[SOLVED] Can't press yes or no for saved data creation etc

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
bong
White ninja
White ninja

[SOLVED] Can't press yes or no for saved data creation etc

Post#1 by bong » 17 Apr 2011, 10:13

Systems 1) Asrock a330ion 2.1ghz oc'ed atom dualcore 330 with nvidia ion first gen
4gb ddr3 (2 sticks of 2gb ddr3 1333mhz)
1tb hdisk, usb keyboard and mouse
2) Foxconn Netbox 330i atom dualcore 1.6ghz with nvidia ion
2gb sodimm ddr2 single stick
500gb hdisk mobile, wireless keyboard and mouse

On using 64bit porteus:
After the first option is selected for kde and configure for best graphics etc
it starts then before anything else asks me if i want to press/select yes or no for saved data creation.
Problem is i keep pressing yes or no like crazy on the usb keyboard and the program cant detect my keypresses.
Its like the usb driver hasnt been loaded yet.

Luckily the 2nd system a foxconn netbox had a stange sleep button on its front panel which i mistook for a reset button.
for whatever reason the program detected this sleep button as a keyboard press for no, dont create saved data.
So it continued booting till i got to the desktop.

Ahmm id like to make a suggestion, even kde on opensuse and linuxmint kde etc allowed right clicking on the k menu and selecting classic menu. I know the developers are trying to keep everything undersized but give us the option to choose classic menu over the sliding menu, it cant be that big in bytes.

I can see why kde4 can be slow if your only using the nouveau drivers. Ive tried using the proprietary nvidia drivers however inspite of using nomodeset, nouveau.modeset=0 etc the nouvea and proprietary nvidia drivers seem to be getting in each other's way and not just porteus but other linuxes ive tried.
Can you give us an option for a base module to use that has no noveau drivers so we can install the proprietary nvidia drivers?

So in summary
BUG
1) Bug prevents program from detecting keyboard presses when it prompts for saved data creation. its like the usb drivers hasnt been loaded yet.

suggestions:
1) Please allow selection of classic k menu or new sliding k menu.
2) Selection of a base module that contains no nouveau drivers so as to avoid conflicts with proprietary nvidia drivers.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Bugs: Can't press yes or no for saved data creation etc

Post#2 by fanthom » 17 Apr 2011, 16:22

hi bong,

1) will compile drivers for usb keyboards into kernel - thanks for reminding me about this
2) classic k menu is there - just "unlock widgets" first and then right mouse click on Kmenu to switch to classic
3) to compile nvidia binary driver you need to start Porteus with 'nomodeset' cheatcode in text mode and not GUI. when you go to GUI then nouveau is activated automatically despite of 'nomodeset' cheatcode.
btw - nvidia binary is ready in the official repo:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/testing/ ... x86_64.xzm

thanks for bug report
(next time please post bug reports for rc versions in Development section thread)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

bong
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by bong » 17 Apr 2011, 22:46

oh im sorry i didnt exactly know where to put this.. maybe you can please move all of this, to over at the development section thread?

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by Hamza » 18 Apr 2011, 08:00

oh im sorry i didnt exactly know where to put this.. maybe you can please move all of this, to over at the development section thread?
Normally , all bugs about an unstable release (Alpha,Beta,Gamma,RC) must be reported in the thread of the unstable version , normally in Development Section.
NjVFQzY2Rg==