Porteus v3.1rc2 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: LXDE3.5Manjaro, LXDE3.01-32bit

Re: Porteus v3.1rc2 bug reports

Post#46 by ElectriQT » 02 Dec 2014, 03:23

brokenman wrote:
Uhm ... and I thought I was ready and done for final shutdown of MATE, but found another bug. "Can't mount", hmm, ok"? No, it should ask for root passwd here right?
"Look under 'filesystem' and you will find that your partitions are already mounted under /mnt/sdxY. The name of this 'drive' in your picture is called FUJITSU (something you blacked out) which is clearly the drive and not a partition. You can't mount a drive. You can mount partitions of a drive. This is not just in mate but in ALL linux like distros, and win, and mac."

Yes ok, and if possible would it not be good if we had the option(with root passw) to mount partitions of for example that Fujitsu-drive shown here?, or even other brands too. :-D

The default behaviour of Caja is to not show the fixed drive partitions on the side. You can add them if you choose.
EDIT
If you want a partition to show, open a root terminal and type: showpart /mnt/sda5 or showpart <LABEL> where <LABEL> is the label of the partition you want to show in the left pane of Caja.
Oki, I will try if/when in MATE next time,

The mount manager appears to show you trying to unmount a partition as guest, receiving a warning that you couldn't unmount, and then showing with a pink dot that the drive was not unmounted. Is this unusual?
1. Mount manager as superuser. 95Gig free at sda1, click unmount, Says "ok"
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=206114F2 ... 89!187&v=3

2. But filemanager still Show us the folders in sda1, (but "free space" below now refer to something else)
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=206114F2 ... 89!188&v=3

3. And it gets even more confusing when I refresh the mount manager, as it still say mounted ...after the sucessfull unmount, but free space shown there is wrong..:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=206114F2 ... 89!185&v=3
So here I beleve it still might be mounted ..anyway.. so I test in terminal, umount as guest, now it DID unmount, and now finally it also shows "no" in the mount manager for sda1.

I did try about the same thing in LXQT rc2 now, (now sda1 is not a fuijitsu hdd, I just have a single usb stic only, in this puter) LXQT seems to have the same "problem", but it seems also to be related with if another root terminal is open or not at that partition , for example as root to cd /mnt/sdb1 and ls do show me files & folders, then it is not possible to unmount, even if it DO say "OK" when I click unmount in mount manager, as superuser... )

(because ls (?) as root will keep the partition as "busy"(???) ,
but the mount manager dont know or report that at all it seems, it just says "unmount, OK" success, great! ..not. )

Also:
it does not seem to refresh the mount-status, in the mount manager. Not as it should do ..I believe,
so I got a bit out of "sync" there with my mind Vs. indicators.. :-)

And also.. the symbols in filemamager (LXQT rc2) ..right now.. showing it as mounted, but mount manager says "no" as in not mounted, and the terminal says it can not umount! hehe...
-Gaaaaah...
Sorry if I do someting really stupid and a show of lot of newbeeErrors here now..

Code: Select all

(here, or after next line it is "mounted =no",  acording to the mount manager)
root@porteus:/home/guest# cd /mnt/sda1
root@porteus:/mnt/sda1# ls
USB_INSTALLATION.txt*  boot/  downs/  porteus/

ok, but it is really still mounted.. , right?
So lets try to unmount again from here also:

root@porteus:/mnt/sda1# umount /mnt/sda1
umount: /mnt/sda1: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

Uhm... Ok, maybe I dont understand Linux yet at all?
So Lets go to user instead:

root@porteus:/mnt/sda1# exit
exit
guest@porteus:~$ umount /mnt/sda1
umount: only root can unmount /dev/sda1 from /mnt/sda1
umount: /mnt/sda1 is not mounted (according to mtab)
So What happen in that last line?
well, I did click on the usb-symbol(as guest) to unmount from PCmanFM instead.. Hmm.
Is all this expected behaviors?

The USM screenshot shows a window with you pointing to the slackware version and gnu version of bash. USM shows only slackware packages, not source files for gnu. It will only provide you with what slackware provides as the latest packages.
yes of course, and Sorry I actually did click make or activate module from *source* there, I believe! brain-fart here.. or something. Maybe I should delete that screenshot later so it dont confuse some other new user

EDIT
Confirmed the bug with the menu in gimp (a new addition to mate). Looks like I will have to go back to the standard gimp theme unless anyone good with themes can find this problem.
-Ok, but menus works anyway, so it does not matter that much now. :-)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#47 by brokenman » 02 Dec 2014, 18:09

The unmount gives an error because you are still IN the folder that you are trying to unmount. If you cd to outsude of the device you will be able to unmount it. I think I understand what you are saying about the mount manager, but will need to review it tonight. In any case we are a few days off 3.1 final so it may have to be pushed in an update at a later time.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#48 by brokenman » 03 Dec 2014, 20:36

Yes ok, and if possible would it not be good if we had the option(with root passw) to mount partitions of for example that Fujitsu-drive shown here?
Ok, yes. You are the second person to ask about it. I've decided to to make the file manager show the partitions in the side panel of the file manager. It is easier this way. Root will be required to mount/unmount. For those people that don't want a desktop cluttered with 13 partitions (my case) then the filemanager should have options to not display icons on the desktop.

Those that don't want a partition showing at all will have to edit fstab.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#49 by ElectriQT » 07 Dec 2014, 23:14

Bug search in LXQT 32bit Rc2:

Open up my bookmark-file in a new tab in Firefox,
then browse to another site ,,in that same tab,

Later I try to unmount my usb, but cant do that, I got " Error, failed to eject medium, one or more volumes on the medium are busy"
So I suspect the bookmark file, even that it is no longer viewed at all.

I Cant find anything from that usbstick "active" in anywhere, and no terminalconsole open, so I reloaded tab, and reload in Filamanager, but still I have the same situation.
Then I go back (arrow) to this bookmark and it shows, I reload,
I now close that tab +reload in filamanager, but still the same problem, we cant unmount the usb.

2. Language tool disappears even in this desktop, LXQT 32 Rc2, even with 2 languages still there in the list:
I Removed Russian to make space for Swedish (the tool was maxed out with 4 filled in as default, so all people that need other local keyboard must remove "something")
Then I Removed the one on top, probably it was US-language/keyboard,
The tool disappears from the bottom right panel, even when I still had 2 languages left in the list.

- It is an Easy fix if this "disappear" problem happen for other readers, in the terminal, write:
setxkbmap se
, "se" here for local keymap of Sweden, use you local 2-char country code, that will solve the situation and give you your keys back , åäöÖ! :-)

3. Screen problem:
Got some glitch graphics errors, text seems to disapears or was broken and things render a bit strange, but not all the time.
I Cant "reproduce" it, but it seems (maybe) be related to low memory situations.

"Lightbug" :
Screen Backlight control, it does not work at all.
HP 6715b ,
(I will test an older LXDE soon to see if the screen-brightness controls works on this Laptop at all in Porteus)

4. -Strange Issues with the Wifi:

4.1 Disabled radios with the touch button, but in LXQT it was never possible to re-enable it again the same way.

4.2 Disabled wifi, right click in the network menu in "system tray", when re-enabling the wifi seems to work, it finds my accespoint,
But.. Now when I type in the passwd (hmm, it was needed again..) It counts passwd char in a strange way (normally Porteus dont allow me to connect if it is less than 8 Char passwd, but now it enables this button @ only 5 char, then it disables it again, up to 15 char, then disable again,,.

But if I use only one and the same letter, for example AAAA.... then It ONLY enables the connect button at 5 and 10 and 13 and 26 char passwd length, No other lengths allowed :%)
Hmmm.. to bad that my accesspoint dont have that lengths in the passwd.. So I had to shut the Laptop down and restart LXDE just to be able to log in again at the AP.. :-)

Volume controll:
Master Volume at max (from volume controll at touch-button at the laptop) = only about 75% or so. way to low,
Therefore always needed to go in settings and also change "Speaker" level to 100%.

Kind regards

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#50 by fanthom » 08 Dec 2014, 03:47

@ElectriQT
1) you could run 'fuser' against usb stick mount point to see which processes are accessing files on it.
2) qxkb is buggy but we do not have a better replacement in qt (but not KDE) world
3) and 4) are hardware related issues so cant say much without having a look on the log files, please generate psinfo report
5) will add to my TODO list for next release to set volume level for all channels and not just master

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#51 by Ed_P » 08 Dec 2014, 05:40

ElectriQT wrote:4. -Strange Issues with the Wifi:
:
:
:
But.. Now when I type in the passwd (hmm, it was needed again..) It counts passwd char in a strange way (normally Porteus dont allow me to connect if it is less than 8 Char passwd, but now it enables this button @ only 5 char, then it disables it again, up to 15 char, then disable again,,.

But if I use only one and the same letter, for example AAAA.... then It ONLY enables the connect button at 5 and 10 and 13 and 26 char passwd length, No other lengths allowed :%)
Hmmm.. to bad that my accesspoint dont have that lengths in the passwd.. So I had to shut the Laptop down and restart LXDE just to be able to log in again at the AP.. :-)
What are you using to enter the passwd characters? Firefox?
Ed

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#52 by ElectriQT » 08 Dec 2014, 09:59

Ed_P wrote:
ElectriQT wrote:4. -Strange Issues with the Wifi:
:
:
:

What are you using to enter the passwd characters? Firefox?

LXQT 32bit, rc2
It is a network wifi tool, in system tray.
"NetworkManager Applet 0.9.8.8"

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#53 by ElectriQT » 08 Dec 2014, 11:06

fanthom wrote:@ElectriQT
1) you could run 'fuser' against usb stick mount point to see which processes are accessing files on it.
2) qxkb is buggy but we do not have a better replacement in qt (but not KDE) world
3) and 4) are hardware related issues so cant say much without having a look on the log files, please generate psinfo report
5) will add to my TODO list for next release to set volume level for all channels and not just master

thanks
Oki, Im not capable,
but maybe you can see problems in this output:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# fuser -m -v -a /mnt/sda1
root@porteus:/home/guest# fuser -m -v -a /mnt/sda1
Cannot stat file /proc/2660/fd/40: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/2660/fd/53: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/2660/fd/56: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/2660/fd/72: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/2660/fd/104: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/6950/fd/16: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/6950/fd/17: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/6950/fd/18: Stale NFS file handle
                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/mnt/sda1:           root     kernel mount /mnt/sda1

Htop says, (I sort on PID), 
2660 = firefox, but why 2660?, it is just one of all the PIDs of all of the other foxes running in there.. 
6950 = /usr/bin/lxterminal    Hm? is that the terminal used for the "fuser" itself reported here  ?

( So maybe this is an user error? I started Porteus this time as "Always fresh" (for this bug report) instead of load all to ram as I always normally do. So maybe it is a normal behavior with "not allowed" to take out a stick/system "disk"... when in "fresh"-mode,  Sorry I never used this mode before.  will try with copy2ram later also.)

ok, I see.
Or maybe just a link to a text file, or script, that explains the terminal command needed,
is that possible to have in the status bar?
the "setxkbmap xx" will do it for 99.x % of the new linuxusers ?
+remove the "tool" as it adds problems for new users

3-4.
"HW issues", "psinfo" ok, maybe I can look in to that later,

"5) will add to my TODO list for next release to set volume level for all channels and not just master"
im not sure that is a good way, then it will be x bigger steps ? On some machines it is already to big steps, like:
- hmm, let see, our PA-speaker system is a bit to low, lest increase one "step" here .. -Gaahh.TO LOUD! :shock:
;-)

-is there a special reason or init that sets all specials to not be at 100% from fresh start now?

I think If the master is lower, that is OK, and even a preferred way to do it by most people, I assume,
don't wake up the full neighborhood at system start.

But all the others can be and should(?) be at 100% default, the:
Pcm, Headphones, Speaker etc, can you have them default to 100% ?

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#54 by ElectriQT » 08 Dec 2014, 22:48

A small Bug found in LXQT 32, rc2
After a download in Firefox, selected "Open Containing Folder".

this link is wrong, It shows me files in "/", so that is not correct,

it should be "/home/guest/Downloads" OR the latest selected and used save-folder.

Kind Regards

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#55 by fanthom » 08 Dec 2014, 23:33

@ElectriQT
1) i hope you are not saving changes on /mnt/sda1? if yes then it would explain why you cant unmount the stick. or maybe firefox is configured to save caches up there?

2) i think in LXQT people will have to control keyboard layouts through the 'kmap=' cheatcode which supports up to 4 layouts switchable with Alt+Shift shortcut and even layout variants. qxkb is not needed at all.

5) that's why it will be better to set all the channels to 75% by default so it wont be too loud. users can always control defaults with 'volume=%' cheatcode.

6) will fix for next release. you should definitely post these earlier as 3.1 final goes live today.
will patch what i can through the PSC->updates.

thanks

Anniekin
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: alphaOS

Post#56 by Anniekin » 13 Dec 2014, 05:57

I used the iso build wizard for porteus with AMD driver selected, the iso went up in size to 275mb, however the driver is nowhere to be found in my system neither in base nor modules folder

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#57 by fanthom » 13 Dec 2014, 19:18

i can confirm this bug.

@Hamza
any chance you could fix this one? must be something easy like different driver name. would be perfect if wizard could discover driver module names automatically as they are not standard unlike every other modules.

thanks

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#58 by Hamza » 13 Dec 2014, 23:25

Hi,

It should be fixed now.

Cheers, Hamza
NjVFQzY2Rg==

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#59 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 13:37

fanthom wrote:@ElectriQT
1) i hope you are not saving changes on /mnt/sda1? if yes then it would explain why you cant unmount the stick. or maybe firefox is configured to save caches up there?
No, Dont think I did, sda1 is the porteus USB-stick here, (no hdd)
I normally always only run Porteus in "copy2ram"-mode, but for that bug report I might have been in "always fresh", as I read somewhere that it was preferred.
(So maybe that s normal in "fresh", to lock my boot-device for unbounting, I dont know yet.)

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai

Post#60 by ElectriQT » 14 Dec 2014, 16:08

2) i think in LXQT people will have to control keyboard layouts through the 'kmap=' cheatcode which supports up to 4 layouts switchable with Alt+Shift shortcut and even layout variants. qxkb is not needed at all.
Ok,
The main Problem was in a clean boot/reboot,
(before any savings of a new local configuration to the save-module was made or used. )

Not so much that a "switching"-tool is needed here,
I my self never switch between, I just set it right to match the keyboard signs and then use it.

But maybe it is of great use if you are on Greek layout and need to change alphabet all the time? Here (Sweden/scandinavia) we do have all the English letters, + just 3 more. Or 6 more if you also count types from the upper case.. :-)

So The main problem was when language in the ISO configurator did not work.

And your default keyboard language and alphabet letters cant be reached from your keyboard at all. As a new Linux user you cant find your ways yet. = At the first boot keys dont work, the wifipasswd cant be typed in, so no search for help.., the root password keys from the ISO configurator cant be pressed... (as the "language" setting in isoconfigurator did not work. it it is not one of the maxed out 4 defaults, At least it was the case the last time I checked this summer) ,
hehe.