LXDE: PCManFM freezes all the time

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

LXDE: PCManFM freezes all the time

Post#1 by rych » 20 Jan 2019, 11:11

It's now gotten worse: impossible to use PCManFM as it constantly hangs and I have to restart it by clicking its pinned taskbar icon. Occasionally even Leafpad and terminal application crash.

I'm trying Openbox and it works okay, so whatever LXDE puts on top breaks it. Maybe LXSession, PCManFM or libfm etc.

Maybe someone have various LXDE modules I could try please, newer or older versions?

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Re: LXDE: PCManFM freezes all the time

Post#2 by fulalas » 20 Jan 2019, 20:24

Hmmm... That's odd. I've never seem LXDE crashing, but I have to admit that I haven't been using it that much. The build used was this one: http://ponce.cc/slackware/slackware64-current/lxde/

After the crash do you see anything in the terminal (ctrl + alt + f1)?

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#3 by rych » 20 Jan 2019, 23:55

@fulalas, Any upgrades since then, do you know? Or should I maybe downgrade to an older version?
No additional reports on the terminal (ctrl + alt + f1). A wild guess is LXDE might not like my disks: the host disk is NVMe SSD and I use two USB sticks.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#4 by fulalas » 22 Jan 2019, 00:01

AFAIK, LXDE isn't updated anymore. So it's unlikely that we'll see any bug fix :(

You can try to open PCManFM from a terminal, so when it crashes you may see something. :unknown:

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#5 by rych » 22 Jan 2019, 06:42

PCManFM (and libfm) still appear to be updated. Perhaps my issue is also reported here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1782984

However their current solution to downgrade the menu-cache to 1.0.1 doesn't apply because it is already:

Code: Select all

/mnt/live/memory/images/003-lxde.xzm/var/log/packages/menu-cache-1.0.1-x86_64-1ponce
Starting pcmanfm from a terminal launches it and returns; after a crash no errors are sent to the terminal anyway. Various logs don't show anything either.

Have tried on a different USB: after a while, and after some innocent customization, PCManFM started crashing again. One possible correlation I think I'm seeing is that it happens more often when I run wine64 apps.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#6 by fulalas » 22 Jan 2019, 20:47

You're totally right! They decided to continue developing it! That's cool! Do you know how to build it? Maybe you should try (both libfm and PCManFM): https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmanf ... elease%29/

Together with menu-cache provided by ponce.

I'm wondering if they fixed that annoying PCManFM issue where you can't navigate back/forward with mouse buttons when in List View mode.

But, yes, Wine is totally messy. I don't trust my system when I activate it, especially if I also activate lib32 compatible. :teehee:

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#7 by rych » 23 Jan 2019, 07:01

OK, PCManFM now started crashing as frequently as before. I no longer suspect Wine or anything else as a direct cause.

I'm going to try your new module now (after it actually finishes with "Upload still in progress…"). Thanks. Previously, an updated module provided by @ncmprhnsbl in File Manager for LXDE (Post by ncmprhnsbl #66681) didn't fix the issue -- made it worse even.

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#8 by rych » 24 Jan 2019, 06:29

Your new module works fine so far: no freezes yet today. I hope this will hold. If not, I'll let you know. Thank you so much! The only feedback is that it (currently?) comes with a quite basic appearance and I can't really change the theme as I used to in the old LXDE. But if that's the price to pay for the stability, it's totally worth it.

UPDATE: It's just crashed for the first time. If it starts crashing more often than once a day, I'll post another update.

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#9 by rych » 24 Jan 2019, 07:08

OK, so it crashes often now. There is a log file I haven't looked at before, '/root/.cache/lxsession/LXDE/run.log' and it has these lines at the time of a crash:

Code: Select all

pcmanfm 
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
pcmanfm: xcb_io.c:259: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.
** Message: 19:58:49.267: app.vala:130: pcmanfm exit with this type of exit: 6
** Message: 19:58:49.268: app.vala:148: Exit not normal, try to reload

** (pcmanfm:13624): WARNING **: 19:58:49.282: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it
pcmanfm 
leafpad '/root/.cache/lxsession/LXDE/run.log' 
It does indeed feel like a multi-threading bug.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#10 by fulalas » 24 Jan 2019, 19:13

This is really odd. I don't know what to do. Maybe you should report this bug to them.

BTW, I've just updated the module, same link -- it's still a working in progress, but at least now you have a decent theme :P

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#11 by rych » 25 Jan 2019, 04:50

Thank you for an update. Still crashes of course. I've submitted a bug to them. By the way, the About dialog still shows: PCManFM 1.3.0 (and LibFM ver. 1.3.1), notice that you said you used pcmanfm-1.3.1 -- did they forget to update the About screen?

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#12 by fulalas » 25 Jan 2019, 05:08

That's weird! For me it shows PCManFM 1.3.1 :shock:

Have you tried booting in Always Fresh mode?

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#13 by rych » 25 Jan 2019, 06:06

Yes, sorry, I've had an old pcmanfm module. Now, it's PCManFM 1.3.1. Actually, I now have to retest it to confirm the problem still present. Let us put this on hold for a while: let me see if/when it starts crashing again and i'll post then. By the way, thanks again for buidling a next LXDE for me to test and for the future releases of porteus. Do you happen to have a newer openbox module for me to test, or someone else is taking care of Openbox DE?

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#14 by rych » 01 Feb 2019, 04:45

Well, the new version PCManFM 1.3.1 still crashes with the same error message as above, although less frequently now. Thanks for your help and I hope my bug report will draw attention from the maintainers. I'll stay with it for now, until it becomes too much and then I think switching to OpenBox is an option -- no crashes there in my tests so far.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#15 by fulalas » 01 Feb 2019, 08:51

Or you can try Xfce. Thunar (file manager) is faster than PCManFM :P