[Solved] Issues Resizing savefile.dat in Savefile Manager

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586

[Solved] Issues Resizing savefile.dat in Savefile Manager

Post#1 by FURRY_NOVA » 11 Aug 2016, 18:11

Hi, I recently just started using Porteus and slowly getting a feel for using the new OS. I checked forums for this issue but none solved my issue so I registered here to report it.

I'm currently using XFCE (recommended by a friend) 32bit v3.1, running from a pen drive.

I'm using a 512mb, formatted as ext4, dat container. Less issues and recommended than xfc I've read on forums somewhere. Issue is I'm unable to load or write changes to new resized one after enlarging it to 1024mb even though it is found during the boot process with some errors.

I've attempted this at least 2 times. Even used Always Flash mode for performing the resize operation and changing the config changes directory.

I don't know how to c/p the boot terminal logs for extra assistance.

Any help be appreciated.

-

Just a side note bug I've found.

Code: Select all

changes:EXIT/path/file.dat
version is buggy. When I try delete a file on my desktop it returns during the next boot like the shutdown overall save isn't being done. The boot terminal log during the clean stage shows the file split in 3 were the spaces are like it thinks it's 3 separate files or something.
Last edited by FURRY_NOVA on 12 Aug 2016, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Issues Resizing savefile.dat in Savefile Manager

Post#2 by Bogomips » 11 Aug 2016, 19:00

Welcome to Porteus.
FURRY_NOVA wrote:Just a side note bug I've found.

Not sure what you mean here. but the correct boot parameter is:

changes=EXIT:/path/file.dat
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by FURRY_NOVA » 11 Aug 2016, 19:21

Bogomips wrote:Welcome to Porteus.
FURRY_NOVA wrote:Just a side note bug I've found.

Not sure what you mean here. but the correct boot parameter is:

changes=EXIT:/path/file.dat
Sorry, my typo error. It was days back before I had to recreate the dat when I was still learning to use it. I had issues with changes=EXIT:/path/file.dat method when I was trying to reduce read/white access to my device to increase life span, so I ended up going back to changes=/path/file.dat for that part.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 11 Aug 2016, 20:03

changes=EXIT:/path/file.dat writes all changes one time when Porteus is shutting down. changes=/path/file.dat writes changes as they occur.
Ed

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by FURRY_NOVA » 11 Aug 2016, 22:56

Ed_P wrote:changes=EXIT:/path/file.dat writes all changes one time when Porteus is shutting down. changes=/path/file.dat writes changes as they occur.
I know it saves on shutdown but it seemed to cause issues not allowing a file to ever be fully perm deleted even though I try re-delete the file and shut down. When I reboot, the file still appears even though it just a mp3 file on my desktop. changes=/path/file.dat seems more stable so far. I think I read there was an issue with "EXIT:" version somewhere.

Sorry, I forgot to mention additional information about main issue about savefile.dat. When I complete the resize I noticed an unopenable Volume drive appearing on desktop.

Also Savefile Manager Recovery just closes after confirming the enlarged dat. Task manager shows no CPU process being performed and no error logs appear under /tmp/savefile-recovery.log as it says in the Savefile Manager menu. But it just creates an empty folder under /tmp/savefile/

Hope this additional information helps, guys.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 12 Aug 2016, 02:10

FURRY_NOVA wrote:I know it saves on shutdown but it seemed to cause issues not allowing a file to ever be fully perm deleted even though I try re-delete the file and shut down. When I reboot, the file still appears even though it just a mp3 file on my desktop. changes=/path/file.dat seems more stable so far. I think I read there was an issue with "EXIT:" version somewhere.
Does your file's name have a blank/space in it's name? I've experienced problems with files like that. If so this link should help: How to remove "cp: can't stat" errors [Solved]

I can't help with the other problems.
Ed

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by FURRY_NOVA » 12 Aug 2016, 02:16

Ed_P wrote:
FURRY_NOVA wrote:I know it saves on shutdown but it seemed to cause issues not allowing a file to ever be fully perm deleted even though I try re-delete the file and shut down. When I reboot, the file still appears even though it just a mp3 file on my desktop. changes=/path/file.dat seems more stable so far. I think I read there was an issue with "EXIT:" version somewhere.
Does your file's name have a blank/space in it's name? I've experienced problems with files like that. If so this link should help: How to remove "cp: can't stat" errors [Solved]

I can't help with the other problems.
I kinda figured spaces were syntax sensitive to the config file. I named it save_ext4.dat. I used underscore for the space and added ext4 so I know which storage format I used.

No worries. Thanks for your help though, mate.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#8 by brokenman » 12 Aug 2016, 02:26

Please try to manually create anew save.dat file with your preferred size. Then mount both old and new save.dat file and copy over the files from the old one into the new one. This will confirm if the problem is in the upsize script although it essentially does the same thing.

dd if=/dev/null of=/path/to/new/porteussave.dat bs=1M
mkfs.xfs /path/to/new/porteussave.dat
mkdir /mnt/{old,new}
mount /path/to/old/porteussave.dat /mnt/old
mount /path/to/new/porteussave.dat /mnt/new
cp -a /mnt/old/* /mnt/new
umount /mnt/old
umount /mnt/new
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#9 by FURRY_NOVA » 12 Aug 2016, 03:40

brokenman wrote:Please try to manually create anew save.dat file with your preferred size. Then mount both old and new save.dat file and copy over the files from the old one into the new one. This will confirm if the problem is in the upsize script although it essentially does the same thing.

mkdir /mnt/{old,new}
umount /mnt/old
umount /mnt/new
I think I followed the terminal commands correctly but I think errors occurred in the process. The new dat file now 0kb when I check it.

Here's the c/p of the terminal logs. I ran it in Always Flash mode if that's the correct way. I don't know if mkfs.xfs I'm guessing is mkfs.ext4? That's the format I used for original dat.

Edit: https://justpaste.it/x89x Sorry, forgot to c/p it. It's actually late hours here.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Ed_P » 12 Aug 2016, 05:00

FURRY_NOVA wrote:I kinda figured spaces were syntax sensitive to the config file. I named it save_ext4.dat. I used underscore for the space and added ext4 so I know which storage format I used.
FURRY I was referring to the mp3 file on your desktop not the save.dat file.
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#11 by Bogomips » 12 Aug 2016, 10:13

brokenman wrote:

You need

dd if=/dev/null of=/path/to/new/porteussave.dat bs=1M seek=512
If require 512 MB file. Change accordingl: seek=1024 if need 1GB file, basically whatever the filesystem can spare.
May also need

/sbin/mkfs.xfs  -b 4096 -l internal  /path/to/new/porteussave.dat
Last edited by Bogomips on 12 Aug 2016, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: size clarification
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by FURRY_NOVA » 12 Aug 2016, 15:32

Ed_P wrote:
FURRY_NOVA wrote:I kinda figured spaces were syntax sensitive to the config file. I named it save_ext4.dat. I used underscore for the space and added ext4 so I know which storage format I used.
FURRY I was referring to the mp3 file on your desktop not the save.dat file.
Sorry about that. I got mixed up, mate.
Bogomips wrote:
brokenman wrote:

You need

dd if=/dev/null of=/path/to/new/porteussave.dat bs=1M seek=512
If require 512 MB file. Change accordingl: seek=1024 if need 1GB file, basically whatever the filesystem can spare.
May also need

/sbin/mkfs.xfs  -b 4096 -l internal  /path/to/new/porteussave.dat
I got this error for mkfs.xfs part.

root@porteus:~# /sbin/mkfs.xfs -b 4096 -l internal /mnt/sdb1/porteus/new_save_ext4.dat
unknown option -b 4096

I looked at help tool. I don't know if it's -b log=4096 or -b size=4096.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by Bogomips » 12 Aug 2016, 16:48

FURRY_NOVA wrote: -b size=4096.
Sorry, it's this one. Should have copied and pasted from my script. happens if one just reads it and types it out. :(

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#14 by FURRY_NOVA » 12 Aug 2016, 17:41

Bogomips wrote:
FURRY_NOVA wrote: -b size=4096.
Sorry, it's this one. Should have copied and pasted from my script. happens if one just reads it and types it out. :(
I ran all the terminal commands successfully. Only issue is that the new container didn't contain the saved data like it's a fresh new run. I double checked by creating a text file on desktop and rebooting and it's a new one and doesn't contain saved data from original.

Also, I noticed the old and new mnts still show the folders even after they been unmounted. I don't know if that's normal, after checking commands.

Is old ext4 dat to new xfc dat compatible for the changes to be copied? I noticed doesn't show the clean message during boot on new dat. Maybe that what causing the resize to fail?

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#15 by Bogomips » 12 Aug 2016, 18:06

All these commands have to be carried out as Superuser, just to make sure.

mkdir /mnt/{old,new}
umount /mnt/old
umount /mnt/new
Can you do

du -sh /mnt/old
du -sh /mnt/new
ls  -sh   /path/to/new/porteussave.dat
and post the output here.