Warnings in Firefox - Flash vulnerable. Adobe FLASH blocked

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Warnings in Firefox - Flash vulnerable. Adobe FLASH bloc

Post#16 by fanthom » 14 Dec 2014, 11:13

something is not ok. changelogs for salix/slacky mentions 425 already:
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... ngeLog.txt
http://download.salixos.org/i486/14.1/ChangeLog.txt

but USM finds only 424 for them (alien is ok):

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# usm -g flash

The following items were found.
 Choose an number to confirm. 
 ctrl+c to quit

1) flash-player-plugin-11.2.202.359-i386-1sl.txz
2) flash-player-plugin-11.2.202.424-i386-1sl.txz
3) flash-plugin-11.2.202.424-i686-1gv.txz
4) flashplayer-plugin-11.2.202.425-i386-1alien.txz
#? 
is this upstream or our fault?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: LXDE3.5Manjaro, LXDE3.01-32bit

Post#17 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 11:18

@Brokenman @fanthom
Hehe, a bit Mozillamess + The normal adobe non security coding, nothing good can come out of this? ;-)

it is even worse than you think, I found more info, wait Im Looking for the link now, BRB..

[edit]
Error in Timestamp for som .dat might be involved also
Yes Upstream , mostly, many levels of problems in the mess.
but we might not handle the updates correct?

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#18 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 11:28

LOOK HERE
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110979

[edit]
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 109795#c18 Timestamp problem also..?

But the reason Why the old flash still are flagged as ok, but blocked, that I dont know.
(Before we try any updating)
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

- - - - - - -
[edit2]

..Just Like this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p796
Mozilla says about ".425" , that one is blocked,

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
..and ALSO ok to go!,
mixed messages
to the users, at the same time :good:

" Check Your Plugins
Keeping your plugins up to date helps Firefox run safely and smoothly. Plugin Status
Step 1: Click Update to update a plugin.
Step 2: Complete all recommended updates before restarting your browser.

These plugins are up to date Plugin Status Action
Shockwave FlashShockwave Flash 11.2 r202 Up to Date
11.2.202.424 Up to Date"
Last edited by ElectriQT on 14 Dec 2014, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#19 by brokenman » 14 Dec 2014, 13:19

is this upstream or our fault?
This fault is mine. Sorry. Working on having the USM database automatically update. It updated alien but not salix. Fixing now.
EDIT:
Updated USM database again to catch salix and slacky flash-plugins

The fault of mixed messages on the mozilla check sites is anyone's guess. It would probably be good to respin firefox with the .425 plugin as .424 has most certainly been blacklisted due to a critical bug.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#20 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 19:10

Yes,
After reading the Bugzilla comments about the mess it creates I vote for the "respin" ASAP of the browser modules , but also the current V3.1 desktop-ISO:s in dl.porteus.org , so that we dont get even more confused later,, when people say that they DO have v3.1, where one guy will get the problem(desktop iso) and the next one(from isoconfigurator or a downloaded browsermodule) dont have the problem at all..

Name? 3.11 ? Hehe :-)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#21 by fanthom » 14 Dec 2014, 19:33

04-firefox.xzm and ISOs are updated now (keeping same version as before).

@ElectriQT
thanks for reporting and helping us with this bug
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#22 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 19:47

@brokenman
Now i see the new .425 in usm, when searching for "flash" in "Package"

but do you know why usm say that this new version already are installed here?
(As I have not yet.., I still have the standard (first release) of Porteus v3.1 Flashplayer, the blocked .424 installed here, is that a normal behavior?)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 by brokenman » 14 Dec 2014, 19:53

Confirmed. At a guess I would say the code block in USM that sniffs the versions struggles with the format of this file name. I will check it out. Thanks.

EDIT: Actually not so lucky. I haven't yet coded the version check. It merely says installed if the package is present (regardless of version) and not installed if the package does not exist on the system. Added to my TODO list.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#24 by brokenman » 14 Dec 2014, 20:14

Updating opera now. Also copied firefox module into current/modules folder. md5sum will be different for the next 10 minutes until I update the file.

EDIT: done

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#25 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 20:26

@fanthom

OK, Great! I think this was a smart move now.

"Report",
no problem,
and,, Well, thank YOU guys for doing all this hard work, I love the dist as a replacement for windows XP. I use it every day now.

There is work still to do of course, but so far LXDE 3.01 on different Lenovos 4-7 years old feels like *the best* stability and "overall".
Simply THE best of all the Linux systems I have tested but got several technical and performance-issues with, that includes Ubuntu, Mint, #!, Puppys of debian/slacko, and Debian itself..

Porteus 3.01 LXDE 32bit was the best for me last month, I had over 30 days uptime with a lot off overload-testing, sometimes 500+ tabs in firefox, Office and other applications +Zram and no disk.. so Im a bit sad it is not continued.

Yes the new XFCE in V3.1 seems ok to on this computer (hp 6715b), but I got some memoryleeks and almost total crach several time now, almost 99% sure my Firefox should take to blame for this.

Maybe it will be better when I make a new one with 20% Zram (I have 2GB RAM) so the Linux OOMemory routine dont go in and prefere to kill my running system..prio to kill the system over some ads in a webpage. :roll:

Another issue in XFCE(on this hp, maybe/probably the same with other desktops) is a total brutal hang if I touch the wifi-button 2 times.. It will disconnect fine, but at reconect it is always a total hang, 101% cpu. Nothing helps, not even sysreq REISUB work then , a hard power off is the only way to get the computer back. Maybe I will open it up and remove that button from the computer.. Hehe,

I just wish I could contribute with the actual work also, not just "complaining" at bugs

BTW, the screenshot button we talked about some days before, that button work in the XFCE, so the "mapping" might be solved? By someone. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#26 by brokenman » 14 Dec 2014, 20:32

Perhaps you can check out the community development section. There are at least two users maintaining lxde there. In regards to the screenshot button in XFCE, nothing was changed. The PRTSC button has always worked for me.

The wifi button will be a hard one to troubleshoot. I have a wifi key but it doesn't hang the system. If you get any info on it please let me know.

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#27 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 20:57

brokenman wrote:Confirmed. At a guess I would say the code block in USM that sniffs the versions struggles with the format of this file name. I will check it out. Thanks.

EDIT: Actually not so lucky. I haven't yet coded the version check. It merely says installed if the package is present (regardless of version) and not installed if the package does not exist on the system. Added to my TODO list.

OK, that was fast also :-)
Yes, this was my final thougts and the reason for my "report", and Im glad that you could confirm that in your edit,

I also think That it is Ok for now, when "we" know the facts of how it works, then this is not a big problem, right?

is it possible to add some tooltip-help, info-texts, notes on or similar in usm to get less confused new users that dont yet know things?
(or if I could decide, then I also like a button on the tools pages, for *short* help-videos to see/hear someone actually do the stuff in a fresh system, so we can learn and follow )

But ToolTip, or textfields of hints of how to use it for updates and so on. Is that a good idea?
I still have some other firsttimer-issues in USM, but we can take them in another discussion.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#28 by brokenman » 15 Dec 2014, 14:58

I have added a more descriptive package status which will be pushed in the next release. installed,upgrade,downgrade
I can certainly make some videos of how to use the application and add a help button.

Xnaut
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: LXDE

Post#29 by Xnaut » 20 Dec 2014, 18:00

There is actually a new version of Flash: 11.2.202.425

Easy manual fix with Terminal command. I tried updating the LXDE version I have from 3.0 to 3.1 from settings centre as you guys were talking about but it says it's already updated, and USM is the same story, right? and here I am, a sitting ducking in a frozen pond in the middle of freezing ducking December. Firefox ain't working, the brownies are on fire, and the smoke alarm is going off with Barney barking up all over the damn place.

Ok so here's what I did:

-After checking in on this forum post and failing to solve the problem, I googled "Porteus update flash player"
- I found a post back in '11 by "ariszlo" from Hungary on Porteus forums and he wrote how to manually update flash on porteus using:

tar -C /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -xzf Downloads/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz (in LXTerminal)

- I tried doing that and realized the version of mine was 11 so I changed the number to 11, and it didn't work: unrecoverable error
- Then I realized that it was the name of the package I just downloaded I had to type in after Downloads/

tar -C /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -xzf Downloads/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz

- Tried it again, it runs and says error ERROR nuclear meltdown! Directory not found, unrecoverable error! :shock:
- I walk away from the problem for about half an hour cause I've never programmed before on a Linux OS and messing around with the terminal made me think.
- Then I get an idea since I was always a Windows boy using Windex a lot to clean up all the grime it accumulated over the years. I try looking for some sort of Program Files folder in Porteus with no results. I think to myself "man there has got to be some way I can see where the flash player is installed."
-So I turn on Firefox and hit the little blue question mark button on the bottom in the menu, where I sometimes manually check for updates. I see a "Troubleshooting Information" button and I click, after that I look at the info spreadsheet and see what seems to me as the golden ticket to the wonka factory. There is a plugin button(about:plugins) there, sitting just for me to stab at it and I do. BOOM! I find the directory for flash player sitting right in the smack dab middle of the screen:

Path: /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

- Now I realize that I have the directory and type it in on LXTerminal:

tar -C /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins -xzf Downloads/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz

-I get an error that root permission is required, so I go from my guest to my root account, since I'm running Porteus from a USB schtick.
- I type in that command again in root, and it doesn't say anything, so I'm wondering whether it worked. I go on Firefox, and sure enough it says in plugins that I have the .425 new version. CHA CHING! I also saw that the old version was not showing up in the about:plugins screen anymore so I guess the new version either overwrote the old flash or just deleted it. I couldn't believe I solved something like this, it feels awesome! :D

Anyways, cheers everybody and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

P.S. The easiest way to get the new flash package is to go to addons in Firefox, then to plugins, and click the little link right above the plugin list, that says "Check to see if your plugins are up to date," after that it'll say something that the old version you have is up to date which is a damn lie, so click the "up to date" button right under the action title, and it should take you to the correct download page. Choose the .tar.gz version under the sub-menu for "other Linux" which is basically compatible with Porteus. After that just try the method described above.

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#30 by ElectriQT » 06 Feb 2015, 14:12

BAD PLAYA , again...
2015 FEB 06
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ + A new block of the "old" flash version ..440 at some sites.

Today the USM works and we can download the latest player from "alien" (if I first uncheck the "resolve dependencies" we will not get the "missing LIBS.TXT" fatal error)

the latest (today..) 32bit version was:
flashplayer-plugin-11.2.202.442-i386-1alien.xzm

After a change to this new module in to my modules folder
, then right click to "Activate" it in live system
+ we did a check on Adobes site that says it worked, .442, And Youtube shows it also works ok IRL.. :-)