Boot on Usb and slide to the hard drive ...

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Rapha_
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Xfce 4.12 - 5.rc3 - x86_64

Post#1 by Rapha_ » 16 Jul 2021, 16:41

Very quickly after having tested ISOs on Usb Key, I noticed that files were written on the hard disk, whereas I had not installed Porteus on this one (but only copied the 2 folders "boot" and "porteus" on an Ext4 partition, because I did not want to install it and thus to overwrite the mbr to be able to still boot on Windows which I had just installed)

( I'm not on recent machines, so I don't know if the problem exists on those with Uefi )

So if I boot Porteus on an USB key (Iso or Installed), once the menu is displayed, the boot will look for the porteus folder with the same version on the hard disk partition (ntfs or ext4) and boot on it !
if I boot on the usb key with a desktop that is different from the one installed on the hard disk, but with the same version of Porteus (4 or 5*) it will boot on the desktop of the hard disk

- The problem is easily solved if the Porteus is installed on the USB key; you just have to edit the boot menu (porteus.cfg in the "syslinux" folder of the key) by adding on each line "APPEND" :

Code: Select all

from=/dev/sdb1/
It works perfectly !

- For ISOs deposited on USB keys installed with Ventoy, the "APPEND" lines of "porteus.cfg" must be modified before for each Iso as follows:

APPEND from=/dev/sdb1/Porteus-XFCE-v5.0rc3-x86_64.iso

- For ISOs in Hard disk startup with Grub2Win , I can improve things only for Porteus V.5 ( not with V.4 ... I don't know why !) with adding "from=/mnt/sda8/Porteus5/Porteus-LXDE-v5.0rc2-x86_64.iso" :
( The configs files I edit are in "grub2/windata/customconfigs/ )

clear
set isopath='/Porteus5/Porteus-LXDE-v5.0rc2-x86_64.iso'
     set kernelpath='/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz'                 
     set initrdpath='/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz'               
     set bootparms='boot=/Porteus5/ iso-scan/filename='$isopath'  from=/mnt/sda8/Porteus5/Porteus-LXDE-v5.0rc2-x86_64.iso noprompt noeject ---'          
#
     g2wisoboot                                          # Run the g2wisoboot function

it won't make the difference between .0rc1, 2 or 3 either

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 16 Jul 2021, 17:49

Rapha_ wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 16:41
So if I boot Porteus on an USB key (Iso or Installed), once the menu is displayed, the boot will look for the porteus folder with the same version on the hard disk partition (ntfs or ext4) and boot on it !
if I boot on the usb key with a desktop that is different from the one installed on the hard disk, but with the same version of Porteus (4 or 5*) it will boot on the desktop of the hard disk
Yup. Been there, seen that. Grub searches for files in sequence and sda folders come before sdb ones. Renaming the Porteus folder works. So does using a UUID. from=UUID:STrING-0F-ChARACtERS/path/folder
Ed

Rapha_
Shogun
Shogun

Post#3 by Rapha_ » 16 Jul 2021, 18:58

it is not normal that Porteus boot from USB (folder "boot") and continue to boot on a hard disk (folder "porteus").... Don't you think ?

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#4 by donald » 16 Jul 2021, 20:07

Rapha_ wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 16:41
The problem is easily solved if the Porteus is installed on the USB key; you just have to edit the boot menu (porteus.cfg in the "syslinux" folder of the key) by adding on each line "APPEND" :

from=/dev/sdb1/
It works perfectly !
Well, it may or may not.
Your usb-key could also become sdc,sdd.. it depends on how many devices, and in which order,
are actually connected. -- better use UUIDs -- also for the path to the changes folder.

Rapha_
Shogun
Shogun

Post#5 by Rapha_ » 17 Jul 2021, 17:18

Well, it may or may not.
Your usb-key could also become sdc,sdd.. it depends on how many devices, and in which order,
are actually connected
yes I understand...
-- better use UUIDs -- also for the path to the changes folder.
yes I have tried this yesterday, it works also ....But now I don't use changes folder (or Porteus_save.dat) on Usb...I have been using for 2 months "Save session" with .xzm file (All Firefox configs are saved on a module, that I can use on other versions of Porteus )

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 17 Jul 2021, 19:09

Rapha_ wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 17:18
I have been using for 2 months "Save session" with .xzm file
Where do you save the .xzm module? In the /modules folder?
Ed

Rapha_
Shogun
Shogun

Post#7 by Rapha_ » 19 Jul 2021, 16:20

Where do you save the .xzm module? In the /modules folder?
in "modules" folder, most of time

Rapha_
Shogun
Shogun

Post#8 by Rapha_ » 19 Jul 2021, 16:25

In "cheatcodes.txt"
from=/dev/device
from=/path/folder
from=/path/porteus.iso
... /...
If the destination partition is not provided with this
cheatcode, the booting script will search through all available
devices for your data.
So it was programmed like this....But why it doesn't stay to boot the first device in priority , to search the data ?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 19 Jul 2021, 19:49

"it" could but "it" has no way of knowing the user would use the same folder/file name on two devices. "it" could just quit with an error "file not found". Easiest solutions are don't use the cheatcode or rename the folders.

BTW I've experienced this problem so I understand. And for modules it's kind of useful.
Ed