Porteus-v3.2rc5 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus-v3.2rc5 bug reports

Post#136 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2016, 02:04

@Blaze
I compiled the NetworkManager stack as reports are that it is stable. Seems ok for me so far.
Still on the isoloop. Instead of changing the path itself (/mnt/isoloop to /mnt/live/mnt/isoloop), couldn't the path be given via a symlink?
I've made the appropriate changes in the appropriate files. Next release should see a correct symlink at /mnt/isoloop. Thanks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#137 by Blaze » 09 Oct 2016, 10:03

brokenman, for building I used slackbuilds.org scripts + some my tweaks.
I have done xzm modules for x86_64 (+ include sources with my tweaks of slackbuilds.org scripts for simple building x86 arch pakages)

NetworkManager-openvpn-1.2.6.tar.bz2
NetworkManager-pptp-1.2.4.tar.bz2
NetworkManager-vpnc-1.2.4.tar.bz2

BTW, after some days tests of NetworkManager-1.4.2 troubles with fast connection via DHCP remains (when Porteus start up, I see this notification of Cinnamon), but random discounts is gone.
It's trouble call by IPv6. If I disable IPv6 - all ok. This advice with dhcp=dhclient (look at this) for fix it remains relevant!!!
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#138 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2016, 15:54

Ok thanks. I have the new networkmanager using dhclient.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#139 by Ed_P » 10 Oct 2016, 01:37

Ed_P wrote:
ncmprhnsbl wrote:
Ed_P wrote:Running 50.0b5 with the same flash problem. (The latest results from update-firefox.) The only addon shown is one for OpenH264 Video Codec
the only thing i can think to suggest is restart firefox.... i've had no problem with any combination of firefox and flash versions...
(note firefox will incorrectly display flash 23* as 11*)
Surprise, surprise. :) I've booted into Always Fresh mode and Flash now shows as a plugin. So something in my changes= file is causing the problem. :wall:
So how does one uninstall a Porteus module??

Sounds like a stupid question doesn't it. Delete the xzm module dummy. And that is what I did. But there were still mozilla folders in my save.dat file after I rebooted without the Firefox and Flashplayer modules. So I deleted them, readded the two browser modules rebooted and Firefox and Flashplayer still don't work together.

So HOW do I uninstall the two modules, when using a save.dat file so I can get the two modules to work together again. I shouldn't have to restart with a new save.dat file and reinput all my other customizations.
Ed

alexgorr
White ninja
White ninja

Post#140 by alexgorr » 10 Oct 2016, 08:23

I'm sorry asking that , but are there some updates to download or there will be be a rc6 ?
For now the previous version + updates here http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/dl.porteus.org
seem to work fine.
THANKS

POST EDITED by brokenman.
Sorry for doing this but I had to edit your post. I prefer the link you posted not to be posted just yet. In any case please use the mirrors when you download modules. They are much faster and it saves bandwidth on our server.

http://porteus.org/porteus-mirrors.txt

To answer your question. The next release will be the final release. There will be no rc6. Please give the above link 24 hours to update the changes. I uploaded new 001,002 files today since I compiled NetworkManager without python.

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586

Post#141 by FURRY_NOVA » 10 Oct 2016, 17:16

NetworkManager at it again, taking many reboots trying to get it to startup to get on here. I'm using the modules Blaze posted:
NetworkManager-1.4.2-i586-1_gfs.xzm
network-manager-applet-1.4.2-i486-1_gfs.xzm

When I shutdown, I struggle catching the error messages and one shows "critical" in caps about libnm (Library Network Manager I think) and something about applet. I looked at USM and there libnm-qt not installed. I'm guessing it doesn't have an update or another version of the non-qt one if that's the source of the issue.

I've noticed it occurred more after Porteus crashed other night and boot-up showed errors and had to restart again then it was fine. I know I should be using Always Fresh but I can only reproduce this bug during dat change session. :(

Is there a way to get the previous shutdown logs or a console command to grab behind the XFCE background messages? I'm sure it will provide more insight to what's causing this problem. If there anything I can do I'm happy to help to. :(
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Post#142 by rchase » 10 Oct 2016, 18:21

No Internet via my on-board (MSI H81M-P33) Ethernet connection on my desktop. Porteus apparently sees the hardware and says the connection is active. What information would be diagnostic? On the general subject of troubles with Porteus, nothing I could do would get Refind to work with Porteus on a GPT-formatted SDD on this computer (although it worked fine with the internal eMMC of my Kangaroo); I ended up just using Grub2 with the latest Mint, and it seems to work -- multiboots Windows 10, Porteus, Linux Mint Cinnamon, and Phoenix OS. I am going to try to revert to rc4 and see whether the Internet works.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#143 by rchase » 10 Oct 2016, 19:02

Porteus XFCE 3.2rc4 isn't able to access the Internet using my on-board Ethernet on my desktop (with an MSI H81M-P33 motherboard) either; is this a kernel problem or a Porteus problem?

P.S. I suppose that it is not a problem with the kernel; Mint has 4.4 and it has no problem using my Ethernet.
Last edited by rchase on 10 Oct 2016, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#144 by rchase » 10 Oct 2016, 19:20

After re-installing rc5, I let it look for the connection (swirling progress indicator in place of network icon) while I looked at the file system -- the system suddenly froze; I had to do a hard power down to restart. Attempting to restart Porteus once wouldn't start xorg; trying again worked.

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#145 by FURRY_NOVA » 10 Oct 2016, 19:26

I'm sure v3.1 was fine with the internet, but it been some time since I was on it so I can't guarantee it. The problem is probably rooted between v3.2rc1 and v3.2rc4 if it's true.

I could try testing on other versions of XFCE but to make sure it okay probably take a week per version to make sure it okay since it doesn't tend to trigger the first day for me. Only downside is I think brokenman wants to get v3.2 released soon. And I don't like to keep resetting up my panel, wallpaper, browser content and stuff. I need to make a thread some point on how to pass application data between Porteus versions some point.

Edit: Froze as in the mouse pointer becomes very slow to point of near non-responsive? I've had that a few times but I thought it was JavaScript pages on my browser triggering that where OS doesn't have a safety function to take priority of loop scripts to close the browser.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#146 by Blaze » 10 Oct 2016, 19:43

FURRY_NOVA wrote:NetworkManager at it again, taking many reboots trying to get it to startup to get on here. I'm using the modules Blaze posted:
Are you disable IPv6 or try this advice look at this ???

Hi, rchase.
Can you try Internet with my modules (Note. Download for your architecture)?
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#147 by rchase » 10 Oct 2016, 20:31

FURRY_NOVA wrote:Edit: Froze as in the mouse pointer becomes very slow to point of near non-responsive? I've had that a few times but I thought it was JavaScript pages on my browser triggering that where OS doesn't have a safety function to take priority of loop scripts to close the browser.
No -- "froze" as in everything completely locked up (the desktop was still displayed, unchanging).

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#148 by rchase » 10 Oct 2016, 21:13

I built my desktop about two years ago; I put NetworkManager-1.4.2-x86_64-1_gfs.xzm and network-manager-applet-1.4.2-x86_64-1_gfs.xzm in /modules. Both modules show as loaded, but there is now no Network manager shown in the Notification Area (and I still have no Internet).

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#149 by FURRY_NOVA » 10 Oct 2016, 22:28

Blaze wrote:
FURRY_NOVA wrote:NetworkManager at it again, taking many reboots trying to get it to startup to get on here. I'm using the modules Blaze posted:
Are you disable IPv6 or try this advice look at this ???
Yea, it didn't work for me, mate. I still had to restart 2 times for it to work. I downloaded the dhcp 4.3.4 xzm from USM since mine 32 bit and I've changed the config correctly.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#150 by brokenman » 11 Oct 2016, 01:33

For people with ipv6 problems, NetworkManager should be compiled with dhclient support.
--with-dhclient

Then you will need to include the latest updates which I pushed to the server this morning I doubt very much that this is what is causing the complete lockups you mention. Can you describe your setup a bit more? Vanilla Porteus-v3.2rc5?