Get help with MATE specific problems
ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: LXDE3.5Manjaro, LXDE3.01-32bit

Mount not possible

Post#1 by ElectriQT » 10 Nov 2013, 17:44

Hello all,
My first Post here and also my first tests weeks of Porteus, my first Linux distro that actually works ! Great :)

I did short test KDE, RazorQT, and now running MATE , I think this looks really good!
But some things still Puzzle me

I did run the http://build.porteus.org/ and configure it with a root passwd, EU timezone+1, Swedens keyboard layout, a swap file enabled, no AutoMount Enabled,

Q.
In RazorQR I can save to disks, also it show my hidden partition at XP hdd.
But in MATE I can not mount, is this normal?

The keyboard iso-configuration did not work in any tested desktops , is this a normal and known problem for the iso-wisard?
The timezone might work here in MATE, 1 hour offset only.

In MATE I like the Layout, menus, the speed, The look, The power consumption and battery discharge nerd-info are Excellent! (But a bit slow on the updates and graphs) I do miss OpenOffice.. I like this "computer" desktop icon that opens Caja the file explorer with (almost) all drives shown in a logic way in the window to the right. Small risk of confusion now when I have more than 6 drives, ...but I can for unknown reason not Mount anything, not even with the "right click "administrator"" or from terminal as su caja = errors(see below) or just a click on them that would be the natural thing to do, click to mount, get a popup for root passwd.

I did not find any way to mount, not even from firefox(flashgot) download to.. drive x, no passwd needed in Razor, (but that might be a security-bug in Razor?)

I dont know what I am doing, as you might guess.. :oops: Just guessing and try to learn Linux now.
guest@porteus:~$ su
Password:
root@porteus:/home/guest# caja

(caja:26573): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

** (caja:26573): WARNING **: The connection is closed

** (caja:26573): WARNING **: Unable to open a connection to the session bus: The connection is closed

(caja:26573): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_call_sync_internal: assertion `G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed
Segmentation fault
root@porteus:/home/guest# ^C

I did try KDE for some minutes only, did not like the slow speed and confusing menus and so on.

Then I did try RazorQT and this actually seems best so far. Have been using it many days now, primary for a lot of webworks. Razor did work best on all my computers, nice speed, small, Logic(most of the time) maybe not so mature, but no real bugs as far as I can see. Never crash. I like it a lot, Thank you all in the Porteus-team :good:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Mount not possible

Post#2 by brokenman » 16 Nov 2013, 21:42

Thanks for your feedback. In mate you can open a superuser caja in the system/administration menu. If you want to open it from a terminal you will need to use: gksu caja

I havn't had any trouble mounting drives. If you open a terminal you can run: mount-manager
This is a handy little utility for mounting various files and drives.

You can also mount your drive like so:
mkdir /mnt/mydrive
mount /dev/sdxY /mnt/mydrive
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by ElectriQT » 17 Nov 2013, 23:43

brokenman wrote:Thanks for your feedback. In mate you can open a superuser caja in the system/administration menu. If you want to open it from a terminal you will need to use: gksu caja
Some strange behavior still,
I believe it was: I cant see my drives even as "superuser caja", ..not before I have done the mount-manager below.

But now it work.
But cant be un-done before next reboot?
( problem: NOW all users can mount, even my hidden partitions.. when they just open caja as guest. Hmm. )

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ gksu caja

(caja:7091): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

guest@porteus:~$ 
I havn't had any trouble mounting drives. If you open a terminal you can run: mount-manager
This is a handy little utility for mounting various files and drives.
-Hm, this did work! ..sort of. But not as I expected, and some errors again that I dont understand :)

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ mount-manager
/opt/porteus-scripts/mount-manager: line 56: /sys/block/zram/removable: No such file or directory
/opt/porteus-scripts/mount-manager: line 57: [: -eq: unary operator expected
Mounting a drive

(caja:3290): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

** (caja:3290): WARNING **: Unable to open a connection to the session bus: The connection is closed

** (caja:3290): WARNING **: The connection is closed

(caja:3290): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_call_sync_internal: assertion `G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed
/opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/fmanager: line 32:  3290 Segmentation fault      `where pcmanfm|| where dolphin|| where spacefm|| where caja || where thunar` $*
You can also mount your drive like so:
mkdir /mnt/mydrive
mount /dev/sdxY /mnt/mydrive
I Have not tried this yet.

Thanx for the tip / help

- BTW, did you know whats wrong with the ISO- configurator/wizard , so that we never get the correct keyboard?
So every time we boot we must remove one layout first,, and then add our other..

Hmm..Maybe this IS the problem ?
if it only accepts your 4 (default) languages, and then we try to configure "se" keyboard in thew wizard, and it adds up to the impossible 5 ?

..or not.. :unknown:

Thanx

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#4 by ElectriQT » 18 Nov 2013, 11:26

Re: Languages..
- Hmm, I had to remove ALL the other layouts from the switcher-list to be able to get a Swedish keyboard with åäöÅÄÖ at every startup.

I thought it should be the one :) at the top of the list that will be loaded next boot (from changes stored in my savefile), like this:

se
en
es
fr
So after Reboots se would be default ? :no: It choses "en" in next boots.

Screenshot of a new mount problem:
http://imagebin.org/277704
(imagebin is a temporary place as I could not find how to upload here, they remove them after (up to) 15 days, ..or before)
Devices dont lists at all to the left, and "unable to mount location, can not mount file" when I click on the drives in the window to the right.

I thought I have removed the "no mount" option in the new ISO, due to the problems in MATE, but still it seems to be some kind of errors here?
..Or am I just doing the file manager in a "wrong" way here..... ?

It is possible to mount now,
( /mnt ) but there is no passwd. So every guest can very easy or by mistake meagaf-kupp the other drives.
so it looks like this:
http://imagebin.org/277708
and it let me right right in there now.., ( BUT one hidden XP recovery-partition now missing in the list, sometimes)
And look at the "devices" to the left, not correct. So it is not easy to unmount a non listed device if you dont see it or know it is mounted.

Am I doing it wrong? :roll:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 18 Nov 2013, 22:28

I will address the mounting problem in this thread. Please start another thread for the language issue.

I am a little lost where your up to. On my machine the default behaviour is that all drives are mounted when Porteus boots unless using a cheatcode to prevent this. The drives are mounted but guest only has read access to them. Only root can mount the internal drives.

I am also seeing this 'computer:///' error for root. I'll look into this for our next release. It works OK for guest.

I will need to wait until tonight to test if I can reproduce what you are saying. I have hidden partitions also. In the meantime can you please post the output from a root terminal of: blkid

EDIT: Ok I can confirm your problems. As guest clicking on computer brings up the main drive but I get the error that I am unable to mount it. It is however already mounted and you can navigate to it under the 'filesystem' tree as guest. As super user the 'computer:///' error appears when I click on the little green computer icon, however it is still reachable under the filesystem tree also. When I recompile caja I will check this out. Thanks for the report.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 20 Nov 2013, 17:49

There is an error about not being able to mount a blank CD which could be an upstream bug or a mimetype issue. Still looking into it. Ignoring it continues the burn ok.