No Default or UI configuration directive found [SOLVED]

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
rgcab
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: porteus kiosk

No Default or UI configuration directive found [SOLVED]

Post#1 by rgcab » 24 Dec 2014, 23:53

Have been trying the Porteus Kiosk edition and it's really great - small, fast, everything you would want from a kiosk. Except java. When I install the kiosk without the java option it installs and runs perfectly well, when I try to enable the java option it installs to the hard disk as expected but then will not boot up, displaying the message above - 'No default or UI configuration directive found'. This only happens after trying to install it with java enabled and has happened on multiple machines - every single machine I have tried to install it on, whether installing from CD or USB, and whether installing 3.1 or 3,2. In all cases without exception, attempting to install it with java results in a non-functional system that does not boot and installing it without delivers a kiosk that runs beautifully - except for the browser not working with pages that need java.

This is so frustrating as it would otherwise be ideal, and surely I can't be the only person experiencing this? Any ideas for a solution to the problem?

Thanks
Richard
Last edited by rgcab on 28 Dec 2014, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: No Default or UI configuration directive found

Post#2 by fanthom » 26 Dec 2014, 11:36

hi Richard,

how much of RAM your PCs have? must be below 512MB i guess?
anyway - i have updated 3.2.0 ISOs so please download it again. tried in Vbox with 128MB of RAM assigned and it installs fine for base components. 256MB should allow you to enable all extra modules available in the wizard.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rgcab
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: porteus kiosk

Re: No Default or UI configuration directive found [SOLVED]

Post#3 by rgcab » 28 Dec 2014, 17:18

Yes, it seems to have been a RAM issue, and yes the ISO does install now with java, although with java installed the kiosk really seems to need 512Mb RAM. But that should be possible to arrange..

Many thanks
Richard

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 28 Dec 2014, 21:51

for my own curiosity - whats the current RAM amount in your PCs?

for next release i may consider autodetecting RAM size during boot and enable/disable copy2ram feature if PC has 256MB or less.
with copy2ram disabled 256MB should be enough for handling all types of kiosk activity.

thanks

phaysom
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.3

Re: No Default or UI configuration directive found

Post#5 by phaysom » 22 Apr 2015, 11:56

Hi,

We have the same error message when trying to install to a Plasma display with integrated motherboard which has !GB memory.

Not sure why this would be a problem.

Basic config nothing added on.

Works fine on all other standard desktop PCs

Using Version 3.3

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 22 Apr 2015, 16:36

hello phaysom,

i guess you meant 1GB? what are other specs of this PC? please post an URL.
to clarify things: you are able to boot the kiosk but it wont work after installation - is this correct?