Skype gnome-keyring bug

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
por01
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus LXDE 4.0 x86_64

Skype gnome-keyring bug

Post#1 by por01 » 20 Apr 2018, 00:12

Downloaded latest Skype DEB file, created and activated module:

Code: Select all

$ cd /tmp
$ wget https://repo.skype.com/latest/skypeforlinux-64.deb

# deb2xzm skypeforlinux-64.deb

# activate skypeforlinux-64.xzm
Started Skype. Entered my username and password. Pop upped the gnome-keyring window. Set the password for keyring. The Skype window got unusable. Quitted Skype. Restarted Skype. STARTUP_LOAD_ERROR "...there was a problem with Skype. Try signing out and back in." Tried... The same... Quitted... Again all... The same result. The gnome-keyring window never appeared to ask for the set password.

Note: Downloaded the same DEB file in Debian Live OS. Extracted DEB file. Started Skype... see above ... Skype window got unusable. Quitted Skype. Restarted Skype. The gnome-keyring window appeared. Entered the previously set password. Skype started and worked.

Proposal to developers: please remove gnome-keyring. This only creates problems and problems... For password storing there are much better solutions. For example encfs. EncFS does not break other applications and I have full controll over the encryted directory, the set password, over everything. But in case of gnome-keyring I have controll over nothing...

Lowe
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Ubuntu 18.6

Skype gnome-keyring bug

Post#2 by Lowe » 21 May 2019, 17:33

por01 wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 00:12

Downloaded latest Skype DEB file, created and activated module:

Code: Select all

$ cd /tmp
$ wget https://repo.skype.com/latest/skypeforlinux-64.deb

# deb2xzm skypeforlinux-64.deb

# activate skypeforlinux-64.xzm
Started Skype. Entered my username and password. Pop upped the gnome-keyring window. Set the password for keyring. The Skype window got unusable. Quitted Skype. Restarted Skype. STARTUP_LOAD_ERROR "...there was a problem with Skype. Try signing out and back in." Tried... The same... Quitted... Again all... The same result. The gnome-keyring window never appeared to ask for the set password.

Note: Downloaded the same DEB file in gimp freejobalert notepad++ Debian Live OS. Extracted DEB file. Started Skype... see above ... Skype window got unusable. Quitted Skype. Restarted Skype. The gnome-keyring window appeared. Entered the previously set password. Skype started and worked.

Proposal to developers: please remove gnome-keyring. This only creates problems and problems... For password storing there are much better solutions. For example encfs. EncFS does not break other applications and I have full controll over the encryted directory, the set password, over everything. But in case of gnome-keyring I have controll over nothing...
Facing the same and have the same request to the devs.

Thanks and Regards,
Lowe
Last edited by Lowe on 30 May 2019, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Skype gnome-keyring bug

Post#3 by Ed_P » 21 May 2019, 20:28

I could be wrong but I don't think many/any of the skypeforlinux developers visit here. :Search:
Ed