Assign Static IP to kiosk

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.7 kiosk

Re: Assign Static IP to kiosk

Post#16 by rh102801 » 14 Jul 2014, 18:48

I tried it shortly after asking the question but somehow I broke the ISO. It started booting and gets stuck on the porteus kiosk background and never finished booting to my home page.This could have something to do with the way I create my ISOs I am not sure but I have had similar results in the past with other changes to certain files.
I'll try it again and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks

cinmar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#17 by cinmar » 25 Nov 2014, 16:43

Hi everybody,
I bump this thread because I did not manage to set a different static IP on my kiosk with Porteus 3.1.3
Here is what I tried:

1) Followed the wizard and installed Porteus Kiosk on hard disk by clicking "burn" at the end of the procedure
2) Kiosk normally boots from hard disk and has the IP address set from wizard
3) Edited /etc/rc.d/rc.local adding: ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 and making it executable (If I execute rc.local the PC changes its IP address)
4) At restart the kiosk has the old IP address and rc.local is empty.

Is it possible to change IP address to a kiosk installed on hard disk? I would do that because during installation I set an IP that has no limitations and the installation wizard can download java and flash packages; after installation i change the IP to a limited one, that can only reach a few sites.

Thank you in advance.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#18 by fanthom » 25 Nov 2014, 16:55

hi cinmar,

you can do it from the wizard. press 'Edit' on the final config page -> change network settings -> press 'Save' -> proceed with installation/ISO creation (if you are uploading it to online storage).
it's shown on the video up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALmZ9R5rew
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

cinmar
White ninja
White ninja

Post#19 by cinmar » 26 Nov 2014, 11:35

fanthom wrote:hi cinmar,

you can do it from the wizard. press 'Edit' on the final config page -> change network settings -> press 'Save' -> proceed with installation/ISO creation (if you are uploading it to online storage).
it's shown on the video up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALmZ9R5rew
hi fanthom!
i watched your video, but, as far as I understood, the sequence is:
arrive at the end of the wizard-> change IP address->Click on burn->xzm modules are downloaded-> Kiosk is installed on hard disk. So I change Ip address before downloading xzm modules and installing on hard disk...? I would need the opposite: install the system, then change IP address.

Thanks for the patience!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#20 by fanthom » 26 Nov 2014, 13:27

you dont have to install the kiosk on the hard disk - just press 'Skip' button on the last page and upload your ISO to online storage.
this way you can install it manually on some other PC (with different network settings i assume) whenever you want.

i have demonstrated this method in the video. moreover - i have copied whole previously prepared config showing that everything what you choose in the wizard can be changed prior to installation.

cinmar
White ninja
White ninja

Post#21 by cinmar » 11 Dec 2014, 09:16

Hi fanthom, I think I did not get it yet :sorry:
Following your suggestion, I did not install Porteus on the pc where I run the wizard, but I pressed on "Skip" and got the ISO.

If I boot another PC using that ISO, I get a live version of Porteus, that boots but does not show options to install it and to change IP address...What am I doing wrong?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#22 by fanthom » 12 Dec 2014, 09:38

@cinmar

final config page in the wizard is where you can change every kiosk settings manually:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/screens/wizard/config.png

do it this way:
a) set hostname in the wizard to 'something'
b) change 'hostname=something' to 'hostname=anything' on the final config page
c) press 'Skip' on the installation page
d) after manual installation your kiosk will have hostname set to 'anything'

if that works then do the same for network settings. it's bit more complicated (more parameters to change) but i believe in you. just play with it for a while.

cinmar
White ninja
White ninja

Post#23 by cinmar » 18 Dec 2014, 15:36

Hi fanthom,
following your last suggestion the IP change worked!
Packages are correctly downloaded during installation using the "unblocked" IP, then the installed system boots with "blocked" IP.

Thanks a lot! :good: