[SOLVED] Weather plasmoids

Get help with KDE specific problems
router
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3 and pclinuxOS

[SOLVED] Weather plasmoids

Post#1 by router » 16 Aug 2014, 04:26

so, i'm trying to install weather plasmoids from the 'get more widgets' thing. they all fail, with a message 'could not create a Python ScriptEngine'.

what do i need to install to fix it?
Last edited by router on 17 Aug 2014, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Weather plasmoids

Post#2 by fanthom » 16 Aug 2014, 08:42

python is not included (we would need PyKDE4 as well and some other deps) so you can use only binary plasmoids.
default weather plasmoid included in KDE4 is good enough i think?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

router
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by router » 16 Aug 2014, 21:05

well that was an adventure :lol:

there's no weather plasmoid in the kde that comes in the porteus download, and the only one i saw listed in the packages was wmweather for windowmaker, but i expanded my search and just looked for plasma/plasmoids etc and found kde-plasma-addons

so i installed it, and its truckload of dependencies, it pulled in nepomuk and akonadi and i dont remember what else all, all the pim stuff.

and my kde menus disappeared completely, everything except the bottom section favorites>, run command, and leave>

so i thought hm, i'll go disable nepomuk like i did kscreen, just a stab in the dark

no joy there, so since i had made a subfolder with the packages, i went then and uninstalled them, and porteus broke, it wouldn't boot to GUI at all anymore.

so i thought, maybe something i have set my way is breaking this. so, i deleted my changes folder, and installed on a fresh virgin porteus, the usual things i install to start, without really making any configuration changes except whatever the packages themselves install. gstreamer and its plugins, wine and wine gecko and mono, and booted with that once, to see that it did it, and it did. installed the plasma addons folder of packages, and it broke porteus again exactly the same way. killed the menu, and uninstalling the folder broke porteus the rest of the way.

i haven't gone over it with a real deep attention but i'm sure at least part of what is going on, in the uninstalling, is that one or more of those packages are different versions of something thats in core porteus already, and thats why uninstalling breaks things. and maybe have some to do with the menu getting killed too, in the installing.

there are two weather plasmoids in it, and they work, if i can figure out how to get at them without blowing up the world :D

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Post#4 by Slaxmax » 17 Aug 2014, 00:22

@router

What is your architecture i486 or x86_64? What is the city you prefer to show the weather?
I have a plasmoid and can set up for you.

see
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead

router
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by router » 17 Aug 2014, 03:12

i486, and my city is Houston, Texas, USA

the actual station i want to use, i dont know its code, but it's Houston Hobby Airport

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Post#6 by Slaxmax » 17 Aug 2014, 04:32

cwp Customizable Weather Plasmoid
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ockjy ... 1.i586.xzm

Copy the module to module folder and reboot kde.
In add widget field search type cwp and put in your desktop screen, after right click access configuration.
Import settings from this file http://www.mediafire.com/view/w5u0dthsk ... config.cwp (houston texas config file)
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead

router
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by router » 17 Aug 2014, 12:24

thank you :)

i'll try it out, after i rescue my system, again lol ...

i wanted some more themes and artwork, so i downloaded the kde artwork packages, and i don't know yet which one was the culprit but one of them killed my menus the same way the plasma addons did

and i'm not that smart to be able to tell by looking at things in my changes folder, what i might be able to revert to get them back, i tried a few things but no luck

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#8 by fanthom » 17 Aug 2014, 15:34

sorry - weather plasmoid must disappear from last release.
will add it back to the next one.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#9 by Bogomips » 20 Aug 2014, 23:59

router wrote:don't know yet which one was the culprit but one of them killed my menus the same way the plasma addons did
Bet bottom dollar it's 'kdelibs'. Need 'kdelibs', so saved all necessary apps in 'favorites' beforehand, then did rootcopy for this file, so it's always there. 8)

If embarking on adventures, doesn't hurt to be prepared! :unknown:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB