Remote page control

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
bsnwhome
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.1

Remote page control

Post#1 by bsnwhome » 02 Jul 2014, 21:55

I have a question about remote control of the kiosk. This is a home project and looking for a solution that cost little to nothing for software. Porteus-Kiosk would fit the bill to the T if I can answer this problem.

I use HP thin clients with open source software as set top boxes for my TVs. I control the set top boxes with Android tablets and an app as the remote control. Adding the concept of having screens through out my house much like digital signage all I need is a web browser to be displayed. I plan to use the same type of thin clients for my displays with Porteus-Kiosk. Seems perfect, lite weight, Linux based and displays web browser in full screen.

I plan to have displays through my house showing web pages with certain content like network/environmental monitoring, stock trading tickers and graphs, security camera feeds, etc……. The only one of my planned displays that I am still facing a problem with is the security cameras. The security cameras displays on a web page and that’s just fine. The problem I am faced with is the possibility to remotely click on the web page interface for the cameras.

The security camera monitors will be mounted to the thin client and the thin client mounted to the wall. They will be mounted higher up on the wall for better viewing from any where in the room. This limits the ability to have a mouse/keyboard attached in order to control the camera views.

I am posting this hoping someone has encountered something like this and might know of a work around. The ideal answer would be a an Android app to control the web page remotely much like I do with my set top boxes. It would allow me to use my tablets as a touch mouse pad much like the one you see on laptops but wireless. Move my finger along the tablet screen and it would move a pointer on the monitor. Tap or double tab the tablet screen would simulate mouse clicks. I thought of having a wireless mouse but then I would need one in every room and I went to using tablets because I got tired of having to find a remote much less a wireless mouse (I have kids lol). :)

Any suggestions is welcomed, once this is solved then its just a matter of putting everything in place.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

bsnwhome
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.1

Re: Remote page control

Post#2 by bsnwhome » 02 Jul 2014, 22:14

Let add to my own post.

I know there are apps out there that will turn android devices into a wireless mouse but are there any that will work with Porteus and what I need to install on Porteus.

Thanks