 06 Jun 2015, 03:26

Since Debadr not responded, me presumes he got it all right now.

just to make it absolutely foolproof for any other new users finding this post:
fanthom wrote:CD is read only so kiosk cant reconfigure itself. please burn the ISO on the hard drive/usb stick/flash card with 'dd' command i provided:

(you need to modify above command to match your ISO and device)
Check which is the target's hard drive, most often that would be /dev/sda , even when you boot from CD or an USB stick, cause the later usually is /dev/sdb even when it's the boot device, and the first internal hard disk is usually /dev/sda. Best check this as root with

fdisk -l
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#9 by Debadr » 08 Jun 2015, 09:39

Rava wrote:Since Debadr not responded, me presumes he got it all right now.
Hi Rava,

Thanks for your contribution (I thought I had made a last reply to the topic).

Actually i given up this idea, not it was not good, but it would be to too much work and time for something that could be done in 2 minutes directly with the iso on the cd drive and with a real installation. :(

So with my contributor and superiors we decided to make normal installations.