[SOLVED] mouse buttons not working on netbook

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: mouse buttons not working on netbook

Post#16 by Hamza » 25 May 2011, 04:28

That's great!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#17 by Ahau » 25 May 2011, 06:30

Damnit....

proto=auto is the default in V1.0 because it fixes touchpads on some hardware (mine and fanthom's at least), but proto=imps is needed for other hardware!

Well, I can surely document this in the FAQ or tips and tricks, but it seems like xconf or some other script at startup ought to be able to help us out here... :(

Thanks, rnport, for continuing to work through this!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#18 by Hamza » 25 May 2011, 08:15

I can write a script to detect the hardware and exec the command if the hardware is detected.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#19 by brokenman » 25 May 2011, 14:01

Yes Hamza, a script could be written ... but here is the history and the problem.

After slackware 13.0 my laptop touchpad scroll stopped working. It was not enough to edit psmouse and xorg.conf anymore as a different method was used for configuring mice (mouses). Ahau found that proto=auto solved this problem. I thought this problem was specific to the synaptic driver but now we have rnport reporting that proto=auto doesn't work for him. This means for some models of computer, proto=auto is needed, and for others proto=imps is required. We have no way of knowing which models require what at this stage.

Earlier on i suggested a 'hardware checking' menu item that would allow people to check different hardware features and modify the settings. The 'system' menu is beginning to get a little lengthy. Perhaps we could merge a couple of the functions there into one tool. The Porteus Tweaker or hardware checker. I'd like to also see the power saver check for an X session and have GUI if X exists.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#20 by Ahau » 25 May 2011, 14:50

Just to help save some information here for future use, here's a link I found with a little more info on psmouse proto options:

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Unix/ ... nKVM.shtml

This isn't really specific to what we're doing but it gives a little explanation of some of the options, and I'm having some trouble turning up a lot of specific information on this. Anyway, here are some of the options:

proto=auto
proto=bare
proto=imps
proto=exps
(Using exps instead of imps has advantages when you like to use your thumb buttons)
proto=raw
proto=base

resetafter=10 (restarts the driver after 10 bad packets)

proto=bare seems like it may serve well for testing when folks have issues -- I'll check to see if it gets just the touch pad and mouse buttons working (no scrolling, etc.). It's supposed to strip it down to a basic mouse.

Obviously, I'm no expert at this, but it would seem that proto=auto is working on most systems (since this is the first piece of hardware of which we are aware that doesn't function properly with it), and it must be autoconfiguring the setting to one of the options above (or some option that is available that I haven't found yet). It sounds almost like there is a problem specific to this hardware that is fooling the driver into thinking it should have the wrong setting. Maybe the hardware support just needs to mature in the kernel.

If anyone is experiencing similar problems with their hardware, please, PLEASE post about it so that we can resolve this more effectively.

rnport, when you have time, please try loading these other options then testing your mouse, and let us know which ones work normally, which don't work at all, and especially tell us if any of them repeat the exact behavior you were having with proto=auto:

rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=bare
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=exps
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=raw
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=base
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=any
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=synaptics
I'm not sure if this last one is a valid option or not...

EDIT:

I went trawling through the driver code (psmouse-base.c: http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/dr ... use-base.c), and if I'm reading it correctly, these are available options as well:

bare
logitech
thinkps
genius
imps
exps
synaptics
alps
lifebook
trackpoint
touchkit
hgpk
elantech
fsp
cortps
any (any might be the more correct way to call 'auto', though I think it triggers the same series of events to test the hardware for the correct configuration)

Again, I'm leaving these here for future reference, and will test some of them (especially 'any', 'exps' and 'synaptics' on my machine).

EDIT#2:

well, proto=base, raw, and synaptics all came up as invalid arguments, so I guess I misread the driver source, and some of those are not valid.

proto=bare, exps, and imps all work fine with my touchpad and buttons, but don't work with scrolling on the touchpad.

proto=any and proto=auto work perfect, and include touchpad scrolling.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#21 by rnport » 29 May 2011, 10:29

On my netbook (HPmini):
bare, imps and exps work all right;
raw and base report "invalid argument".
Mousepad scrolling with 2 finger does not work with any of these (it works in win7). Edge scrolling (right side or bottom) does not work either (it also does'nt work with win7).

swissmaestro
Ronin
Ronin

Re: [SOLVED] mouse buttons not working on netbook

Post#22 by swissmaestro » 23 Aug 2012, 06:41

I am sorry to be a pain. Scrolling is not working on my laptop (Sony Y series).

Where do I make the change proto=auto?

It is not very clear to me.

Thanks for your patience.

Posted after 1 day 2 hours 15 minutes 59 seconds:
@fanthom has already helped me out with this mouse scrolling problem. "imps" worked for me (not "auto"). Thanks!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: [SOLVED] mouse buttons not working on netbook

Post#23 by brokenman » 24 Aug 2012, 13:16

My setup is to use proto=auto and after OS loads i run: synclient TapButton2=3

This activates the right mouse click when i tap the touchpad with two fingers. You can also have the right click appear when you tap the top/bottom corner of the touchpad if you prefer.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.