KDE installtion gives this error.[SOLVED]

Get help with KDE specific problems
softappweber
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 0

Post#1 by softappweber » 21 Jan 2023, 14:12

Error: No Configuration File Found | No default or UI Configuration Directive Found!
Boot:

I am using YUMI Multiboot loader (My favorite) to use different distros with USb. But I only use Porteus Cinnamon as my main OS. I was eager to use KDE and Kiosk version of Porteus, but when I load their iso files on USB using YUMI and then try to run as I run Porteus Cinnamon, it does not start and both of them give me this error.

Can anyone tell me origin of this error? I want to explore all the flavors of Porteus. I do not understand and know why they call it 'desktop environments' :-). Please help, your help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by softappweber on 04 Feb 2023, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

KDE installtion gives this error.

Post#2 by Ed_P » 21 Jan 2023, 16:58

Hard to debug without seeing the boot menu. Since YUMI is creating the menu you should ask them why it doesn't work with the Porteus ISOs.
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#3 by beny » 21 Jan 2023, 18:23

hi, if you have the last porteus 5,you can only if you wish add the desktop environment to the porteus base but without the changes option, you have a different way to manage kde or xfce or cinnamon so with changes you have only a lot of issue,i think but isn't confirmed you can't run two version of the same system located into one root.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 21 Jan 2023, 23:17

Actually it's possible to test different DEs by just downloading the DE's 003 file and putting it in the base system's /modules folder and adding the noload= cheatcode to the vmlinuz boot parms for the base DE, for example noload=cinnamon, and don't save changes when exiting. Actually that means boot with the changes=EXIT cheatcode also so changes are only saved when you exit.

If you test a lot of DEs having boot parms similar to this makes setting up the menu easier.

Code: Select all

noload=kde;jinn;lxqt;xfce;lxde;mate;open;changes  changes=EXIT:$linux_folder/changes/50save.dat
Ed

softappweber
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by softappweber » 22 Jan 2023, 23:50

Ed_P wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 23:17
Actually it's possible to test different DEs by just downloading the DE's 003 file and putting it in the base system's /modules folder and adding the noload= cheatcode to the vmlinuz boot parms for the base DE, for example noload=cinnamon, and don't save changes when exiting. Actually that means boot with the changes=EXIT cheatcode also so changes are only saved when you exit.

If you test a lot of DEs having boot parms similar to this makes setting up the menu easier.

noload=kde;jinn;lxqt;xfce;lxde;mate;open;changes  changes=EXIT:$linux_folder/changes/50save.dat
I think this is the solution for my problem. What I understood from replies is that I need to load few files from these two DEs into root folder of my Porteus Cinnamon and apply cheatcodes and then try to run it from RAM. This method can mess up with my Porteus Cinnamon and that's why I do not want to apply it.

Thanks everyone for replies. Again I needed step by step guide to do it, since I am naive I can NOT do it just by reading instructions.

By the way, would anyone please tell me ; How do these desktop environments differ from each other? What features, functions they have which are different from each other? Why do these different DEs exist? what's the purpose?
If I can know it, I would never trouble to try any other DE other than Cinnamon if it is not useful for me. :-)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 23 Jan 2023, 02:05

softappweber wrote:
22 Jan 2023, 23:50
I would never trouble to try any other DE other than Cinnamon if it is not useful for me.
Well, now you know how to try them, one by one and see which ones are useful for you and which ones aren't. Do you like one with the taskbar on the top or on the bottom? Do you like one with a lot of icons or one with no icons? :)

"trouble"ing to find out is how you learn to not be "naive". :happy62: And downloading a DE module and adding a boot menu doesn't take much time. :) Here's my KDE one on my Cinnamon system.

set iso="/ISOs/Porteus-CINNAMON-v5.0-x86_64-221210.iso"

menuentry " Porteus 5.0 ISO - KDE - AF+"  --class slackware   --class icon-porteus  {

set bootparms="volume=33 reboot=cold extramod=$linux_folder/Modules noload=cinn;jinn;lxqt;xfce;lxde;mate;open;mychanges"  #kde5; 

search -f $iso --set=root
     loopback loop $iso
     linux (loop)/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=$iso $bootparms
     initrd (loop)/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
     }
Ed

softappweber
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by softappweber » 04 Feb 2023, 13:18

Ed_P wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 02:05
softappweber wrote:
22 Jan 2023, 23:50
I would never trouble to try any other DE other than Cinnamon if it is not useful for me.
Well, now you know how to try them, one by one and see which ones are useful for you and which ones aren't. Do you like one with the taskbar on the top or on the bottom? Do you like one with a lot of icons or one with no icons? :)

"trouble"ing to find out is how you learn to not be "naive". :happy62: And downloading a DE module and adding a boot menu doesn't take much time. :) Here's my KDE one on my Cinnamon system.

set iso="/ISOs/Porteus-CINNAMON-v5.0-x86_64-221210.iso"

menuentry " Porteus 5.0 ISO - KDE - AF+"  --class slackware   --class icon-porteus  {

set bootparms="volume=33 reboot=cold extramod=$linux_folder/Modules noload=cinn;jinn;lxqt;xfce;lxde;mate;open;mychanges"  #kde5; 

search -f $iso --set=root
     loopback loop $iso
     linux (loop)/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=$iso $bootparms
     initrd (loop)/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
     }

Hi,
As confirmed by me yes all the steps suggested by you are acually the solution to this problem. But since it was difficult for me, I tried to install KIOSK version using a new blank USB and by using same YUMI and same ISO file. I could then boot succesfully and start the OS. I used the OS, it a browser based OS and it is very secure OS.
For the tasks I do, Cinnamon version of Porteus is perfect, thanks to everyone and specially Ed_P.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#8 by beny » 04 Feb 2023, 16:29

if you want you can switch desktop environment if boot at init 3 and type xwmconfig in terminal,after login,ok kiosk isn't based on slackware just for the record.

softappweber
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by softappweber » 05 Feb 2023, 03:59

beny wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 16:29
if you want you can switch desktop environment if boot at init 3 and type xwmconfig in terminal,after login,ok kiosk isn't based on slackware just for the record.
Funnily I was not expecting anything to appear after I type 'xwmconfig' in terminal of Cinnamon, but following screen appeared. What is this?

Please click on the url to see the screenshot.

https://postimg.cc/BjCNPh27

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#10 by beny » 05 Feb 2023, 10:46

hi, just for fun, put on the base directory another desktop manageer like mate or xfce4 or plasma don't remove the cinnamon one and when you start at init 3 type xwmconfig you can choose the desktop from the index and start it with startx,this is only if you do not have changes activated.