Unlocking screen when locked not working in 5.0 rc2

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
dutchkind
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Opensuse Tumbleweed

Post#1 by dutchkind » 13 Oct 2020, 17:04

I have a timeout set to lock the screen after a certain time but unlocking fails even though the password is correct. Have to kill x to start the session again, then it works with my password (btw I set a custom user password) In rc1 it worked, what I see different is that pam now seems included, is that maybe the cause? I tried some options but couldn't get it to work

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 13 Oct 2020, 22:28

KDE right? what's the permissions on your /etc/shadow file? seems kde's screenlocker needs it to be rw--r--r (which is a security concern... not sure if this is something we've done or a KDE bug)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

dutchkind
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by dutchkind » 14 Oct 2020, 07:33

Yes, KDE, forgot to add that info.

And yes, that fixes it, which is a security risk, I agree, but what I don't understand is that my KDE in Opensuse has the same permissions as the original one in Porteus, even the group owner is the same, and there it works with rw--r----

dutchkind
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by dutchkind » 14 Oct 2020, 12:57

Not satisfied with a user readable shadows file, I kept searching for a better solution. I found one but don't know about security implications.
I changed the permissions of /usr/lib64/libexec/kcheckpass to 4755 and that solved it.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 15 Oct 2020, 03:06

dutchkind wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 12:57
Not satisfied with a user readable shadows file, I kept searching for a better solution. I found one but don't know about security implications.
I changed the permissions of /usr/lib64/libexec/kcheckpass to 4755 and that solved it.
was thinking along those lines ... looks like (lots of) file permissions got messed up somewhere in the process of tweaking the original build... and indeed, that file should have been rwsr-x--x ..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44