[SOLVED] Internal Wifi not recognized (3.2 RC5)

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce

[SOLVED] Internal Wifi not recognized (3.2 RC5)

Post#1 by fred08155 » 25 Sep 2016, 11:15

SW porteus 3.2 RC5 xfce 64bit
HW HP Elitebook 2540p

Everything works fine under porteus 3.1.
With RC2 of 3.2 with KDE desktop also everything was fine so far.
Then i tried RC5 and wifi card no longer is recognized. When i plug in an external WLAN USB stick network connection works fine.

How do i check what´s going wrong on my system?

There are some other bugs i noticed... x window system sometimes gets delayed for 5 minutes on bootup so i have to power down the system and restart (time is money). Next time usually everything works OK.
USM is very unstable. If i update sources i can´t download software afterwards (no reaction when hitting the button). Even if sources where latest when doing update.
Very very very often download of LIBS.txt fails for unknown reason. Since update isn´t possible any time this is very frustrating bug. Sometimes console window tells me to wait 6 hours until next update is possible...

I tried to use german localisation. I shouldn´t have done this.
After restart the guest account was broken and only shows error message "Failed to execute login command".
Root account works fine (in german). I tried to fix this with useradd, usermod etc. commands but my knowledge of linux systems is not that deep that it worked.

I downloaded some software through USM - darktable, rawtherapee, gimp, vivaldi, firefox, chromium and some more.
Not a single XZM package worked. :(
Last edited by fred08155 on 01 Dec 2016, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Internal Wifi not recognized (3.2 RC5)

Post#2 by brokenman » 25 Sep 2016, 14:30

How do i check what´s going wrong on my system?
First step is to open Porteus settings centre and do a system information dump. Upload it to pastebin and post a link to it here. This will save people asking the same old required questions here.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586

Post#3 by FURRY_NOVA » 25 Sep 2016, 16:54

There are times it takes 5 minutes for me just to boot up but I thought it was due to all the extra modules I added being loaded. Sometimes it quicker one part then slower than other part of boot. Just thought I note it.

Also, can change update delay in /etc/usm/usm.conf file for USM.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 25 Sep 2016, 17:42

There are times it takes 5 minutes for me just to boot up but I thought it was due to all the extra modules I added being loaded.
When testing, please boot into Always Fresh Mode only. Years of troubleshooting tells me that these extra modules often contain the offending files.

No point poking around the haystack when the problem isn't even in the barn. I am addressing the wifi problem in this thread which I believe may not be due to the extra modules, however I am almost certain that some of your other problems are.

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by FURRY_NOVA » 25 Sep 2016, 19:50

No worries. I'm sorry about that, mate. I didn't know other modules could cause issues with built-in base Network Manager. I'll keep Always Fresh in mind for future testing.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by fred08155 » 25 Sep 2016, 22:44

Dump files sent through PM. :)

Anyone else interested in reading the dump?

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by fred08155 » 14 Nov 2016, 23:15

According to brokenman seems to have something to do with the kernel.
Unfortunately same problem persists with final release of porteus 3.2. :(

Is there a way to include the driver or fix whatever is broken?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 15 Nov 2016, 00:01

Can you upload the information dump again please? I had to clean my inbox and don't remember the exact problem.
Regarding the download of language files corrupting the system, this problem was resolved on Saturday (two days ago). Have you tried it since then on the latest ISO? What is the md5sum of the ISO you downloaded?

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

WiFi Temporary Fix

Post#9 by FURRY_NOVA » 15 Nov 2016, 00:10

You could download an old Porteus iso like 3.1 32bit / 64bit or an old 3.2rcX 32bit / 64bit.

Links above use this mirror I use http://ftp.vim.org/ftp/os/Linux/distr/porteus/ to avoid putting strain on Porteus main server.

The WiFi bug is random with me but if you really need to use your internal WiFi card and latest os isn't working at all. Be warned I don't know what old bugs you'll encounter. This would probably be a temporary last resort till fixed if no solution helps.

brokenman mentioned a kernel cheat code to disable ipv6 here Re: Porteus -v3.2 final (Post by brokenman #50338) I don't know how to use kernel cheats but I think I recall ipv6 being part of the network issue.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 by brokenman » 15 Nov 2016, 00:20

There should be absolutely no problem taking the latest Porteus version and swapping out boot/syslinux/vmlinuz and porteus/base/000-kernel.xzm for modules from a 3.2 version that worked for you. This will clarify if the problem is indeed in the kernel/kernel modules/kernel firmware.

The kernel cheatcode just goes in the porteus.cfg file or hit TAB at the boot menu to enter it manually.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#11 by fred08155 » 15 Nov 2016, 22:32

If you want to analyse dump again i have to make a new one. Old is expired.

This is what brokenman wrote in the PM
Thanks. That helps a lot. I notice the message that modemmanager disappeared from the bus in the rc5 version. Will have to try the later kernel to see if it is fixed. I will upload it this week.
I am not sure which version of ISO i have. Need to check md5. I downloaded ISOs friday or saturday from main server.
File change date says download finished saturday 18:53 GMT.

By the way. Another bug i noticed in rc5 also is in the final i tested. If i try to open an ISO file with mc i get "parse error".
Old version midnight commander from porteus 3.1 opens ISO files without any problems.
Last edited by fred08155 on 15 Nov 2016, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by FURRY_NOVA » 15 Nov 2016, 22:39

Type this in Terminal:

Code: Select all

uname -r
The current kernel is "4.8.7-porteus". If it says "4.8.6-porteus" then yours is older version of final.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 by brokenman » 15 Nov 2016, 23:22

By the way. Another bug i noticed in rc5 also is in the final i tested. If i try to open an ISO file with mc i get "parse error".
Yes this was reported today by another person. And also by Jack some time ago. This has been fixed for the next release.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#14 by Jack » 16 Nov 2016, 00:23

brokenman wrote:
Yes this was reported today by another person. And also by Jack some time ago. This has been fixed for the next release.
Thank you for the fixed and I will test it when you release it.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#15 by fred08155 » 16 Nov 2016, 17:48

Next try with newer release that came out 3 hours after i downloaded 3.2 final on saturday.
Old version was kernel 4.8.6, now is 4.8.7. Still no wifi.

By the way... i get a message "A start job is running for dhcpcd on en025s" on APorteus which slows down bootup a little.
This message does not appear with normal porteus based on slackware.
May this have something to do with wifi working fine on APorteus and not working on normal porteus?