XFCe 3.1 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

XFCe 3.1 bug reports

Post#1 by Rava » 04 Mar 2015, 03:53

Bugs that only apply to 3.1 XFCe version of Porteus go in here.

Bug:
Seems, "Find Files and Directories" aka PFilesearch is no longer connected with Thunar. At least it no longer is to be found in Thunar's context menu (right mouse click menu) when clicking on a folder:
See? No link to PFilesearch... :(

I get the link to /x by using this snippet in my /etc/rc.local: :)

Code: Select all

export PORTEUSDEV=`awk 'c-->0;/Booting device:/{c=1}' /mnt/live/var/log/livedbg`
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: XFCe 3.1 bug reports

Post#2 by brokenman » 06 Mar 2015, 01:55

I wouldn't call this a bug. It is just that this application was not included in XFCE on Porteus. Is it a puppy linux app?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Rava » 08 Mar 2015, 14:10

brokenman wrote:I wouldn't call this a bug. It is just that this application was not included in XFCE on Porteus. Is it a puppy linux app?
Yes, it's from Puppy Linux, but it was used with context menu in Thunar in previous versions of XFe Porteus, so me thinks the inclusion just misses some crucial setup for 3.1...

Me thinks it was chosen as search for XFCe because it being small resource-friendly)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 10 Mar 2015, 01:49

Ok thanks. If you can create a module from this puppy app I can push it in an update if needed.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 14 Apr 2015, 17:06

brokenman wrote:Ok thanks. If you can create a module from this puppy app I can push it in an update if needed.
Well, it is still part of 3.1 Porteus, just the Thunar connection is missing and I have no idea where that is needed to be put in. I could look into older version of Porteus, like 3.0, but I need a hint which xfce file is to be edited...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 15 Apr 2015, 02:13

Ok I got it. Open thunar and select "Edit/Configure custom actions" then you can add an action for 'pfilesearch'. There are a few files that are created. The best thing to do is to leave Porteus for 1 minute with no action. Then make your changes. Then run from a root console: changes-time to see which files were modified when you made your changes.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 15 Apr 2015, 03:58

^
thanks, do I need to use any of the named parameters, like %f %F %d %D %n %N ?

And since I use no changes directory and run Port in "always fresh", would changes-time really work as it should?

When searching for changes, I usually go to /mnt/live/memory/changes and run something like find . -mtime 0 2>/dev/null | xargs ls -loa --color=auto --time-style=long-iso 2>&1 |grep "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM" with the date/time set to recent numerals, of course. :)

//Update
I tried creating it with %f /and &d, but to no prevail. pfilesearch always starts up with a search in "/", and not, as in older Port versions, from the recent directory or up, as it should be...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 15 Apr 2015, 14:24

changes-time works much the same way that you are doing manually except it packages up all the files from the live system for you.

I just added a custom action with the action: pfilesearch -d . <----- there is a dot here

It appeared to begin the search from the current directory. It found my test file in a subdirectory. In fact it opens the universal pfilesearch so you can edit any paths you want.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Rava » 15 Apr 2015, 21:21

Indeed, the needed command is pfilesearch -d %f, and the setting is saved in ~/.config/Thunar/uca.xml
Cheers!
Yours Rava

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#10 by tome » 17 Apr 2015, 18:01

or pfilesearch -d %d
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Rava » 28 Apr 2015, 00:36

tome wrote:or pfilesearch -d %d
That would result in a wrong start folder for the search.

You have told Thunar and so pfilesearch to use that custom command when a folder is highlighted.

If you tell Thunar to start that custom command and use -d %d instead of -d %f, it would start searching in the base folder of what you selected:

Like, you select /usr/local/bin, and click on right-mouse-menu "File Search", it would search in /usr/local

To have it search what you asked it for (/usr/local/bin), you need to use -d %f ...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Seva
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: XFCE Porteus Desktop 3.1 64bit

Post#12 by Seva » 20 Jun 2015, 01:06

i dont know if this is DE related

when i try to reboot the pc with the DE restart button (logout - restart) or with the reboot command in terminal (as root), sometimes the pc reboots, and sometimes shuts down without restarting or even continue to be powered while screen turns off. This is random, but more often than not the reboot does not succeed. When i do shutdown, everything is good every time, no problems. Problems are only when i try to reboot the pc from porteus XFCE.
posted from Porteus

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by Rava » 24 Jun 2015, 04:37

Seva wrote:sometimes the pc reboots, and sometimes shuts down without restarting or even continue to be powered while screen turns off. This is random, but more often than not the reboot does not succeed.
Do you have another machine to test the exact same porteus on, especially if you run it with changes saved or with custom settings in an extra module?

Could you post the last, say, 30 lines of /var/log/messages of when restart ends in the PC running but not powering off and not restarting and screen being turned off?
And also the last 30 lines of when the PC shuts down instead of restarting?

(I don't know if /var/log/messages get saved by Porteus when saving changes, put you can tail -f /var/log/messages > /mnt/your-mounted-and-writable-partition, e.g. to /mnt/sda1/tmp/var_log_messages if the folder /tmp exists on your mounted device sda1, that is...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#14 by donald » 24 Jun 2015, 14:38

Hi Rava
I previously thought that this behavior was related to my old Hw...does not seem to be as.
What I can confirm:
(at random)
reboot > porteus goes down, the PC continue to be powered on while screen turns off > doesn't restart until I press the reset button.
nothing special in /var/log/messages
(3.1-xfce 32bit)

btw
it's just to confirm
I use 2.0 (for various reasons)

Seva
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: XFCE Porteus Desktop 3.1 64bit

Post#15 by Seva » 25 Jun 2015, 03:47

@Rava

i switched to KDE and now there is no problem with reboot, so i think it was something to do with xfce, cant give any logs cos im not on xfce now, switching to kde fixed this problem
posted from Porteus