Porteus-v3.2rc3 Bug Reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Porteus-v3.2rc3 Bug Reports

Post#31 by Ed_P » 11 Jun 2016, 22:54

brokenman wrote:@Ed_P
lspci command not working in Cinnamon 64 bit like it does in prior releases.
Sorry, but this file is in sbin and as such guest will not have direct access to it. You can create a symlink in /bin if you need it as guest.
guest use to have access to it, without a symlink, and people who have used it in the past will now have to learn it's location. Not saying it can't be done, just that it is something that will need to be done when upgradijng to 3.2. Will there be a 3.2 document listing all the commands that will have this new situation?
And a Boot Device of /mnt/isoloop/ without indicating from which physical device the iso is on is kinda useless. imo
Can you explain why please? From my POV, /mnt/isoloop tells porteus that you booted from an ISO file. After booting, what use does Porteus have knowing where the ISO file resides? More importantly there are certain functions, such as updating modules, that cannot be run after booting from ISO.
"what use does Porteus have knowing where the ISO file resides?"
Well, it helps to support the various apps and scripts that users of previous versions of porteus have which use this location to perform useful functions for the user. I run porteus different machines and on different devices. Not all the machines are partitioned the same way and certainly not the flash drives. Scripts that backup files, restore files, use an Optional directory need to know what device has the necessary directories. And I keep all porteus related files on single drives.

I'm not saying that porteus doen't need to know that it was booted from an ISO, and in prior releases it did. The /mnt/live/mnt/isoloop directory exists in 3.0 the same as 3.2. But 3.0 also indicates the ISO's actual mnt device address. If 3.2 can't maintain compatibility with earlier releases it just makes upgrading harder.

"certain functions, such as updating modules, that cannot be run after booting from ISO."
Now this concerns me. It implies that unless porteus is installed it will become obsolete because the updating will not be creating new modules. This would seem to be contrary to the module concept of porteus. I update porteus, firefox and flash player and others by downloading them or building new modules with USM and putting them in a Modules folder outside the one in the ISO.

If porteus is loosing it's module concept that would be devastating imo.
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#32 by Bogomips » 12 Jun 2016, 01:36

brokenman wrote:@Bogomips
Cannot activate at all in Cinnamon 32 bit using CLI
Sorry for the backwards walk. For now you can take the files from 001-core
/opt/porteus-scripts/{activate,deactivate}
/opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/{xactivate,xdeactivate}

There are files in 003-cinnamon overwriting 001-core. Keep in mind that you may have trouble with menu icons appearing/not appearing after activation. This is what I am trying to overcome in cinnamon.
BTW the extra activations which had to be put in rc.local, all show up in the Cinnamon Menu. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#33 by brokenman » 12 Jun 2016, 02:22

@Ed_P
guest use to have access to it, without a symlink, and people who have used it in the past will now have to learn it's location. Not saying it can't be done, just that it is something that will need to be done when upgradijng to 3.2. Will there be a 3.2 document listing all the commands that will have this new situation?
Do me a favour will you? Download a fresh v3.1 ISO from the server. Unpack 001-core.xzm somewhere and then search through it for lspci. When I do this I find it right there in /sbin, and there are no symlinks. To prevent problems like this you should code for absolute paths.

Well, it helps to support the various apps and scripts that users of previous versions of porteus have which use this location to perform useful functions for the user.
Understood. However, going back will mean rewriting various scripts myself that support updating of Porteus in future versions. So i have to make the decision about who will have to rewrite their scripts. Since I am very short on free time (this will not improve in the short term) then I'm afraid I will have to leave this with you. Sorry. Sometimes I don't see a larger picture until further up the road when I get up onto a hill, or someone points it out.

Now this concerns me. It implies that unless porteus is installed it will become obsolete because the updating will not be creating new modules. This would seem to be contrary to the module concept of porteus.

Updating Porteus modules is contrary to the modular concept of Porteus? I'm afraid I don't follow you there. As per the wishes of users, I released another slackware based version of Porteus. I am trying to future proof Porteus for those that prefer slackware if/when we change base. This will involve creating a slackware-current version in which base modules can be updated. Porteus has always been designed to be installed on removeable media. That's how it was designed from the ground up, as was slax. You can boot from ISO (that's a plus) but if you want to update a base module you will need to remaster your ISO. There is a script that does that for you that has always existed. Nothing has changed there.

@Bogomips
the extra activations which had to be put in rc.local, all show up in the Cinnamon Menu.
I don't understand what you mean. Which extra activations?

There is a quiet mode in activation now. When passing 'activate' you can add the word 'quiet' to the end and there will be no GUI popup.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#34 by Blaze » 12 Jun 2016, 12:07

I checked Cinnamon at Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit and all works very good for me.

Image Image

Image Image

Xorg.0.log from Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 bit

I launched Porteus-v3.2rc3 Cinnamon 64 bit via Oracle VM VirtualBox and everything is fine - Cinnamon is working in Oracle VM VirtualBox, look at this Xorg.0.log
brokenman wrote:Bug report from ramd
Can you please get me the device details?
Model of laptop Acer Aspire One NAV50
Device instance ID: EUCR\UB6250\COMBO_DRIVE
usb 1-5: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
ums_eneub6250 1-5:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Dump about this laptop http://pastebin.ca/3623787
Perhaps it will help to solving this problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/530277
http://www.gentoo.ru/node/22715
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#35 by brokenman » 12 Jun 2016, 21:43

If i choose the MediterraneanDarkest theme the cpu freq is jumping up and down and a cpu usage of ~ 30%, both cores.
I can't reproduce this processor fluctuation under MediterraneanDarkest theme.

@Blaze
For example try to set checkbox at the right side of this site http://www.jquery-az.com/boots/demo.php?ex=4.0_2

They are checking and unchecking fine here. I am using 38.5.2 ESR firefox

@Evan
Shutdown works perfectly , what i meant was when you go to the shutdown option there is a button to "Switch User" that isn't working for me

It seems the 'switch user' button only works with certain login managers. Slim doesn't seem to be in the list.

It didn't work , stayed the same
I tested in cinnamon and it works ok. I can't remember if I ran it as guest or root. I didn't need to logout for it to take effect. Set the size to 100 to be sure.

@Blaze
Are you booting using the nouveau driver?

dram issue:
Thanks for the machine information. It helps.

00:1d.7 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0349]
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci

I may need to activate a setting in the kernel:
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#36 by Jack » 12 Jun 2016, 22:14

Mate rc3 x86_64

I try ePDFViewer and it did work. But I try to use Atril Document Viewer to open a PDF file with no luck, so can someone verify it?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

jamie81
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.2rc

Post#37 by jamie81 » 12 Jun 2016, 23:45

Im still experiencing the problem with "Open in terminal" and "Open as root" not working in Nemo. I tried the command you gave me last time, but it doesnt seem to have worked for the "Open in terminal" as it did last time. I tried fresh without a save file and only the "Open in terminal" command worked. Strange. Any ideas?

I keep experiencing an issue with some folder icons in nemo not reflecting the current theme I have selected. I dont really know if its a bug per se, but it happens from time to time and then fixes itself and im not sure how or why, it is pretty annoying. Heres a screenshot, any ideas? Thanks for the help!

http://i.imgur.com/sDnRSBY.png

edit:As soon as I posted this, I decided to check "preferred applications" inside the system settings gui and noticed the terminal option wasnt set, so I selected the terminal and the "Open in terminal" command is now working again in Nemo. I have no idea why it wasnt selected as im positive it was before. Im still not sure about the "Open as root" though?

edit 2:I found this link with a quick google search in regards to the "Open as root" in Nemo. Possibly will help you nail it down quicker.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=123703.0

northpeter1954
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: mepis

Post#38 by northpeter1954 » 13 Jun 2016, 02:25

I problem resolved, 1 bypassed:
1) if you allow "rootcopy " (omit norootcopy) and have /home/guest (even an empty /home/guest) in your porteus.cfg and use an ntfs or fat32 for your /rootcopy volume (i.e. most thumb drives) then alsa will fail complaining (ONCE) about lock files, thereafter it will noisily complain about mixer elements
suggestion: perhaps rootcopy should give guest ownership to restored /home/guest from a file system not preserving ownership
2) On dual displays
XFCE "always fresh" fails to load "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so" this is good
CINNMON, if it can load "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so", uses the acceleration but the size is wrong, instead of 1280x1024 the accelerator is squashes the display into the left 2/3
3) later CINNAMON may crash
[ 95.704] (EE) Backtrace:
[ 95.712] (EE) 0: /usr/libexec/Xorg (xorg_backtrace+0x41) [0x580ba1]
[ 95.720] (EE) 1: /usr/libexec/Xorg (0x400000+0x184ac9) [0x584ac9]
[ 95.729] (EE) 2: /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f2a2e855000+0x113b0) [0x7f2a2e8663b0]
[ 95.738] (EE)
[ 95.747] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0
4) selecting mirror display or running on a single display runs acceleration correctly; deleting "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so" runs (slowly and jerkily but) correctly

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#39 by brokenman » 13 Jun 2016, 03:24

perhaps rootcopy should give guest ownership to restored /home/guest from a file system not preserving ownership
Thanks. I'll put something in /etc/rc.d/rc.M to set guest home permissions.

@all
I am in xfce4 tonight but will continue to address cinnamon stuff tomorrow.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#40 by Blaze » 13 Jun 2016, 11:02

brokenman wrote:@Blaze
Are you booting using the nouveau driver?
Yes, I used nouveau driver for Linux Mint Cinnamon and for Porteus RC3 Cinnamon by default (without nVidia driver)
Probably, it can to help you or me
@ brokenman.
1. Can you add 'manual mount' function for Nemo (Cinnamon), Caja (Mate) and, perhaps for Thunar (Xfce), Dolphin (KDE)?
Note. If possible, after manual mounting of these partitions - they are not will be displayed at the desktop of these file managers.
^^^Please look at this picture^^^

2. When I used Linux Mint at startup and turn off system I hear amazing sounds.
These sounds will be at /usr/share/mint-artwork-cinnamon/sounds
I'm pack these sounds how example (It's Russian sounds with 'Hello' (Привет) and 'Bye' (Пока)) - you can download it from here
Why our Porteus is silent? Rock it Image
I found a good sounds, but they are not free

Code: Select all

soundsnap.com/multimedia/start_up
soundsnap.com/tags/shut_down
But I think we are can find a good sounds or we will hear the awesome sound of your guitar Image
Sounds of startup and shutdown can be selected here
BTW, these sounds need to be in ogg format. I think this is not a big problem to convert sounds to ogg format :D
Last edited by Blaze on 13 Jun 2016, 20:15, edited 3 times in total.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#41 by Ed_P » 13 Jun 2016, 19:22

Sorry to be so late getting back to you.
brokenman wrote:@Ed_P
Do me a favour will you? Download a fresh v3.1 ISO from the server. Unpack 001-core.xzm somewhere and then search through it for lspci. When I do this I find it right there in /sbin, and there are no symlinks. To prevent problems like this you should code for absolute paths.
So the same bug exists in 3.1!!

Ok I get it, you made a change in 3.1 (and I did test 3.1 and it works the same way) and it's carrying over to 3.2. Not a problem. I don't use lspci that frequently and was only using it to try to find the Boot Device that 3.2 doesn't show now.
Well, it helps to support the various apps and scripts that users of previous versions of porteus have which use this location to perform useful functions for the user.
Understood. However, going back will mean rewriting various scripts myself that support updating of Porteus in future versions. So i have to make the decision about who will have to rewrite their scripts. Since I am very short on free time (this will not improve in the short term) then I'm afraid I will have to leave this with you. Sorry. Sometimes I don't see a larger picture until further up the road when I get up onto a hill, or someone points it out.
Hopefully you're referring to the lspci function, which is not a problem, and not the Boot Device problem. /mnt/isoloop/ indicates the system booted was an ISO file but does not indicate the Device the file was on. And hopefully fixing this does not require you to have to do spend a lot of time on it.
Now this concerns me. It implies that unless porteus is installed it will become obsolete because the updating will not be creating new modules. This would seem to be contrary to the module concept of porteus.
Updating Porteus modules is contrary to the modular concept of Porteus? I'm afraid I don't follow you there. As per the wishes of users, I released another slackware based version of Porteus. I am trying to future proof Porteus for those that prefer slackware if/when we change base. This will involve creating a slackware-current version in which base modules can be updated. Porteus has always been designed to be installed on removeable media. That's how it was designed from the ground up, as was slax. You can boot from ISO (that's a plus) but if you want to update a base module you will need to remaster your ISO. There is a script that does that for you that has always existed. Nothing has changed there.
I am unclear on a couple of things here. You mention base modules, you are referring to the 00x-*.xzm modules in the
porteus/base directory yes? In the past you have released updates to these modules via *-alldesktops.xzm modules which we downloaded. Can that approach not be used for base modules in the future? Can we not create the module updates ourselves? Won't the updates be saved in the save.dat file as part of changes? As you can see, I'm confused.

The other thing is you mentioned a script to remaster the ISO. Is that the IsoMaster app that I have used? Or are you referring to something like you posted here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 897#p36897 ? Again I'm a little confused.
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#42 by Bogomips » 13 Jun 2016, 20:05

Ed_P wrote:the Boot Device problem. /mnt/isoloop/ indicates the system booted was an ISO file but does not indicate the Device the file was on. And hopefully fixing this does not require you to have to do spend a lot of time on it.
In the process of making a fix for it, as it helps for me to also know source of Porteus data. You can test it out , and if it works brolenman could incorporate it, as not so desirable to burden brolenman with trivial fixes.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#43 by brokenman » 13 Jun 2016, 20:14

@Blaze
I don't think we've ever had boot sounds on Porteus. I hate them as if I forget to use a cheatcode it wakes people up at 3am. If majority agree I am happy to add them though.

@Ed_P
The thing is, I didn't make any intentional change to the way 3.2 generates porteus-livedbg. I have written update scripts that use the livedbg file from Porteus rc2 and don't want to hunt through to find and make the changes.

The remaster script is in the porteus folder. It's called make_iso.sh.

Can that approach not be used for base modules in the future? Can we not create the module updates ourselves? Won't the updates be saved in the save.dat file as part of changes? As you can see, I'm confused.
My vision is to have an update function that updates the base modules (001,002). Security patches will be added using the alldesktops method, but new versions of Porteus can either be downloaded or you can simply update. This will minimize work and allow Porteus (slackware) to continue on should it be abandoned in favour of a new base.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#44 by Blaze » 13 Jun 2016, 20:23

brokenman wrote:@Blaze
I don't think we've ever had boot sounds on Porteus. I hate them as if I forget to use a cheatcode it wakes people up at 3am. If majority agree I am happy to add them though.
Hehe, you're right. BTW, I remember that in Slax-Remix there were sounds.
Last edited by Blaze on 14 Jun 2016, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#45 by Bogomips » 14 Jun 2016, 00:39

@Ed_P

Code: Select all

uest@porteus:~$ uname -r
4.6.1-porteus
guest@porteus:~$ uname -m
x86_64

guest@porteus:~$ cat /var/log/porteus-iso-data 
/mnt/sda10/tmp/iso/rc3/x86_64/Porteus-CINNAMON-v3.2rc3-x86_64.iso
md5sum initrd.xz
7e2b5b43a2808e23ad58ad58f6ab4a35 initrd.xz