Several questions about the Kiosk Edition

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Several questions about the Kiosk Edition

Post#1 by Dave99 » 01 May 2014, 09:37

Hi all

Still very new to Porteus Kiosk and have several questions:

1) With reference to this thread http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3288 :
Where would /tmp reside in the case of the Kiosk booting of:
i) A CD
ii) A USB stick

2) Is JavaScript enabled by default in FireFox?

3) Can the kiosk be made to auto start another binary (not in XZM) instead of FireFox?

4) Does the Kiosk support gtkdialog scripts?

5) Are the kernel modules included for the Prolific USB to serial converters (like many other distros)?

Thank you in advance.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Several questions about the Kiosk Edition

Post#2 by fanthom » 02 May 2014, 09:55

Hi Dave99,

1) /tmp was not the best example as this dir is used by system processes so you have to be careful about permissions. please go with /opt instead.
to add extra soft/files to kiosk just create your own module as described in Kiosk FAQ.
2) yes
3) yes - Kiosk FAQ again.
4) no but you could add gtkdialog package to it and it would support it then
5) no because i cant imagine how these drivers could be useful in kiosk

btw: brokenman has plans to launch a 'thin client' Porteus edition (based on openbox) which should contain more drivers and soft in general. it will also be unrestricted and more friendly to modifications (as far as i know) so maybe it would suit you better?

if you need restricted environment like kiosk then please grab vmlinuz + 000-kernel.xzm from our desktop edition and add them to the kiosk ISO. this will give you 'usb to serial' drivers and many more (not really need in kiosk like RAID/SCSI and such).

good luck!
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by Dave99 » 02 May 2014, 12:09

Hi fanthom

Thank you very much for the reply.
I will look at vmlinuz + 000-kernel.xzm and also look forward to the arrival of the thin client edition.

Dave.

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by quotaholic » 03 Jun 2016, 15:02

Wondering if the status of serial to usb modules in the kernel has changed in recent releases?

I recently became the IT guy for a retail marijuana shop in colorado. We use all in one HP and Lenovo windows desktops to support a hosted Point Of Sale interface. I am finding that the windows 10 upgrade causes my computers to fall on their face for three days after the update fails while I rebuild from recovery partition. Cant have a register down for any time at all really so I would like to try a linux distro via usb as all I really need is a bar code scanner, zebra thermal printer, star tcp receipt printer/ cash drawer side car and the scale value to populate a field in the sales interface with the weight it is currently reading. All usb level stuff except that rs-232 scale.

Would rather use a stable operating system however I have rs232 scales that are a state regulation and convert them to usb communication. Unidirectional. Can anyone indicate if they put in the usb - rs232 stuff in the kernel.config?

Thanks

quotaholic

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 03 Jun 2016, 16:29

Yes - all necessary serial or usb->serial drivers are available in the kiosk kernel.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.