Disable specific keyboard shortcut

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Maggie
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 2.1 Kiosk

Disable specific keyboard shortcut

Post#1 by Maggie » 16 Sep 2013, 15:47

Hi,

I really like Porteus Kiosk, it does exactly what I want it to do... except for one small detail. I wish to disable the ctrl+shift+e keyboard shortcut because in Firefox, it allows to switch and close tabs, which I do not want. I did the following to attempt solving my problem :

Extracted ISO file;
Unsquashed 003-settings.xzm in base directory;
Copied the rc.xml file I found in etc/xdg/openbox to home/guest/.config/openbox (as was suggested in the comment at the beginning of rc.xml file, I had to create .config and .config/openbox since they didn't exist);
In rc.xml, I found these lines of code (lines 200 to 204) which seemed relevant for what I wanted to do :

<!-- Disable following keybindings for firefox -->
<keybind key="Menu F7 F11 A-F4 C-F4 C-n C-o C-w C-S-w C-s C-p C-q A-f A-v A-t A-h S-F2 C-S-k C-S-i C-S-m C-S-s S-F4 S-F5 S-F7 C-u C-S-j C-i C-S-p F6 A-F6 C-F6 S-F6 A-d C-j C-k C-l C-t">
<action name="Execute">
</action>
</keybind>

I added C-S-e at the end of the key string so it looked like this (there's no explanation in the file of how to identify the keys, but from looking at this I figured that Ctrl was C, Shift was S and that the keys were joined together by a dash) :

<keybind key="Menu F7 F11 A-F4 C-F4 C-n C-o C-w C-S-w C-s C-p C-q A-f A-v A-t A-h S-F2 C-S-k C-S-i C-S-m C-S-s S-F4 S-F5 S-F7 C-u C-S-j C-i C-S-p F6 A-F6 C-F6 S-F6 A-d C-j C-k C-l C-t C-S-e">

Then, I squashed 003-settings.xzm back and ran the make_iso.sh-org script to create the iso (make_iso.sh doesn't work for me, but this one does).

I'm certain that I took care of the squashing and iso creation properly, since another modification I made (it was in the prefs.js file for Firefox) worked just fine. But that Ctrl+Shift+e shortcut still works, so I must have done something wrong. I also tried modifying the rc.xml file in etc/xdg/openbox directly (I made it writable first, did the change and made it read-only again), but that didn't work either.

Can anyone help me please?

Maggie
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 2.1 Kiosk

Re: Disable specific keyboard shortcut

Post#2 by Maggie » 16 Sep 2013, 19:18

OK, I managed to make it work on my own. I tried editing both rc.xml files and it worked. Now I have my perfect kiosk! :Yahoo!:

If anyone else ever wants to achieve the same thing as me (disable keyboard shortcuts or keys that aren't already disabled), just do as I explained in my last post. Openbox's wiki helped me understand more on how this works : http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Bindings#Key_bindings

If that helps anyone, then I'm happy.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Disable specific keyboard shortcut

Post#3 by francois » 17 Sep 2013, 10:53

Bonjour Maggie. Good for you. I am sure that you are really going to adopt porteus definitively. 8)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.