Kernel Konfusion [SOLVED]

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Kernel Konfusion [SOLVED]

Post#1 by Dave99 » 04 Jan 2015, 12:53

Hi all

I'm running Porteus desktop (3.13.6) on a computer from USB stick (sda1).

According to fanthom's instructions, I have copied the desktop kernel (000-kernel.xzm) from /mnt/sda1/porteus/base
and placed it in another directory named:

/mnt/sda1/modifications/KioskISO-ToBuild/porteus/base to replace the original kiosk kernel.
(also copied vmlinuz from desktop).

I then make a hybrid iso, booted off USB stick on another computer and when I run uname -r, it reports 3.13.6-porteus-kiosk and not 3.13.6-porteus
and as a consequence, it will not load pl2303.ko reporting "Invalid module format".

I have double checked that the kernel is from the desktop edition and yet it reports it's from the kiosk edition.

Any help appreciated as to what I might be doing wrong.

Thank you.
Dave.

UPDATE:

I have found that under /lib/modules (in the running modified kisok) there are two directories, namely:

3.13.6-porteus and 3.13.6-porteus-kiosk

Surely this is wrong? although I definitely used the 000-kernel.xzm from the desktop edition.
Could the 3.13.6-porteus-kiosk directory be created/added by the make_iso.sh script somehow?

I also tried insmod a .ko from the porteus-kiosk and it worked but the ones from the proteus (desktop) edition failed with the error described above.
I also noticed that the insmod version from the desktop edition is kmod ver 16 whilst that from the kiosk edition is kmod version 15 if that has any bearing.
Last edited by Dave99 on 04 Jan 2015, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: Kernel Konfusion

Post#2 by Dave99 » 04 Jan 2015, 15:50

OK another update.

Found that the second "kernel" i.e. 3.13.6-porteus-kiosk is being created from 001-core.xzm
Should I rather take it out (the directory that is) and thus only have one "kernel" i.e. the one from 000-kernel.xzm (from the desktop edition)?
If so, will it not have other repercussions or does the kiosk simply run 3.13.6-porteus-kiosk because it's newer as it was created when 001-core.xzm was loaded
which is after 000-kernel.xzm?

Dave.

Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: Kernel Konfusion

Post#3 by Dave99 » 04 Jan 2015, 17:00

Right solved, my silly mistake.
Got confused between the vmlinuz from desktop and kiosk and was still using the one from kiosk.

The way I found it was looking at the contents of both vmlinuz files.
The one from kiosk points to 3.13.6-porteus-kiosk at offset 0x03150, whilst the one from desktop points to 3.13.6-porteus at offset 0x033A0

Interestingly, the vmlinuz from the desktop edition is a DOS executable (MZ signature in the header).
Had a good laugh about that, using a DOS executable to load a linux kernel. :D

Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: Kernel Konfusion [SOLVED]

Post#4 by Dave99 » 04 Jan 2015, 21:34

Another method to check for which vmlinuz is which (for those that also change them around) is:

Code: Select all

strings /path/to/vmlinuz | grep porteus
It will return either 3.13.6-porteus (plus some other info) or 3.13.6-porteus-kiosk.

The 3.13.6 version number will change according to the one that is being used.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 05 Jan 2015, 13:34

you could also run 'file vmlinuz' :)
(file utility must be in recent version)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by Dave99 » 05 Jan 2015, 14:35

Thanks fanthom.

I'm actually very glad I made a mistake with the two versions of vmlinuz as it forced me to investigate further
and in doing so taught me a lot about the "nitty-gritty" of Porteus which I otherwise would have just glanced over.

Dave.