plop boot manager does not work!

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#1 by wread » 13 Jun 2021, 22:32

Hi, everybody!

My plop boot manager does not work...
It is not so important, so nobody cares....but my bios does not have the posibility to select the mccard as start drive and the plop boot manager could be the solution!
I guess it is just not to date. Is there a mainterner for the plop?
it would be good to have all usb ports free and run porteus from a mccard, wouldn't it be?

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 14 Jun 2021, 00:05

wread wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 22:32
I guess it is just not to date. Is there a mainterner for the plop?
https://www.plop.at/
looks like there's recent activity...
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Post#3 by Bicephale » 04 Aug 2021, 13:43

Sorry for chiming in this late but i tried to boot from PlOP 5 on my CherryTrail with some eMMC device as its main 32 GB storage unit + an optional 128 GB max. uSD flash drive requiring an i2c driver for starters i think... PlOP 6 ain't ready just yet and i wish the work on KExec-Loader had went further but no joy there neither. It may seem trivial at the moment but people with legacy Win7 hardware have got stuff collecting dust recently and the announcement of Win11 is no help. IMO Porteus should try to compensate by offering to boot a mini version of itself 1st, with all the new hardware drivers to access i2C/SPi whatever devices, including USB i presume... Then load itself gain but from a much more capable support once the storage unit is made accessible. Sometimes there are bootable .ISOs transfered to USB that boot via the tablet's single USB-C port and not the ones on my detacheable keyboard. Which is one of those time when i'd rather not want to know why anyway: the body protests from long hours repeating what others also did log before!

But i'd say at least it has potential. Keep hoping, revisit...

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Post#4 by Bicephale » 07 Aug 2021, 10:36

P.S.: PlOP-5 did load correctly when trying Porteus XFCE v5 rc2 x86_64, installed on a plain USB thumbnail by 'YUMi MultiBoot USB' (from the PenDrive Linux project). Test i3/64-bits PC has hybrid 2016 AMi BIOS offering non-UEFi boot but only from the front USB2 port... CherryTrail transformer tablet has no "legacy" boot option at all, just UEFi which worked fine, but somehow i think i accidentally managed to mix 2 independant boot menus, one for YUMi and another for rEFind. It's been a long day! Go figure what's got further fixed/broken next.