KDE4 hanging while booting with a save.dat file

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Issack
White ninja
White ninja

KDE4 hanging while booting with a save.dat file

Post#1 by Issack » 25 Jun 2011, 01:32

Hi,

I'm having a problem where using a save.dat file results in not being able to start KDE4 during boot.

KDE4 can be started subsequently by changing to another tty session, logging in as guest, and then using startx from there. Then it works just fine.

Size of save.dat file was 1.2GiB, I was having better luck with using a pre-made blank 2GiB slaxsave.dat file that I extracted from an older version of porteus. So I am using that now.

Files are saved on an NTFS filesystem.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: KDE4 hanging while booting with a save.dat file

Post#2 by Ahau » 25 Jun 2011, 15:11

Hi Issack,

I was unable to reproduce your error. I created a 1.2GB save.dat from the 'Porteus save.dat Manager' in the KDE menu, and saved it to a FAT device (I only have FAT and EXT2 available). guest and root were able to log in to KDE with saved changes. Have you tried logging in without the 'changes=' cheatcode, and checking your save.dat for corruption with Porteus save.dat Manager? Also, if you had some conflicting files inside your .dat container, that could be a problem, so try mounting it with mloop (again, don't apply changes at startup before this) and deleting all files (especially those in /home/guest).

If all else fails, try remaking the .dat container and starting fresh, and if the problem persists, please give us the output of 'psinfo', which saves log files to your desktop.

I did run into an error while my save.dat was being created:

Code: Select all

XXX
XXX
Building save.dat (1022 Mb)
XXX
XXX
Building save.dat (1.0 Mb)
XXX
/opt/porteus-scripts/make-changes.sh: line 91: [: 1.1: integer expression expected
It seems to have happened right after the file passed 1GB in size. However, the file is 1.2GB, it took a while after that error to complete making it, and it still seems to work....I'm not sure what's going on there.

Good luck!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Issack
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Issack » 25 Jun 2011, 18:15

I tried all of that and the .dat files (except the 1.2 GiB one I made) don't appear to be the problem.

Actually the problem appears to be happening in the step where it makes a xorg.conf for ATI drivers (where it runs xconf). I tried running it outside of X and it seemed to function just fine.

Then when I tried restarting again, I noticed that it made another xorg.conf.fglrx backup file. I'm noticing that it makes a new one every single time I restart and xconf is run (it seems to run xconf on every restart).

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 25 Jun 2011, 21:02

@Ahau
"integer expression expected" bug is fixed now:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/testing/1.0-fixes

@Issack
could you boot Porteus with 'ati-fglrx' module in /porteus/modules and then upload /etc/X11/xorg.conf + /var/log/Xorg.0.log to pastebin.com, please.

"(it seems to run xconf on every restart)"
pls remove 'xconf' from 'autoexec=' cheatcode
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Issack
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by Issack » 26 Jun 2011, 02:11

Okay, removing xconf from startup cheat codes did let it boot into KDE4, but plasma desktop immediately crashed when doing so (not to mention it took a good 10 minutes for it to start up).

if xconf is a cheatcode, KDE4 still crashes and starting it from tty1 immediately resolves the problem and KDE functions like normal (normal startup time as well).

I'm already using the ati-fglrx module.

I'm noticing xconf is creating lots and lots of backup files for every time I start KDE4 with the xconf cheat code. So far it is up to 7 (so the files are xorg.conf.fglrx-1 through 7).

http://pastebin.com/XJZwy6nf my xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/jSUvP9rn my last Xorg.0.log file.

I will say about the Xorg.0.log file, that was from a time when I started without the xconf cheatcode. So it may not list information needed from running xconf.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#6 by fanthom » 26 Jun 2011, 05:03

@Issack
does the crash happen when you boot without 'changes=' cheatcode?
does the crash happen when you boot without ati-fglrx module?
from the log files you posted everything looks ok....
would be great if you could upload whole /var/log folder to (for example) mediafire and send me download link by PM.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Issack
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by Issack » 28 Jun 2011, 04:22

Hi again, sorry for being absent the last day or so.

-Crash does not happen when not booting without changes= (It boots normally without changes= cheatcode, always fresh boots correctly 100% of the time)

-I just tried it without the ati-fglrx module and the crash also did not happen (but it took over a minute to load KDE4, which doesn't happen when starting KDE4 from another tty window).

Also when I tried it without ati-fglrx it did the same thing as booting without the xconf cheatcode, in that it starts KDE4 after a while and then plasma desktop crashes (as in my desktop doesn't display and instead displays a white/black screen which I can't interact with, my toolbars are still existent but the desktop portion is blank, I tried searching google for a similar problem and came up empty). This might be related to another bug but I'm not entirely sure, As this doesn't happen when I boot without changes= cheatcode.

-I can upload my /var/log folder for you to look at if I am given more time, I won't be able to do this within the next day or so. But I will get it to you as quickly as possible.

Thank you again