Browser Selection and Update Tool error

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#1 by Ed_P » 28 Jun 2021, 21:01

Some modules are not able to be Moved or Copied. For details see Installing on USB (Post by Rapha_ #82889) and Installing on USB (Post by Ed_P #82892).

I think all the modules' closing step should say Copy rather than Move and the modules' permissions tweaked to permit that.
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 28 Jun 2021, 23:32

Ed_P wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 21:01
I think all the modules' closing step should say Copy rather than Move and the modules' permissions tweaked to permit that.
sure.. we can have copy instead of move.. even though is not a problem to move them as root, which you would have to do for copy, if your target dir is POSIX.
the chromium thing is strange, since there is already this line in update-chromium-live:

Code: Select all

chmod 644 $WRKDIR/chromium-ungoogled-$LVER-$ARCH-${CHOICE}-1alien.xzm
put there to fix that specific problem( the reason it occurs is a mystery to me)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Ed_P » 29 Jun 2021, 04:01

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 23:32
sure.. we can have copy instead of move.. even though is not a problem to move them as root, which you would have to do for copy, if your target dir is POSIX.
Just trying to make it easier for new users. I'm not sure what percentage of new users use POSIX drives or know about root and what to do when right clicking doesn't show Move as an option.
ncmprhnsbl wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 23:32
the chromium thing is strange, since there is already this line in update-chromium-live
Need a value other than 644? $WRKDIR not pointing to the right directory? Other variables have wrong values? Maybe an * would be better?

Code: Select all

chmod 644 $WRKDIR/chromium-ungoogled-*.xzm
Need for chrome also.
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#4 by ncmprhnsbl » 29 Jun 2021, 07:28

Ed_P wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 04:01
Need a value other than 644? $WRKDIR not pointing to the right directory? Other variables have wrong values? Maybe an * would be better?
no, no, no and no. :)
i'd half fixed the problem: ie. for built modules and hadn't considered the server download one..
the restrictive file permissions(-rw-----) was caused by the funky behavior of the makeself archive those two scripts use.
solution: fix permissions for the server download once completed.
all scripts are now updated on the server, and say: "copy" and as a bonus, another bug with chromium-ungoogled script was fixed :)
mirrors will update later.
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Ed_P » 29 Jun 2021, 12:11

:Yahoo!:
Ed