Porteus 5.0 Not Booting

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Axi
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Lubuntu

Porteus 5.0 Not Booting

Post#1 by Axi » 18 Jul 2020, 22:03

I’m not exactly experienced with Linux, but after having installed the “Cinnamon” flavor of Porteus, it refuses to boot. When I start Porteus, it takes me to a boot screen with 7 options, graphics mode automatically starting. However, instead of booting, the auto boot timer will count to 0, refreshes, then starts from 9 again. When using any other option, the screen refreshes and nothing happens.

I’m sure the solution is simple and I’m an idiot, but I just want to use Porteus.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Porteus 5.0 Not Booting

Post#2 by roadie » 19 Jul 2020, 16:45

You'll need to post more information, how you installed Porteus, what filesystem you're using. Also the contents of /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg.

It sounds like the kernel or initrd.xz is not being found on booting, which causes it to loop back to the boot screen. You can check the boot config by pressing the "tab" button to make sure it's pointing to the location of the kernel and initrd.xz