LXDE: GDBus.Error about ConsoleKit [Solved]

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

LXDE: GDBus.Error about ConsoleKit [Solved]

Post#1 by rych » 08 May 2018, 08:21

1. I've tried new Porteus-LXDE-v4.0-x86_64.iso on two USB sticks, adding only login=root, and the first thing displayed after the desktop loads is an Error message box:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:
The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided
by any .service files
I click "Ok" but then I've seen it reappear once after the screen went black for a second. It's on the same computer that I usually run my 3.2.2 64 LXDE on without this problem.

I also tried Porteus-KDE-v4.0-x86_64.iso and the error is not shown. So it could be LXDE specific.

2. I'd be thankful for any insights on the above, but also for an advice: should I finally move from LXDE to KDE? Here is my thoughts:
1)The larger size probably accounts for Qt5 which I'll anyway need for all my other application, so if it's coming included it saves me the trouble of installing Qt5 separately.
2) It loads slower. And it feels less responsive with all the window animation, transparency, etc. Does KDE allow enough customization to hopefully make it as fast and lean as LXDE? I don't need it to be beautiful, I just want a modern, well supported and developed desktop and I feel that LXDE is becoming rough, see 1. above.
3) Other opinions on KDE vs LXDE please: what nice things would I gain by switching to KDE? What will hurt? What percentage of porteus users are on KDE vs. LXDE?
Last edited by rych on 14 May 2018, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Porteus-v4.0 LXDE experience

Post#2 by Ed_P » 08 May 2018, 14:13

rych wrote:
08 May 2018, 08:21
1. I've tried new Porteus-LXDE-v4.0-x86_64.iso on two USB sticks, adding only login=root, and the first thing displayed after the desktop loads is an Error message box:
What happens if you boot without the login cheatcode??
Ed

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by fulalas » 08 May 2018, 21:31

@rych, I can take a look at that later. You can try to boot in Always Fresh just to be sure that there's no module interfering. Also, as Ed_P suggested, you can also try without the cheat code.

1- The large size of the KDE module is not just related to Qt5, since LXQt module also has the main Qt5 libs and it's way smaller than the KDE module. The thing is that KDE is bloatware. On the other hand, it provides some modern features that may be useful for some users, like supporting HiDPI displays.
2- KDE will never be as responsive as LXDE, period. The KDE code is terrible, really terrible. The community is always inserting new features, regardless if it's reasonable or not. So the approaches are different: KDE tries to be beautiful, lots of effects and apps, while LXDE is focused on simplicity and performance.
3- I think that even considering that LXDE doesn't receive any major updates anymore, it's basically rock solid, so you won't lose that much by sticking to it instead of migrating to a so-called 'modern DE'. Since it's very easy to try different DEs on Porteus, you may want to look at LXQt -- it's kind of the successor of LXDE and it uses Qt5 as the base framework. It's not as fast/light as LXDE, but it's way better than KDE in this regard, and it adds some new features like HiDPI support (although Porteus LXQt is not ready for this yet). :)

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#4 by rych » 09 May 2018, 08:37

@fulalas, @Ed_P, thank you for suggestions. Firstly, let me add a little detail that on the console screen, Ctrl+Alt+F1, after INIT: Entering runlevel 4 the next line reads Unable to cd to /home/guest, although the directory is there, I've checked.

Trying 'Always Fresh' works (better?) in the following way:
  1. login=root is ignored and the system is booted into guest account
  2. No GDBus.Error anymore
  3. on the console screen, no more unable to cd /home/guest
  4. File explorer recognizes and displays disk labels - which it doesn't under root
I should say that I had installed initially on an empty USB drive. So it was also "fresh" in some sense. Perhaps root vs guest would reveal the problem, but:

Removing login=root makes no difference: the system boots into root anyway and so on.

Using login=guest, presents a very different, brown login screen and asks for a password for guest, which I don't know. I login as root instead, and am shown the GDBus.Error again.

I've tried LXQt 0.11.1 x64 last year and found it slightly broken in a couple of places. I'd happily continue to use LXDE, but the error message box is suspicious. The one I used on 3.2.2 (from @jssouza) runs smoothly.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#5 by fulalas » 09 May 2018, 09:12

@rych, can you reproduce this issue under a VBox machine? I tried here and I couldn't see any error using login=root cheat code.

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#6 by rych » 10 May 2018, 10:19

@fulalas, sorry I'd have to learn first what VBox is and how to do it. Maybe it's easy I've just never done it.

I have tried to boot on a different computer (a slightly older, but still rather new, model of Dell Optiplex). The same messages appeared.

I have then installed the LXQt variant of porteus 4.0, added the login=root, and booted successfully into root. Instead of the GDBus.Error, there was a different problem: no sound. The Volume Control window had a wide textual error message across:
Connection to PulseAudio failed. Automatic retry in 5s In this case it is likely because PULSE_SERVER in the Environment/X11 Root Window Properties or default-server in client.conf is misconfigured. This situation can also arrise when PusleAudio crashed and left stale details in the X11 Root Window. If this is the case, then PulseAudio should autospawn again, or if this is not configured you should start-pulseaudio-x11 manually.
On terminal console, suspicious messages were:
Unable to cd to '/home/guest'
Could not figure out who the current user is
E: [pulseeaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed
Not sure if relevant, but the Porteus 3.2.2 64 LXDE that I use on the same machines have one small but annoying problem with audio: I have to unplug and plug headphones once or twice before the sound is rerouted into headphones.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#7 by fulalas » 10 May 2018, 21:32

@rych, it seems that you have some user file/package interfering, that's why I suggested the VBox. But since you don't know how to use it, you can try to put the login=root cheat code into the Always Fresh mode setting. To do that (if I remember well...), you need to edit /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg and find the line MENU LABEL Always Fresh, then on APPEND (just a few lines below) you add after norootcopy the cheat code you want, in your case login=root. Reboot and let me know if this fixes your problem. If it does, it means that you have some user file/package interfering. If it doesn't you may want to download the ISO again and copy it to another USB stick (preferentially after formating it).

BTW, in which city are you living in NZ? I'm living in Auckland now :)

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#8 by rych » 11 May 2018, 06:35

@fulalas, yes adding "login=root" to the "Always Fresh" allows me to boot into root and not see the error. Overall LXDE in this case looks less broken throughout e.g., disk labels in File Manager Places panel are displayed, and more restarting options suddenly appear.

Regarding interference, I installed new porteus LXDE on an empty ext4 USB, and only changed the porteus.cfg file before rebooting into it and seeing the errors. However, I see indeed that it looks like it doesn't like something about my disks. Perhaps it's due to the USB 3 interface. There is no USB 2 socket anymore. And 3.2.2 works well however.

I live in Hamilton. It's not too far apart, we might meet-up one day :)

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#9 by fulalas » 11 May 2018, 08:26

@rych, if your AF mode experiment was conducted using the same USB stick/port as the ones where you get the issues, I wouldn't think that there's any problem with your hardware. The only difference between AF and Graphics Mode is that AF doesn't copy /porteus/rootcopy folder nor load the modules inside /porteus/modules -- that's why I told you that maybe there's some file/package interfering. I would be surprised if you put the ISO content inside an empty USB stick and, without changing anything, you see any error booting into Graphics Mode.

I've never been to Hamilton! It would be a nice opportunity to meet you and the place. :good:

Edit: just tested LXDE on my real machine (i.e. non-VBox) and everything worked as it should even with login=root cheat code.

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#10 by rych » 12 May 2018, 11:47

Found the problem: it was wrong to treat the .iso file as an archive and use "Extract To" to copy files. I mounted the.iso file properly and then copied files from it, and now it works.

As for LXDE vs. KDE: during my trials, I booted the KDE version on my old laptop and it crawled, was barely usable. So for me at least LXDE is still the best. Thank you, @fulalas for attending to to my problems and for a correct opinion about KDE.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#11 by fulalas » 13 May 2018, 22:12

Cool! :punk: