[Solved] porteus kiosk hard drive installation

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.7 kiosk

[Solved] porteus kiosk hard drive installation

Post#1 by rh102801 » 21 Mar 2014, 14:20

Hi everyone
I am a complete Linux noob trying to setup a porteus kiosk. I am able to create the ISO from the wizard and run it live from a USB drive but I want to install it to a hard drive and I am not understanding the instructions on the wiki.

I read this "Once in the 'isohybrid' format, the image can be burned as a live CD or it can be "burned" directly to a flash device or hard drive using the 'dd' command. For example:
dd if=porteus-kiosk-v2.0.1.iso of=/dev/sdb where 'dev/sdb' is the target flash device"

If I have created the hybrid ISO and copied to a usb drive with Win32DiskImager, how do I go about installing this on a hard drive that has nothing in it?
Would I need to run some sort of live Linux distro and copy this to the hard drive that way?

Kind of lost.

Thanks
Last edited by rh102801 on 24 Mar 2014, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: porteus kiosk hard drive installation

Post#2 by fanthom » 21 Mar 2014, 15:09

hi

if Win32DiskImager wont allow you to select hard drive as a destination then you could install Porteus Desktop Edition on your usb flash, boot it up and use 'dd' command (as root) to perform installation on HD.

please open file manager and double check which drive is /dev/sda, which is /dev/sdb, etc so you wont install kiosk on wrong device.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rh102801
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.7 kiosk

Re: [Solved] porteus kiosk hard drive installation

Post#3 by rh102801 » 24 Mar 2014, 14:47

Thank you Fanthom this worked like a charm. It took me a couple of tries mainly because I didn't really know what I was doing .
I made a bootable USB drive with Tiny Core Linux, from and booted the PC to it, I put the Porteus ISO on another USB drive. Launched a terminal windows in tiny core and mounted the PC's hard drive and the USB drive with the ISO and used the command described on the instructions to copy the file on the hard drive making it bootable "dd if=porteus-kiosk-v2.0.1.iso of=/dev/sdb where 'dev/sdb' "
Excellent instructions although for a total noob like me it took some trial and error.

Thanks again