[SOLVED] mouse buttons not working on netbook

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

[SOLVED] mouse buttons not working on netbook

Post#1 by rnport » 19 May 2011, 05:38

The mouse buttons of HP-mini netbook are not working in v1rc1 while they work quite alright with v09. Can this problem be corrected ?

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: mouse buttons not working on netbook

Post#2 by Ahau » 19 May 2011, 12:15

Could you give us some more info on this? When you boot up into KDE (as root), press Cntrl+T to get a console, then type 'psinfo' to generate a log file. You can then copy that file to somewhere you can get to it from V09 (or RC1 on another computer). cp /root/Desktop/psinfo.txt /mnt/sdb1/psinfo.txt.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by rnport » 20 May 2011, 01:04

Do I put the whole file in these replies (its quite large)? Or do you need any particular portion which I can cut and paste here.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#4 by Ahau » 20 May 2011, 01:49

Put the whole thing on pastebin.com, and put a link here :)

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by rnport » 20 May 2011, 06:33

Following is the link: http://pastebin.com/KrbrGznx

I removed all modules and save.dat and rootcopy items.
With such booting of porteus-v1rc1, left mouse button clicks and double-clicks OK but DOES NOT DRAG WINDOWS;
Right mouse button does not work at all.
Both buttons work very well in porteus-v09.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#6 by Ahau » 20 May 2011, 13:05

that's strange... I was looking for the output of lspci and lsmod. lspci (and lsusb) seem to have the wrong path in the script for psinfo, and lsmod isn't there. Please add the output of lspci, lsmod, cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep -i mouse. What's the model of your netbook?

I'll be honest with you, I'm probably not capable of solving this problem for you, but I want to help you get more info in this thread so someone that has more experience with hardware issues can give you a hand.

You might try (from Always Fresh mode, so this change isn't saved):

rmmod psmouse
modprobe psmouse proto=imps

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by rnport » 20 May 2011, 16:56

The netbook is HP mini. I will get output of these commands and post them here.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#8 by brokenman » 21 May 2011, 18:49

This is no doubt a synaptics driver issue. You can use synclient to adjust the mouse settings from a terminal. Look for the TapButton option and a little googling should help you resolve it. I don't use my click buttons anymore ... i use a startup script that sets the touchpad to have left and right clicks in the top corners of the touchpad.

synclient TapButton3=3 RTCornerButton=3
synclient FingerHigh=42

The first line sets the right mouse click to top right section of touchpad. The second line makes the touchpad a little less sensitive so it doesn't react if i accidentally touch it with my palm while typing.

Open a console and type 'synclient'

PS: Please read the FAQ for posting bug reports.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#9 by rnport » 22 May 2011, 12:52

@brokenman:
I will try this. Can you also drag windows (holding left mouse button down and dragging the cursor) with your method ?

Posted after 11 hours 35 minutes 2 seconds:
@ahau:
The output of lspci, lsmod, 'cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep -i mouse' and 'cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf' is at http://pastebin.com/d1S43NmR

crashman
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by crashman » 22 May 2011, 20:34

@rnport

You will try back to v09 run with 'xconf' cheatcode method and copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to hard drive partition.
Run now v1rc1 with 'text' cheatcode if you login press 'mc' find 'xorg.conf' file from hdd and copy to /etc/X11 directory, leave 'mc' and press 'startx' now.Please raport on to forum if your mouse buttons work or not work.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#11 by rnport » 23 May 2011, 00:47

So I replace 'autoexec=xconf;telinit~4' with 'autoexec=text'. Do I need to include 'telinit-4' or remove it?

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#12 by Ahau » 23 May 2011, 01:28

remove all of this: autoexec=xconf; telinit 4

Xconf sets up your xorg.conf, which you don't need because you are copying the configuration from V09. Telinit 4 sends you to KDE via the script /etx/rc.d/rc.4. After copying the xorg.conf from the command line, startx is the command to start KDE.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#13 by rnport » 23 May 2011, 02:08

I just tested with cheatcode: 'autoexec=text;telinit~4' and copied v09 xorg.conf from hard disk to /etc/X11/ in v1rc1 and started 'startx' ;
No benefit: same state of affairs: left mouse button clicks to select and double clicks to open but dragging is not possible. Right button acts like left button only; no menu pops up.

I am now routinely using v09 on my netbook. It is much better than v1rc1 for netbook. You may want to try this on other netbooks. I have a feeling that kde 3.5 is (as of now) better than trinity, since trinity has just started and will take some time to remove all its bugs.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#14 by brokenman » 24 May 2011, 13:57

since trinity has just started and will take some time to remove all its bugs.
Trinity simply picked up where KDE-3.5.10 stopped developing. Trinity is KDE-3.5.12

Have you tried the following options:

1)
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=auto
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse proto=imps

2)
Adjusting the TapButton option with 'synclient'?

Netbooks are now very popular and i would like to see this problem resolved for v1.0
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#15 by rnport » 25 May 2011, 02:19

Sorry, I have been somewhat busy. I will try it out tomorrow morning and let you know. But frankly, I do not like tapbutton option, especially since dragging will still not be possible and also given the fact that mouse buttons are working all right in v09. Picking up all available hardware (incl mouse buttons) is very important. I am sure you already have this in mind.

Posted after 7 hours 48 minutes 34 seconds:
@brokenman: The problem is solved! I tried first command (rmmod............proto=auto). It had no effect. But the second command (rmmod...............proto=imps) worked perfectly and both mouse buttons are now working well. However, I had removed all modules, rootcopy and changes.dat for this, but I am sure even with changes also this command should work. I did not need to try synclient.

I hope you will find someway that netbook users do not need to add this command in the final version of porteus; it should come automatically.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work. I am very keen to see a perfect porteus.