[SOLVED]running static web site

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
wnsfi
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3

[SOLVED]running static web site

Post#1 by wnsfi » 04 Mar 2015, 13:43

I want to use a porteus kiosk installed on a hard drive to be able to access a web site which is stored on the hard drive.
I have installed a copy , set up the kiosk to be able to access local files and set the firefox web page to open a file on the hard drive.
How can I get the web page onto the hard drive to enable the kiosk firefox to access the file?

I have tried booting up with another linux distribution and dropping the web file to the " correct" HD path in the kiosk but this seems to disappear on reboot.
I assume I am missing something during the boot up and that the web site needs to be incorporated into the iso used to make the HD version in some way.
However being a linux n00b this is beyond me.
Can someone point me in the correct direction.
Thanks
Last edited by wnsfi on 07 Mar 2015, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: running static web site

Post#2 by francois » 04 Mar 2015, 15:18

Did you have a look at the documentation on the kiosk wizard:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/wizard.html

Here is a post on setting kiosk on hdd:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=2567
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

wnsfi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by wnsfi » 04 Mar 2015, 19:55

Hi Francois,
Thanks for the reply.
I have already been able to get Kiosk running from the hard drive to enable me to browse out to the internet.
What I want to do is to only browse a web site which is located on the same hard drive as the kiosk install.
During the set up I have allowed kiosk to browse the hDD files and I have set a path for the "home page".
But how do I get the web site onto the hard drive to enable the home page link to work.
I did not see how that can be done during the installation of Kiosk on the HDD.
I tried to copy the web site to the kiosk HDD using an other linux distro CD to boot up the kiosk but it does not seem to persist on Kiosk reboot.
So two questions really.
1)Where should I save a web page once the kiosk has been installed to a hard drive so that it is persistant.
2) How do I get the web page onto the hard drive when / after installing Kiosk.
I will keep searching.
Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 04 Mar 2015, 20:08

@wnsfi
your static html webpage must go to separated module and into remastered ISO. everything is described with details in this thread:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3288

if your offline page will be updated quite often then i would recommend enabling persistence (create persistent partition on a hd) and updating the content with rsync/ftp/sshfs/etc. this could be done through the commercial 'custom kiosk builds' service:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/builds.html

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

wnsfi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by wnsfi » 04 Mar 2015, 20:55

@fanthom,
Thanks, that looks like the info I need to follow.
Cheers

wnsfi
White ninja
White ninja

Re: [SOLVED]running static web site

Post#6 by wnsfi » 07 Mar 2015, 15:07

Thanks to various posters here I have been able to burn a web site to a Porteus_Kiosk Cd for use in a stand alone Kiosk environment.
Not being a Linux guru I used a combination of Ubuntu GUI and command line.
The purist may scoff but I managed to learn a little and achieve what I wanted.. perhaps this will also help others.

1) Install Ubuntu to the PC hard drive.
2) Start Ubuntu and insert Porteus_Kiosk iso disk in CD drive.
3) Copy iso to Home folder
4) Remove Porteus_Kiosk iso CD
5) Extract Porteus_Kiosk iso to Folder using GUI , rename folder as kiosk.
6) Copy folder containing static web site to /home.
7) Check that web site works correctly in Ubuntu.. I had issues with capitalisation and scripts which needed to be changed to run in linux.
8) Using GUI or Cmd create folder structure /tmp/fakeroot/usr/bin
9) Copy working website to /tmp/fakeroot/usr/bin/website
10) Open terminal window (CTRL+ALT+T)
11) Type "sudo mksquashfs /tmp/fakeroot /tmp/newmodule.xzm -comp xz -b 256K -Xbcj x86 -noappend"
12) This will create a new file newmodule.xzm in /tmp
13) Rename to 005-web.xzm and copy to home/kiosk/xzm
14) The web site is now within the module and once burnt to a new Iso should be available on a system booted from the Porteus CD.
15) To create the iso Open terminal and navigate to /home/kiosk – cd or cd.. ,to move around, ls to list contents
16) Type "sudo mkisofs -o ../Porteus-Kiosk.iso -l -J -joliet-long -R -D -A "Porteus-Kiosk" \ -V "Porteus-Kiosk" -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -boot-load-size 4 \ -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/isolinux.boot $efi . > /dev/null 2>&1"
17) This will create a new Porteus_Kiosk.iso in /home.
18) The iso can then be burn to Cd and tested by rebooting the PC using the newly created iso in live mode.
19) Ensure you set firefox to be able to read files from the PC and set the home page as "file:///usr/bin/website/index.html"
20) Once you have fully tested the set up, use the new iso to over write Ubuntu and the PC and set to boot from hard drive.

The result a static web site running on a stand alone Kiosk. Hope this helps