[Solved] default website local html file

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.7 kiosk

[Solved] default website local html file

Post#1 by rh102801 » 31 Mar 2014, 19:06

I am trying to make my default website for users at the kiosk be a local html file with I have placed in the /rootcopy directory but I am not having much success.
Is this possible at all? Would that be the correct location if this is possible to accomplish?

Thanks
Last edited by rh102801 on 01 Apr 2014, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: default website local html file

Post#2 by fanthom » 01 Apr 2014, 12:32

3 things to do:
a) enable 'file://' protocol in the wizard to be able to access local files
b) place the html file in some location accessible by guest (like /tmp/my-web)
c) set firefox homepage to file:///tmp/my-web/index.html

should be ok :)

btw: once again - please post all kiosk related questions in kiosk section of the forum.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: default website local html file

Post#3 by rh102801 » 01 Apr 2014, 16:51

This worked perfectly.... Thanks once more fanthom

Sorry about this not being on the Kiosk section. I didn't realize.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: [Solved] default website local html file

Post#4 by brokenman » 02 Apr 2014, 02:42

Moved to kiosk section where others may find it useful.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jondw1970
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk

Post#5 by jondw1970 » 24 Jun 2014, 15:05

Hi, very very new to any form of Linux - and are looking to implement a simple Kiosk for internet use. Read with interest concept of Porteus and particularly this post as wanted to use a local HTML page as a 'portal' for the public user to access a couple of different sites (ie as a landing page)

So...(and I expect to get flak here for not spending time reading all docs) - but if someone could point me in sort of direction to where I should be looking (again, excuse ignorance of file system)

1. Wizard burnt onto DVD, laptop booted and options selected.
2. Click BURN to inserted USB disk
3. 'Assumed' that this would burn a bootable USB, but (tried 2 x USB sticks) comes up with error in ISO, burn again...
4. Managed (don't know how) to eventually work (a 3rd USB stick, not sure what difference) - but how would I then insert the local HTM file as per this thread? - I tried loading onto local copy of Ubuntu...it couldn't read the (working) USB stick

Guessing USB sticks need some kind of prep and was lucky, but what method would local changes to the pre-written USB would be best for me to try?

Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 24 Jun 2014, 20:13

hi jondw1970,

please do as follows:
a) boot the kiosk from DVD
b) setup everything in the wizard as you like (remember to enable file:// protocol)
c) set firefox's homepage to http:///opt/website/index.html
d) on the last page press 'Skip' button instead of 'Burn'
e) upload /mnt/kiosk.iso to some online storage (like gmail or mediafire)
f) boot Ubuntu and remaster kiosk.iso as per this doc:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/kiosk-customization.html

your local website could go to 003-settings.xzm or external module like: website.xzm/opt/website/(your website content here).

good luck!

btw: please try to do this yourself but in case of troubles i could do this job for you (deliver ready to go ISO) through the commercial 'Customized Builds' service:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/builds.html

thanks

rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by rh102801 » 09 Jul 2014, 15:44

jondw1970

You should've post this as a new post in my opinion as it is harder for someone to see it when posted as a reply to a "Resolved" post.
As fanthom said, you might one to try to do this yourself as that's really the best way to learn your way around the system. I am both a Linux newbie and a Porteus Kiosk newbie but with the help of the forum I am quickly learning my way around the system.

You would use the Wizard to set things up initially and as fanthom said make sure you enable file browsing in the wizard. In my case I created a folder inside the porteus/rootcopy/tmp/ directory and placed my html files in there, then when specifying a home page I had to point it to file:///tmp/mywebsite/mywebsite.html
I have not tried adding it as a module so I can't speak to that. Either way, you are going to have to edit the ISO you create with the Wizard to include your files either in the rootcopy directory or as a module. I don't think there is a way in the wizard to do add those files. It is well documented how to edit the ISO and it is a fairly straight forward process.
I'll be happy to assist you if you have questions. As fanthom said, try to do this yourself as it is the best way to learn but if you have time constraints or are having issues and don't have time to sort thru them, the custom service is outstanding and very reasonable. I have used it myself and highly recommend it for cases when you don't have enough time to work out some issues or things are really over your head.

nick223
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Slax

Post#8 by nick223 » 29 Jan 2015, 02:57

I'm new in Linux and I'm facing the same problem as other before.
I just don't get the process :cry: and thank you to help me to figure out this. :o

Code: Select all

01 Apr 2014, 13:32  :  b) place the html file in some location accessible by guest (like /tmp/my-web).
How do you do that ?
I boot with the CD ISO kiosk and my website is on a USB key.

f) boot Ubuntu and remaster kiosk.iso as per this doc:
It's quite complicated to modify and recompress the 003-settings.xzm. I understand this is the powerfull way to do it but I would like to avoid

09 Jul 2014, 16:44  In my case I created a folder inside the porteus/rootcopy/tmp/ directory and placed my html files in there
How can you do that ?
I can't add anything on a CD boot.
I do not have acces to the USB drive where is my website.

Thank you for your help.

Nick

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 29 Jan 2015, 11:19

hi Nick,

"I just don't get the process :cry: and thank you to help me to figure out this. :o"

this is the process;
- you have to grab installation ISO from kiosk download page
- remaster it as per kiosk documentation
- create new module containing your local content (you have to keep your html page inside the module eg /opt/local_files/index.html) and create new ISO with 'make_iso.sh' script
- use this ISO for installation

please read kiosk documentation and everything should be clear:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/modules.html
http://porteus-kiosk.org/kiosk-customization.html

"It's quite complicated to modify and recompress the 003-settings.xzm. I understand this is the powerfull way to do it but I would like to avoid"
unfortunately i'm not going to make it easier. do it once and everything will be easy next time :wink:

nick223
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Slax

Post#10 by nick223 » 02 Feb 2015, 21:30

Hi fanthom.

Thank you very much: It works.
In fact guys, keep playing with it, as fanthom says : do it once and everything will be easy next time ! ( it's so true )

I would like to add more to it to help other newbies.

What I did is :
1) I took two computers: One on Unbuntu and one to install Kiosk.
The Unbuntu help me to modify the ISO.
2) I extract the downloadable KIOSK into unbuntu. ( KIOSK_TMP)
3) I open a termail windows by CRTL+ALT+T
4) I create a folder KIOSK_TMP/opt/website/ and I put my webpage into the folder website.
5) I compress this /opt/website/*.* into 06-website.xzm ( for me 006-website.xzm doesn't work )
6) I create the new iso by using the make_iso.sh
7) I burn the new modified ISO into a USB key
8 ) On the computer I wanted to install the KIOSK ( on the HDD i want to put it ), I boot with the USB key with the modified ISO.
9) In the ini setup windows, check to have the additional_component = 06-website.xzm
10) Click on SAVE !
11) burn on HDD.

I hope it helps

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#11 by fanthom » 02 Feb 2015, 22:51

steps 9) and 10) and not necessary and you should mention that its required to convert produced ISO to a hybrid format with 'isohybrid' utility prior to burning on usb.

other than that :good: