User name changed - no restart shutdown, suspend, hibernate

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

User name changed - no restart shutdown, suspend, hibernate

Post#1 by Rava » 05 Jan 2015, 01:03

Like with every new Port version, I tweak it to be not just guest at my PC, but "rava".

I now can no longer shutdown, suspend, hibernate or restart the PC via the XFCe menu.

I changed all "guest" entries in /etc/group to "rava".
Do I have to make similar changes in different files as well? I googled the issue and only found info about changing /etc/group
Last edited by Rava on 05 Jan 2015, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: User name changed - no restrtm shutdown, suspend, hibern

Post#2 by francois » 05 Jan 2015, 03:53

xfce panel menu > right click > panel > add new items > action buttons (in my case it calls it root, I work in root mode)

Will add a button with these functions on your panel.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Re: User name changed - no restart shutdown, suspend, hibern

Post#3 by Rava » 05 Jan 2015, 04:45

The entry is there, at the right bottom of the main panel menu aka Whisker menu:
But it is to no prevail:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#4 by beny » 05 Jan 2015, 09:30

hi, rava you have your user in power group? and i have found also seem you need to remove Try removing "--with-ck-launch" from .xinitrc. Log out and log back in.but if you have a xinitrc that point to xfce4,

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 05 Jan 2015, 22:47

beny wrote:hi, rava you have your user in power group? and i have found also seem you need to remove Try removing "--with-ck-launch" from .xinitrc. Log out and log back in.but if you have a xinitrc that point to xfce4,
I searched for "guest" in all files and subfolders in /etc and in /home/guest (my home dir that the running system uses is, of course, /home/rava) and only found the /etc/group entries I all changed from guest to rava.

I found no "guest" in /home, and so not found the "--with-ck-launch" in .xinitrc.
I try that and give you the heads up when I restarted X on one of my (currently 2) PCs with Ports running 3.1-x86-64. :friends:

(They are the only PCs x86-64 capable that I currently use, the other is the i486 Samsung sub notebook, I think about switching to a puppy varian since it is not powerful enough for Port, not the way I use Palemoon and whatnot. :D
Cheers!
Yours Rava

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by beny » 06 Jan 2015, 12:40

hi rava i have formatted a key and put in porteus xfce with guest account i have all the power control button on my desktop,if you remove guest entry but you have to start with a new user named rava so maybe you have to add user named rava and remove guest user,ok seem like a gibberish,have sense for you?

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 06 Jan 2015, 14:08

beny wrote:hi rava i have formatted a key and put in porteus xfce with guest account i have all the power control button on my desktop,if you remove guest entry but you have to start with a new user named rava so maybe you have to add user named rava and remove guest user,ok seem like a gibberish,have sense for you?
Sounds a bit glibberish for me indeed. What do you mean with "I have formatted a key".

Me thinks it is some security key thingy? That some part looks for credentials that are only valid for "guest" and have to be created (by root me thinks) for any other user who should get the rights?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#8 by beny » 06 Jan 2015, 14:20

hi rava, my usb system not have aufs so it is a bit different so i have formatted a key with ext4 and put in porteus xfce4,now with the guest account work everything my goal it is remove guest account and build another one and see if the power section work or not with the new one, my system is like your x64

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#9 by beny » 07 Jan 2015, 10:32

hi rava, a report here: i have add a new user,link it to the group where guest exist,delete the guest account with deluser, now with the first option in boot loader, gui option ,i have to log in inside the desktop environment as user and i have all the power option on when i log out,but if i use the txt mode log in no way, the song remain the same no power option to the user only log out. fanthom can answer better that me why in init 4 logged as user it is possible to manage power option and in txt mode not.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#10 by tome » 07 Jan 2015, 17:38

i have all the power option on when i log out
Have you tried these options? You don't need root password for reboot, shutdown?
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#11 by beny » 07 Jan 2015, 17:47

if i use the gui option i have the log in inside the booted system so i put in my user and password and yes i have all the power option.i think is related with the boot desktop manager i have removed guest account but at init4 the log in is make from guest so the password inside the DE
Last edited by beny on 07 Jan 2015, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#12 by beny » 07 Jan 2015, 18:02

i think fanthom can answer but at init 3 txt mode with the same account power option are out,at init 4 i can do with the same account reset poweroff and so on.
Last edited by beny on 07 Jan 2015, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#13 by tome » 07 Jan 2015, 18:03

but what happen when you click reboot or shutdown? Be me nothing - only password prompt (test for new user)
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#14 by beny » 07 Jan 2015, 18:04

wait a moment i log out and reboot in gui option

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#15 by beny » 07 Jan 2015, 18:13

i can confirm you with my user named remo i have suspended and rebooted so i think fanthom can explain us how tweak the alias of guest account removed.the init4 boot option,