Get help with XFCE specific problems
MaxP
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: JbC

Modify my XFCE

Post#1 by MaxP » 05 Aug 2019, 10:41

Hi!

I'm new to porteus and i want to modify my XFCE version of porteus (32 bit) mycfavisit
It's though for non commerical uses .

Is there a way to change the XFCE Startup sound in the files without installing porteus to a usb? And is there a way to change the wallpaper in the files?

Thanks.
Last edited by MaxP on 06 Aug 2019, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Modify my XFCE

Post#2 by Ed_P » 05 Aug 2019, 14:25

How are you booting Porteus? I boot my system as a ISO using grub2 commands and Porteus cheatcodes, two of which you may like; changes= and extramod=. Checkout the available codes in the ISO's or CD's /boot/docs/ folder.
Ed

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Modify my XFCE

Post#3 by fulalas » 05 Aug 2019, 21:43

@MaxP, you can do it using rootcopy folder -- it basically works like this: you copy everything you want using Linux folder structure (examples: etc/X11/file or usr/bin/file) and during the boot Porteus gets these files and copy them to the actual Linux system folders.

So the thing is finding out which files we need to change in order to keep your settings restored every boot. The wallpaper one is easy: just select the wallpaper you want through Xfce GUI, and then copy /home/Guest/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml to your rootcopy folder (usbStick/porteus/rootcopy), keeping all the folder structure. Regarding the startup sound, I'm not sure. I would select the one I want and check for the timestamp of the files inside /home/Guest/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml . The most recent is probably the one you should copy to rootcopy folder -- to make sure, edit it with Mousepad and check if there's any mention to the sound file you chose.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Modify my XFCE

Post#4 by Ed_P » 06 Aug 2019, 19:09

Another option is to make a module of your changes and load them when you boot.

So MaxP the answer is Yes you can customize your Porteus system without installing it to a USB drive. But you do need space somewhere to save your changes. :)
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Modify my XFCE

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 06 Aug 2019, 23:45

you can also remaster the ISO with the changes(whether they be: using rootcopy or a module(placed in porteus/modules) or even extract, modify and recompress porteus/base/003-xfce.xzm)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44