I tried everything possible - bookmarks not working

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Reformedxfuture
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Linux

I tried everything possible - bookmarks not working

Post#1 by Reformedxfuture » 25 Jun 2023, 17:25

Hi everyone,

i'm new here and i would like to thank you in advance for your help. i searched everywhere before posting here, i've been stuck couple days on it and still nothing.

Here's the context : i'm on Linux Ubuntu with the latest Porteus-Kiosk.5-5 and firefox 102.9.0esr. i'm trying to get an addon called tampermonkey on firefox and hide it -> i have no problem doing that and its working.

My issue is that no matter what i do, enabling or adding in the config file the "managed_bookmarks" i don't see any of them.

Here's what i did :
as root i do that :

mkdir /tmp/isoprod
mount /home/$USER/Porteus-Kiosk-5.5.0-x86_64.iso /media/ -o loop
cp -a /media/* /tmp/isoprod
umount /media/

then

cd ~/isoprod/xzm
unsquashfs 003-settings.xzm

install the addon on the firefox's host , then chmod 777 on the extensions folder and chown $user:$user on the same folder [ of the /tmp/isoprod/..../c3.../extensions ] and copy the .xpi file
launch the porteus firefox profile : ( not in root cuz its not possible ) i do, firefox --profile /tmp/isoprod/..../c3...
firefox is opening and i can see that the extension is there and do everything i want.
Edit the chrome user file to hide the icon : add this inside it #firefox_tampermonkey_net-browser-action { display: none !important; }
then
cd ~/isoprod/xzm
mksquashfs squashfs-root/ 003-settings.xzm -comp xz -b 256K -Xbcj x86 -noappend

cd ~/iso
wget http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/files/mkisofs

mv mkisofs /usr/local/bin/
chmod 777 /usr/local/bin/mkisofs
./make_iso.sh

i test my iso in a virutal machine and i can see that the extension and scripts are working but no bookmarks ( even though config file has them - i even tried just using the config wizard enabling it with your website )

i hope i'll find how to fix this issue.

Also when i just try to unsquash the 003-settings and mksquash right after without doing anything---> bookmarks are working
then tried to unsquash the 003-settings , launch the porteus profile : firefox --profile /tmp/isoprod/..../c3... and mksquash right after without doing anything else --> bookmarks are not working

i'm close to find what is the issue but i'm desperate at this point , feel like when you launch the porteus firefox profile some files are created and then idk what to edit /delete or whatever to not interfere with porteus kiosk bookmarks

thank you again.

Edit : i used meld this time to compare the folder right after unsqashing and the folder right after doing "firefox --profile /iso/.../..../c3."
soprod/..../c3.

that's weird

SOLVED my issue : i edited the userChrome.css that is inside the chrome folder ( full commented it) then just had to open the firefox kiosk profile remove all the bookmarks.
Then deleted places.sqlite and others sync.sqlite , edited the prefs.js ( removed the line with bookmark....unfilled) and its working now. ( dont forget to uncomment the userchrome.css before mksquashing )