Missing and Broken Functions

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Missing and Broken Functions

Post#1 by nickh » 03 Jul 2011, 13:05

I am finding my way round Porteus to set it up like my old slax-remix and I have noticed:

1 - in the menu > Internet > wpa_gui if you click on it, it says "Command 'wpa_gui' not found - but I do appreciate having Wicd built in as it is what I used before.

2 - Wicd does not auto-populate the wireless interface with wlan0 (but it may be that I am not connecting the dongle until after Porteus has booted)

3 - In Konqueror > Remote Places > Add a Network Folder all you get is an error message "Malformed URL remote:/x-wizard_service.desktop" so I don't know how to add remote places. This is fairly important to me as I need to add remote samba and ssh connections.

Posted after 14 hours 49 minutes 43 seconds:
In addition the other icons under Konqueror > Remote Places except Samba fail

Posted after 1 hour 24 minutes 8 seconds:
If you try to add a Link to Location in Konqueror > Remote Places > Samba Shares in the format smb://IP_address/sharename, it fails with a message that "The process for the smb protocol died unexpectedly"

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Missing and Broken Functions

Post#2 by brokenman » 04 Jul 2011, 13:59

1 - in the menu > Internet > wpa_gui if you click on it, it says "Command 'wpa_gui' not found
libQtGui.so.4 is missing from 32bit so the wpa_gui will not function. You can chase down all the libraries but this was designed for KDE4 so there may be a few. I will remove the wpa_gui from he next release.

2 - Wicd does not auto-populate the wireless interface with wlan0 (but it may be that I am not connecting the dongle until after Porteus has booted)
Works ok here. Please try booting with dongle in place.

I will look into the last network related problem when i get a chance on network.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by nickh » 04 Jul 2011, 15:35

1 - I've removed it from the menu now. Anyway I am happy with Wicd as it is what I used to use.

2 - It auto-populates when booted with the dongle plugged in, but not when it is plugged in after boot up.

3 - FWIW I think the message should be "Malformed URL remote:/x-wizard_service.desktop.desktop" from what I have found so far. It is just that the pop-up box is not wide enough to display the full text. I hope you'll get a chance to look at this one as it is the main one for me. The others were trivial.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 04 Jul 2011, 21:25

For point 2 you can try restarting your network after plugging in the dongle.

If it helps with your network (for now) here is how i mount a network share from console.

Code: Select all

modprobe cifs
mkdir /mnt/win
mount -t cifs -o useranme=Maura,password=secret  //192.168.1.200/jay /mnt/win
or run knetattach from console or from kmenu.

The problem here lies with kwrite being the default app to open .desktop files. You fix this yourself by right clicking on the 'add network folder wizard' and choosing properties. Then click on the little icon next to 'type' and remove kwrite from the list of apps to open it.

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by nickh » 05 Jul 2011, 19:35

Re point 2, running "/etc/rc.d/net restart" after plugging in the dongle works.

For the network I removed the file associations for desktop and kwhiz (not sure if I needed to do this one) and the wizard now works correctly. I'll go with this solution as I also needed to add an ssh (fish) connection to the server.

Thanks,

Nick

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 05 Jul 2011, 22:11

Great, thanks for the report. I will remove the x-desktop file association for next release, and drop a fix on the server.

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by nickh » 15 Feb 2012, 12:47

brokenman wrote:Great, thanks for the report. I will remove the x-desktop file association for next release, and drop a fix on the server.
The bug still exists in 1.1 32-bit.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 15 Feb 2012, 15:39

v1.2rc1 is due out this week. Trinity has been completely rebuilt so many of the old bugs should be history. Of course there may be new ones born. Time will tell.

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#9 by nickh » 15 Feb 2012, 15:46

...... and I've only just about got 1.1 up and running as I wanted it!