Fresh Porteus is broken!

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
mekkanizer
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: CrunchBang

Fresh Porteus is broken!

Post#1 by mekkanizer » 09 Dec 2014, 11:28

I've been using this nice distro for a year, and today's news are mourning for me :(
Why would you get rid of LXDE?
Why would you break good old initialization process? It now stops with a message

Code: Select all

Starting vmlinuz
Using load options 'initrd=boot\syslinux\initrd.xz'
Invalid loader file!
Error: Not Found while loading vmlinuz
I am disappointed and I hope you fix this (just rollback to the OK state?) ASAP.
Thanks in advance

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Fresh Porteus is broken!

Post#2 by brokenman » 09 Dec 2014, 12:12

Why would you get rid of LXDE?
We have discussed this at length on the forum. The final decision is that LXDE development will be abandoned because it merged with RazorQT to create the LXQt desktop. Since we look to the future we have decided to go with this. It is not US that got rid of LXDE but rather the developers. If you want to stick with LXDE please download the 3.0.1 module from the archive section on our server and replace your desktop module in the base folder with it.
Why would you break good old initialization process?
Are you using a UEFI system? If so please wait a little until the kernel can be corrected. We are waiting for some news about an unrelated kernel problem being fixed, at which time the kernel will be updated and UEFI will wok again. Sorry about that. In the meantime you can take vmlinuz and 000-kernel.xzm from the v3.0.1 version and replace the files in the current version.

Thanks for the feedback.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

mekkanizer
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: CrunchBang

Re: Fresh Porteus is broken!

Post#3 by mekkanizer » 09 Dec 2014, 12:38

Wow, LXDE got abandoned :o Sad news for me.
Yes, I am currently having troubles with booting USB drives in Legacy mode, so I have no other choice but UEFI mode.
Thank you very much for the link to the server with archives, didn't know about it.