Dolphin is the default file manager even in LXDE

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
BlackRider
Black ninja
Black ninja

Dolphin is the default file manager even in LXDE

Post#1 by BlackRider » 24 Jul 2011, 18:38

Hello again.

Dolphin, the file manager provided by KDE, is the default file manager even in LXDE. Clicking on the "Home" icon in the Desktop will bring it up instead of PCmanfm, which would be the desirable behaviour.

I understand that, when a guy boots to LXDE, he prefers to use LXDE apps instead of KDE apps...

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Dolphin is the default file manager even in LXDE

Post#2 by Hamza » 24 Jul 2011, 18:47

Hmm..

That is not really a "bug" for some reasons:

1) The user can open with PCmanfm without problem
2) That is not make any problem in any plans
3) The user can choose the FileManager that he want to run

I think, that is a suggestion and not a bug.

HELP US Ponce! :D

Thanks for bug report :wink:
NjVFQzY2Rg==

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 24 Jul 2011, 20:07

@BlackRider
this is a classic example of an issues created by stackable filesystem (aufs), where a file from module activated later in the boot process "overwrites" a file from module activated earlier.
003-lxde.xzm contains ~/Desktop/Home.desktop where pcmanfm opens home folder. 004-kde.xzm contains the same file but dolphin does the job. files from module 004 overwrites 003 and here is the problem.
solution: remove LXDE or KDE and stick to one *DE.

i could create for example Home-lxde.desktop for LXDE and Home-kde.desktop for KDE (files wouldn't be colliding then) but user would get 2 icons with the same purpose on the desktop at start. this could be annoying a little....

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

BlackRider
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by BlackRider » 24 Jul 2011, 20:41

solution: remove LXDE or KDE and stick to one *DE.
I know, I have tried that myself. However, this "solution" seems to me like asking the user to remove the networking capabilities of Porteus in order to fix a minor annoyance. Not very constructive.

It is not exactly a bug, maybe, but it generates an inconsistent desktop experience for the end user. If PCmanfm is managing the wallpaper and the icons, the user may be badly surprised when Dolphin pop's up. Dolphin is slow as a snail when compared with the PCmanfm he would surely expect.
i could create for example Home-lxde.desktop for LXDE and Home-kde.desktop for KDE (files wouldn't be colliding then) but user would get 2 icons with the same purpose on the desktop at start. this could be annoying a little....
You could create those icons, and then a script that deletes one of them depending on the boot parameters and the desktop selected by the user at booting.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 24 Jul 2011, 21:37

@BlackRider
"this "solution" seems to me like asking the user to remove the networking capabilities of Porteus in order to fix a minor annoyance. Not very constructive."
i'm aware of that, but it's the only 100% safe solution which comes to my mind atm :)

"you could create those icons, and then a script that deletes one of them depending on the boot parameters and the desktop selected by the user at booting."
this could work for 'Always Fresh' mode (and with assumption that user never switches desktop from LXDE to KDE during live session) but would be dangerous in case when user save changes. pls imagine this type of bug reports :
after first booting to LXDE my home folder under KDE is never opened by dolphin but rather by some very basic file manager! what's wrong with Porteus?

another possible solution:
a) if LXDE is your preferred desktop
b) and you dont want to get rid of 004-kde.xzm completely
c) and you dont like opening home folder from the task bar icon
then rename 003-lxde.xzm to 004-lxde.xzm.
it will be activated later in the boot process and home folder will be always opened by pcmanfm (also in kde) :wink:

btw: it would be interesting to see how many users prefer LXDE over KDE. maybe we should focus on LXDE in Porteus-1.1 release? i think we could create another poll and ask community what's the most welcome desktop in Porteus (Kde-3 Trinity, Kde-4, Lxde, Xfce, Enlightenment, Gnome?)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

BlackRider
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by BlackRider » 24 Jul 2011, 23:30

after first booting to LXDE my home folder under KDE is never opened by dolphin but rather by some very basic file manager! what's wrong with Porteus?
Want a basic file manager? You can use xfe, or even xfm. That is basic. What the hell, we even have Midnight Commander, one of my favourites!
another possible solution:
a) if LXDE is your preferred desktop
b) and you dont want to get rid of 004-kde.xzm completely
c) and you dont like opening home folder from the task bar icon
then rename 003-lxde.xzm to 004-lxde.xzm.
it will be activated later in the boot process and home folder will be always opened by pcmanfm (also in kde)
This solution is better... for me. But it seems to me somehow dirty. A cleaner solution (for me) would be to unpack the KDE module, destroy the offending file with "shred --random-source=/dev/frandom -n=90 Home.desktop" (to set my anger free :evil: , so when I go street my geek instincts are satisfied and nobody notices I am a freak) and repack the module.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#7 by Hamza » 25 Jul 2011, 08:56

@fanthom,

You could add a function to "lxde" script with the replacement of the "Home.desktop" of KDE by the "Home.desktop"

Like this small script..

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

if [ ! -d "/mnt/live/memory/images/003-lxde.xzm" ]; then
exit 1
fi

DESK=`echo $DESKTOP_SESSION`
if [ "$DESK" != "default" -o "$DESK" != "kde3" ]; then
cp -R /mnt/live/memory/images/003-lxde.xzm{/root,/home/guest}/Desktop/Home.desktop /{root,home/guest}/Desktop
fi
Cheers!
NjVFQzY2Rg==