LXDE: PCManFM freezes all the time

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
mbos
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc2

Re: LXDE: PCManFM freezes all the time

Post#16 by mbos » 25 Feb 2019, 23:07

I also experience PCManFM crashing constantly, with the same errors.

Just wanted to let you know, and thank you for reporting it. While I experienced no other stability issues, I now at least know it's not just my machine. :good:

mbos
White ninja
White ninja

Post#17 by mbos » 02 Mar 2019, 09:14

New info: having leafpad crash on me yesterday I realized this has also happened before. Looking at LXDE log, the error printout is identical to pcmanfm error.

This strongly suggests that pcmanfm and leafpad are not at fault. In both cases, what happens is the same. You click quickly through UI and suddenly the app just vanishes.

Could some underlaying library be compiled wrong (without multithreading support or something)?

rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#18 by rych » 10 Mar 2019, 04:23

mbos, yes, Leafpad would crash on me too sometimes. The problem is upstream, or the way they work with GTK2. The solution is as follows: switch to the OpenBox porteus -- it's very similar to LXDE anyway, even better. Its native file manager (and desktop manager?) is SpaceFM. Now, very important: get the GTK3 variant of SpaceFM provided in SpaceFM (Post by ncmprhnsbl #69892) That's all: no more frequent random crashes.

mbos
White ninja
White ninja

Post#19 by mbos » 12 Mar 2019, 21:16

@rych Thanks, might try it. Right now I'm playing with LXQt, no crashes so far :celebrate3:

JRpi
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Raspbian

Post#20 by JRpi » 04 Mar 2020, 18:36

PCManFm started to crash just after sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade.
Launching from the console or graphic interface, same behavior: open 1s, then crash, no error message. :evil:
After a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and immediate reboot, PCManFm is stable again (at least for me) :celebrate3:
Hope it helps and you get this issue solved too.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#21 by fulalas » 04 Mar 2020, 23:10

@JRpi, what version of Porteus are you using?