System hang up by entering bootlevel 3

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
jjflash
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2-32Bit - 5.01-64Bit

System hang up by entering bootlevel 3

Post#1 by jjflash » 04 Jan 2017, 10:06

In the first, a (late) happy new year to everyone and a lot of thanks to the makers of Porteus.

Please excuse my bad english, I am a native speaking german (and I've learned english in the 80'th at school).

I have tried the new version 3.22 (32 bit) in kiosk-mode and (by downloading modules from server) in desktop mode. I've tested the system on 5 computers, 3 old notebooks, a 5 year old notebook and a Desktop-PC.

On Desktop-PC I,m having problems:

By entering bootlevel 3 most of time the computer hangs up. This computer works fine with Win7 (64 Bit), Win10 (64 Bit), Porteus 3.1 (32 bit), Xubuntu (32 bit).
If I try Porteus 64-Bit, everything works well (but for compatibility with the other computer I use Porteus 32 Bit).

Cause I'm developing electronics with embedded microcontrollers I know about a bug using a chip CH340 / CH341. The original driver for these USB to RS232 chip have an error with parity check.

Perhaps you can solve the this by implenting the patch for CH340/CH341 to the kernel ?

Nice greetings and thanks a lot for Porteus,

Ralph
I'm an old man, but I'm stil in learning process

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: System hang up by entering bootlevel 3

Post#2 by brokenman » 05 Jan 2017, 00:35

Can you point me to the patch please?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jjflash
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2-32Bit - 5.01-64Bit

Re: System hang up by entering bootlevel 3

Post#3 by jjflash » 05 Jan 2017, 09:25

In fact that the CH340G is a chinese chip, often used in embedded electronics and cheap hardware, the patch is stored on a chinese website.

http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_LINUX_ZIP.html

The file to download is:

CH341SER_LINUX.ZIP

By searching the web, there a sites who offers a patch, but a lot of them don't work correctly. This one works great with porteus (and xubuntu, and slackware), both in 32 or 64 bit.

Greetings,

Ralph
I'm an old man, but I'm stil in learning process