USM doesn't open folder after downloading file

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Paulon
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3.1 XFCE

USM doesn't open folder after downloading file

Post#1 by Paulon » 20 May 2016, 11:44

Hi! New user here! I'm loving Porteus, but...

I guess I found a bug in USM in Porteus 3.1, 32bits, XFCE. If I download a program using USM, after the download, the folder is not displayed. I have to manualy open Thunar and go to the "temp" folder.
I also found out that if I previoulsy use "SU" in terminal, then, after downloading the file, USM opens Thunar, in root mode. Is this a bug or is it intended to be this way?

Also a sugestion: installing new software in Porteus is a bit strange, in a way, it's almost perfect, but it is also a bit tricky to the newbie user. The "module" aproach is a briliant way to install/unistall software, it should be default in every linux distro.
My sugestion is as follows: after downloading the file and creating the module, USM should ask something like "Do you want to run this new software only in this session or also make it permantly available? (if you have a persistent Porteus instalation)" (in the second option, USM would the copy the file to /porteus/modules, making it smother for newbies to install software)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: USM doesn't open folder after downloading file

Post#2 by brokenman » 20 May 2016, 20:27

I guess I found a bug in USM in Porteus 3.1, 32bits, XFCE. If I download a program using USM, after the download, the folder is not displayed. I have to manualy open Thunar and go to the "temp" folder.
Please try the latest rc2 version since I won't be addressing bugs from v3.1 anymore.
I also found out that if I previoulsy use "SU" in terminal, then, after downloading the file, USM opens Thunar, in root mode. Is this a bug or is it intended to be this way?
It is intended since you will need su rights to do anything with the module you just created.
Also a sugestion: installing new software in Porteus is a bit strange, in a way, it's almost perfect, but it is also a bit tricky to the newbie user. The "module" aproach is a briliant way to install/unistall software, it should be default in every linux distro.
My sugestion is as follows: after downloading the file and creating the module, USM should ask something like "Do you want to run this new software only in this session or also make it permantly available? (if you have a persistent Porteus instalation)" (in the second option, USM would the copy the file to /porteus/modules, making it smother for newbies to install software)
Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea. I will look at implementing it when I get time.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.