Wireguard

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Ciber
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Wireguard

Post#1 by Ciber » 28 Sep 2023, 08:19

I'd like to use Wireguard for my network of kiosks.
I was optimistic enough to just download the slackware package, convert it into a xzm module and burn it to the ISO. Needless to say it wouldn't boot at all.
Then I tried to copy the module manually to check whether it was a matter of dependencies but I can't tell what's going wrong.
Some builtin orders are missing (such as shopt), but even if I comment the lines where they appear for the sake of testing, it throws other syntax errors.
So it seems it could be all about compatibility, or is it?
Should I find for another package for this distro? But which? Is there anything I missed?
Additionally, Wireguard needs a different conf file for each kiosk inside /etc/wireguard. Is there any way to make it persistent?

Thank you so very much!

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Wireguard

Post#2 by Blaze » 13 Oct 2023, 04:28

Hi.
Porteus Kiosk base on Gentoo.
Why do you use Slackware package?
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ciber
White ninja
White ninja

Wireguard

Post#3 by Ciber » 16 Oct 2023, 07:15

Thanks for replying!
I heard you could simply use Slackware packages when it came to simple modifications, but looks like I've been wrong all along about the distribution.
Could you please tell me how to install a Gentoo package on Porteus Kiosk then?
Thanks!

Ciber
White ninja
White ninja

Wireguard

Post#4 by Ciber » 20 Oct 2023, 10:56

Sorry for double-posting.

I've managed to install a Gentoo distro (with openRC and a kernel higher than 5.6) on a VM, emerge wireguard-tools (and openresolv) and export them as xzm modules.
This time I could install the Porteus Kiosk ISO on my device without a hitch, but Wireguard won't start and as soon as I try running wg-quick, I keep getting the same error message as before, the one about the missing builtin:

Code: Select all

shopt: not found
It's no surprise at all, because it's basically the same script and I didn't change the kernel either after all. Which leads me to think, should I change the kernel? But how and which?
I wonder if it has anything to do with systemd. There's another wg-quick without the shopt line (a openrc-run script) inside /etc/init.d I can't get to work. This is the one that should be running at startup, right?

On the other hand, I tried to enable the network interface by using wireguard-go, but it seems it doesn't support tunnels?

Code: Select all

Failed to create TUN device: /dev/net/tun does not exist
I'm a bit in the dark here. Could anybody please let me know what I should try next?
Thank you.